Author Topic: PC to MAC - can I? Should I?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
PC to MAC - can I? Should I?
« on: Saturday 10 March 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
OK I have a confession.

When my Toshiba laptop PC broke recently (screen no longer works) I was tempted by the style of a Macbook Air and bought one. Style over substance? - we'll see!!

Marvellous for my work - didn't give my family tree programme a second thought!

I was running FTM2009 (I think) and have an extensive tree which I can no longer see, though it is still safely there, on the PC.

Question: Should I buy FTMM2 and try to transfer my data from PC to Mac and will this likely be successful?

Does anyone have any experience of doing this or are there other ideas? Are other Mac programmes better - for example Reunion seems to have much of the same functionality and would it allow me to transfer and save my data?

Currently tempted to get the PC mended anyway, as it might almost be cheaper than re-purchasing the software!!

Help!!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PC to MAC - can I? Should I?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »

Hi Arranroots

I was tempted by the style of a Macbook Air and bought one.

I'm envious!   :)

I do know that FTM2010 & 2011 were not (natively) compatible between the Mac and PC versions, as per this post:
http://www.tamurajones.net/SomeFamilyTreeMakerForMacDetails.xhtml

From what I've read, nothing has changed and the Windows/Mac versions are still incompatible although Tamura Jones does mention a Windows conversion application ... and there is always the Gedcom export/import method.

I can't speak from personal experience (pen and paper here), but I believe PrueM uses Reunion.

Cheers
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That article looks like a good starting point, thanks Koromo - I'm off to have a closer read!

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
If its only the screen thats faulty and not the graphics card, the cheaper option would be to buy a cheap monitor and attach to the laptop to use family history.

Just check the monitor has the same connections as thep laptop before purchasing, some only come with DVI or HDMI connections now but you can still get ones that have the older style VGI connections

Just a thought
Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Yes, I have connected the laptop to an old monitor and that works but is a bit cumbersome. Not the same as having everything on the Mac which I can transport very easily - the reason for buying the thing in the first place.

I would like to hear from anyone who has transferred their FTM tree from PC to Mac successfully - or not!

Thank you!

Offline NancyRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I switched from a PC to a Mac a little over a year ago. I had a large Family Tree Maker database on the PC - I think it was FTM 2008? I migrated it to FTM 2010 for the Mac without a problem.

Here's info on the migration utility:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/sab_answer.php?p_faqid=5313

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks NancyRose - that's going to be very helpful if I take the plunge! Looks as though I would still be able to access most of the things I have saved.

Somewhere along the line it seems like a good idea to print out some of this stuff too, but that's another adventure!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline NancyRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear Arranroots,

I'm happy to say that I didn't lose anything at all when switching to FTM for the Mac. And I must say that I love my Mac - can't see myself ever switching back to a PC. (And this is from someone who used to teach people how to use PCs!)

Best of luck to you in whichever path you choose with this!

Best regards,

Nancy

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 12 07:17 BST (UK) »
A bit late in the day here, but I have just switched from PC to Mac.  My FTM 2006 tree transferred without any problems to FTM2 for Mac and I love the new format  ;D

It has raised a question through, I already subscribe to Ancestry and my renewal is not due for about three months.  Does anyone happen to know if the free 6 month subscription I got with FTM2 can be added on to my existing account or should I activate it after my existing subscription runs out?

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk