Author Topic: War of 1812  (Read 922 times)

Offline rdwags79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
War of 1812
« on: Monday 12 March 12 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a 3x great grandfather that I believe was in the War of 1812.  Does anyone know they best place to search for him to find information? 
Thanks in advance.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: War of 1812
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 07:58 GMT (UK) »
A bit more info would help us help you. On which side did he fight - British or American? Army or Navy (or don't know)? Any clue whether officer or other ranks (officers usually easier to sort out)?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming he was British...
And do you have any idea of his unit? Was he still alive in 1847? Approximate date of birth/place of birth?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline rdwags79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 12 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorryfor the lack of info. His name was Abel Barton Fuller living in Candor, Tioga, New York.  He was  American.  I have found one instance where he was paid :
#15,679
 Fuller. Abel B.
 Candor, Tompkins Co., NY
 There are a lot of Abel B Fuller's out there but my ancestors birthdate is believed to be July 10, 1792 born in Oneida, New York.
I am looking for more information about his part in the War of 1812. 
There was an Abel Fuller with the 30th Infantry of VT.  I read that they did a NY campaign to recruit soldiers for the Battle of Plattsburgh.  Could be him but not sure how to prove this.  I guess I should request his pension papers..is the number above his pension #?
Thanks in advance.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan