Author Topic: Henry Cole of Pinchbeck Fen  (Read 9993 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cole of Pinchbeck Fen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, I have (somewhere!) photos of the two churches although only St Mary`s is relevant as St. Bartholomew`s was built after the brothers left for Aus.The family lived at Six House(es) Bank and Hammond Beck Bank, I have no photo of those addresses as we could not find them. Pinchbeck seemed not to have a centre as such and we were a bit lost. We went to St Mary`s church one Sunday and people were very kind, pointing out some family graves in the burial ground and we were shown a photo of the Minister who married some relatives .His handwriting is almost illegible, ---Stravenson Wilson.
As yet I do not know about the connection with Japan, I`m hoping  the book will make all clear.
I`ll have to hope the photos are still on the disc in the camera,I`d like to send them to the author of the book I mentioned.
Thanks again. Viktoria.

Offline Danilouis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 May 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,

My name's Danielle. I was born & raised in Sydney, lived in London for 14 years & now live in Brisbane.

Thomas Cole & Rebecca Jane Cordley are my Great, Great, Great, Great GRANDPARENTS!!

I went to a family reunion last month in Sydney & one of my Uncles has been working tirelessly on our family tree & I only received my file on all the information tonight!

Unfortunately what I've been given on that side of the family stop with Thomas born 1801 & Rebecca Born: 1803. Son's William & Thomas (my Great, great, great Grandfather) & wives sailing to our lovely Aussie shores on the Harriet.

Supposidley I can log onto another site to read about Thomas Cole's life. Which I'd be more than happy to share. What's your relationship to them (me)??! And do you live in Lincolnshire?!

Cheers Dani

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Danilouis, How lovely to hear from you.
My Great Grandmother was the younger sister of Henry, Thomas etc. who sailed to Australia.
Thomas and Rebecca (Cordley )are my Great Great Grandparents.

She--Eliza-- stayed in Lincolnshire, married and lived in Nottinghamshire and after being widowed and re-marrying went to live in Lancashire where  I live.
Not a lot is known about her or her descendants by the Australian side of the family. Quite understandable really. My Dad always said he had a cousin in Australia, I`m wondering if it is a descendant of  my Grandfather`s sister Rebecca Ann, whose married name was Dixon.I keep coming up against a brick wall.That would be the only first cousin he would have.
There is a book about the Cole brothers who went to Australia, called "For God and Gold". Do you have it or do you even know about it? It goes right through the generations to present day, an enormous  task  very well done. Let me know if you need details. There is also an account of  his voyage  by Henry  , which  I must try to get.
My Great Grandmother Eliza had two children, Henry Thomas and Rebeccca Ann ,to her first husband James Wright who died young.
Her second husband Dobson Addy seemed to disappear and does not appear on any census forms at all with Eliza, but appears in Yorkshire described as "Unmarried" whilst Eliza in Manchester is described as a widow.So what had gone wrong I can`t find out.
Do let me know if I can help you at all. Thankyou for contacting me . Kindest regards.Viktoria.
                         Dobson Addy( 2)      Eliza Cole- m- James Wright (1)
                                                                        |   
                                              Mary Blakemore -m-  HenryThomas _____Rebecca Ann-m- Dixon
                                                                       |        Wright( later changed to Addy)     |
                                                                                                                              Norah.
                                     Alice Pomphrey -  m -   Wilfred Henry Addy                                             
                                                                |
                                          Pauline Mary_____Marcia Viktoria.
                                          1934                      1937
My Grandfather changed his surname to Addy from Wright but his sister Rebecca Ann kept their proper surname of Wright.V.

Offline Danilouis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Viktoria!

It was wonderful to get a reply from you so quickly  :D

I'm at the airport with my mother about to board a plane to Japan for 2 weeks. So I will be out of action. I don't have the paperwork on me but I would live to provide you with my family tree when I get home to see where we both fit in!

I can't believe I lived in England for 14 years & had no idea where our English roots lived.

My husband is English (Born Liverpool) so my daughter has dual nationality so we are back in the fold of the motherland-lol!

Flights been called so I'm off. I would love to hear more about your side of the family.

Cheers for now,

Dani

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
You will of course get this when you get back and I`m looking forward  to hearing from you again .                                                                                                                                    I`m hoping you have a lovely visit to Japan.

My sister has a  marrried  daughter in Sydney, with two children  , she also has a son there.           Cheerio for now.Kind regards. viktoria.

Offline aussiewench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 June 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the Cole side of my family I too am related to Thomas Cole & Rebecca Jane Cordley cant remember how but i do remember the names had a computer crash and lost everything  :( ... coles girls married in to my Charman family for 3 generations starting with Rebecca Cole  married William CHARMAN (1846-1911) then their son David CHARMAN (1881-1957) married Maggie Cole and their son my grandfather Eric CHARMAN (1910-dec.- decesed ),married Eva Gladys Cole  (Eva G Cole & Eric Charman were also 1st Cousins, 1ce
Removed.)
ok just found this hidden on my external hard drive

Thomas was the first son born to Thomas and Ann Cole. He was born on 14th November, 1855 in Sydney, New South Wales, before the family moved to the goldfields around Sofala. Thomas married Alice Selina (Dolly) Robinson on 9th October, 1884 at the home of Dolly's step-father, James Hammond at Green Valley, Sofala. Witnesses to their marriage were William Cole and Margaret Hammond.

