Author Topic: Looking for the Fowler family home in Elburton, Plympton 1900  (Read 7734 times)

Offline PJbuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for the Fowler family home in Elburton, Plympton 1900
« on: Monday 16 May 05 10:40 BST (UK) »
Does any body know a house called Hazeldene ?

My Grand father George Fowler was born in 1914 at a house near Plymouth

called Hazeldean or was it Hazeldene ?  the address was

Plymstock road, Elburton, Plympton. His father was Major Sidney Fowler.

My G,G Grandmother Elizabeth fowler sadly past away at the same address in

1914, her Husbands name was George fowler born in 1843, 

he owned the Albion hotel Plymouth from abt 1875 to early 1900,

now called the new continental.

Does anyone no anything about the house Hazeldean/Hazeldene

or know anything more about the fowler family of Plymouth between

1900 - 1915

Thanks
PJ Henville ;D

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Fowler family home in Elburton, Plympton 1900
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 05 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
Your message caught my eye as I am a Plymothian.
Today have been into the local Reference Library looking at old maps on your behalf but found nothing of any great interest.  At the time the area was only starting to be developed.
All I found in a Kelly's Devonshire Directory listing was:-
Capt Fowler Sidney RFA Hazeldean Elburton Plymstock Plymouth.
It was not clear if it was mean to be read as Sidney R.F.A. Fowler or whether he was a Captain in the RFA (which I think would be more likely).
At that time Plymstock area was just outside the city boundaries - now the road to the west is known as Plymstock Road, Plymstock, Plymouth and the east of the road would fall within the Oreston area so would be Plymstock Road, Oreston.   
As you can gather Plymstock Road is a long road.  It was my intention to try and find exactly where Hazeldean was situated and then go over and take some photos for you but it could take me hours and then come up nothing.  With the advent of uPVC doors the house names on fanlights over the original doorways have been discarded but en route home it did cross my mind whether the local Post Office would be able to throw any light on the problem.
If you can make the necessary enquiries and come up with the house number let me know and I would be only too pleased to pop across and take some photographs.
Best wishes, Priscilla.

Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline JMartinW

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This is no help to you I'm afraid but coincidentally I am looking for details the Family  that probably bought the Albion Hotel, Plymouth around the time your George Fowler sold it. Their name was Dent and if you ever come across anything regarding them and the sale of the Hotel I'd be very grateful to hear of it.

with regards
Martin

Offline CWT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:32 BST (UK) »
Dear PJ Henville,

Just to let you know that Hazeldene House was demolished some ten years ago.  The site is now part of a stone quarry and public access is not allowed - rock blasting takes place 2 - 3 times per week.  I'm told by one of the guys who helped demolish the building that the house was probably Victorian - it had a large stainglass entrance, stables, some out buildings and a walled garden.  Only part of the garden wall now survives, the rest is overgrown rubble.  It stood on its own reasonable sized grounds. 

Do you have any old family photo's of the house - I would be interested to see?

I will continue to see if I can find more information.

Regards
CWT

Offline paul gueret

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 December 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have just been sent a photo of a house called hazeldene in Elburton Plymouth
pics taken around 1900s
when part of my clan-the Pitts lived there
If you are interested in more drop me an email

Moderator Comment; email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses, as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: new members will need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functiona
l

Offline ElinorM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning, I know I am a little late on in this trail, but I discovered your conversation when I myself was searching through archives and google for some information on George Fowler. I am the Development Manager for the New Continental Hotel here in Plymouth, which was the two hotels; Albion and Continental Hotel.  I feel like I am gaining a huge amount of rich history on our Grand Old Lady, with wonderful images and funny facts! If you feel I could help, or if indeed you feel you may have some information to share, it would be great to hear from you. Elinor

Offline Fancycake

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
from what ive found sidney fowler may have been in the royal navy volunteer was the son of george and elizabeth at haye road elburton then they may have been involved in hots or bb in torbay ? some info seems very un clear here census shows albion hotel

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
from what ive found sidney fowler may have been in the royal navy volunteer was the son of george and elizabeth at haye road elburton then they may have been involved in hots or bb in torbay ? some info seems very un clear here census shows albion hotel

I am in Torbay and can get some photos if you come up with any specifics.  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline AndrewDP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I've found a 1907 map which shows Hazeldean... It's top right on the attached map and you can just make out the name Hazeldean. It's available to buy on eBay at the moment for  £15, just search for Elburton and you'll see it.  You'll also see on eBay a POW postcard from WW2 from Hazeldean Camp, which is probably where your ancestors lived!

I visited Hazeldean once in the late 1970s as I used to have a friend who lived there. By then the house had been sub divided into upstairs and downstairs flats, but it has since been demolished. I have an aerial photo from 1983 which shows the house,  but it's too large to upload here. I'll see if I can resize it and upload another time.