Thomas and Dolly lived in the Turondale/Sofala area all their married life. They had nine children. Thomas worked as a miner but he also worked as a labourer on surrounding farms in the area to supplement his income. When the river was in flood, they could not cross for weeks, so in order to get their supplies they had to travel up the Wyagdon to Hill End and then down to Sofala.

Thomas suffered from epilepsy and was described as an invalid pensioner at his death. He had problems with his heart for the last two years of his life. He died in Bathurst Hospital at 3am on 21st April, 1925 of mitral and muscular disease of the heart as well as an epileptic fit. He was buried at Holy Trinity Church in Kelso on 22nd April, 1925.

Maggie was the second daughter of Thomas and Ann Cole. She was born in Sofala on 6th March, 1888 and she was baptised on 10th April of that year. At 19 years old, Maggie married David Charman on 2nd January, 1907 in Sofala. David was her first cousin. Maggie died on 12th June, 1969 in Bathurst and she was cremated at Orange

Ruby was born in 1902 in Sofala New South Wales ans she was baptised on 29th June of the same year. She only lived for five months and she was buried in Sofala.

Lionel was the fifth and youngest child born to Arthur and Margaret Cole. He was born on 21st February, 1910 in Turondale, New South Wales. Lionel was 40 years old when he married Enid Hazel Duncan (nee Cox) on 2oth January, 1951. They lived in a house built by Lionel on Good Luck Station, the property owned by his parents. Lionel's father had died, so he worked the property of 3000 acres. Being older when he married he was set in his ways and many times Enid had to provide the money for the housekeeping. Lionel was a good sportsman, playing cricket and tennis.

Lionel suffered from emphysema which caused his death on 26th August, 1989 in Turondale and he was buried at the Holy trinity Church, Kelso.

Arthur was born at Turondale on 11th February, 1871. He was the eleventh and last child of William and Mary. In 1895 Arthur married Margaret Ann Gale  at Wallaby Rocks at the bride's parents home. The witnesses to their marriage were George Gale, Sarah Charman and Alfred Gale. They lived with Granny Cole until they built their own humpy. They had a family of ten children but several others were born stillborn and as was the custom of the day they would have been buried on the property and they were not always registered.

Arthur worked as a miner, bush worker and on the land until he bought "Good Luck Station" in about 1928, which consisted of 1763 acres of land and he was considered a very hard worker.

Arthur died on 29th November, 1944 at Turondale and he did not leave a will, so the estate was divided between Margaret and their children.

Eva Gladys Cole was the 10th and youngest child of Arthur and Margaret Cole, born on 11th December, 1911 at Turondale, New South Wales. Eva attended school at Turondale until she was thirteen when the school closed down. She helped her mother at home after leaving school.

On 16th December, 1931 Eva married Eric Charman, who was a second cousin, once removed. Witnesses to their marriage were Nellie Charman and Lionel Cole, the bride's brother. They first lived at Turondale and then moved to Bathurst about 1943 for a couple of years. At one stage they lived in the school residence at Turondale.They had six children and a stillborn baby.

They moved to Sydney and lived at 26 Toohey Avenue, Westmead and Eric worked at Goodyear Tyres at Rose Hill for twenty five years. They separated during this time. Eva lived with her daughter, Marlene in Springfield, Brisbane, Queensland until her death on 5th December, 2006

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 June 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Aussiewench, hello, thankyou for your email.
There is a very comprehensive family tree and if you care to  put in -FOR GOD AND GOLD , Rev Henry Cole, it will  enable you  to view the whole family tree . The tree is enormous and you will find all you need. I feel it is only polite of me to suggest you contact the people who have done so much research, they are very generous and helpful but so much effort can`t be just ignored I`m sure you agree.They will direct you to their tree and all you need.
If you have seen my previous post  you`ll know I am descended from one of the two daughters, ( Eliza) both of whom stayed in  England. Only some sons went to Australia.
I remember the names you mentioned and you will be thrilled to bits when you see just how much detail is there. Kind regards and let me know how you get on. If no success I`l help if I can.
 Viktoria.

Offline elliemarg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 June 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dani, I just read your message on the Cole family. I am also a descendent of Thomas and Rebecca Cole, their son Thomas and his wife Ann Harrison.  I have been researching the family for 7 years and I was most interested that you attended a reunion in Sydney recently. I would love to attend the next gathering if that's possible. There is a reunion every Easter at Turondale near Bathurst and some of the descendents have built a small memorial near the site of Thomas and Ann's homesite on Round Hill station. They also had a time capsule placed inside this memorial to be opened in fifty years and added to with the next generation. I have my Cole Family Tree on Ancestry and I try to work on it every day. I would love to be in contact with you. I lived in Sydney until moving to the mid North Coast a few years ago but I still have family living in Sydney. I hope to hear from you. Regards, Ellena :-*

Offline aussiewench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:06 BST (UK) »
thanks my sister has a copy of FOR GOD AND GOLD that her daughter bought at the cole reunion in the Bathurst area a few years back ..I rang her last night and asked if I could get a loan of it ..  ;D