Author Topic: *Help* with 1911 search for McNair *COMPLETED*  (Read 1981 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*Help* with 1911 search for McNair *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 12 March 12 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Could all you wonderful S/P gurus please help me find a missing McNair family.  Not a novice to S/P myself, I'm stuggling with this one and wonder if anyone could give me some pointers.

Here's the family in 1901:

Residing at 21 Reid St Springburn, Reg. District 644/03

John McNair, Head, aged 42, Corporation Lorry Driver, Worker, b Kilmartin, Argylshire
Jane McNair, Wife, aged 36, b Methven, Perthshire
Isabella A. Arnott, adopted daughter, aged 7, Scholar, b Erskine, Renfrewshire

I have the death cert for John McNair dated 26 July 1916 at which time he was living at 74 Springburn Rd in the district of Dennistoun 644/04.  Jane was the informant (maiden name McLean)
I haven't seen her referred to as Jeanie.

I've tried any number of options and all to no avail.  ::)

Not sure either the norm with adopted children...would Isabella appear as 'McNair' on the next census? My belief is that she's 'Armit' not Arnott which is yet another anomaly to throw into the mix.

If only S/P used the search criteria of 'where born' on censuses it might just preserve my sanity.  ;D

Any and all help greatly appreciated...regards, Sage

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *Help* with 1911 search for McNair
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Sage

I did a search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You searched for: Surname: "m*cnair"; Surname Option: Wildcard; Forename: "john"; Forename Option: Prefix; Relative Forename: J*; Sex: "Male"; Age From: 50; Age To: 54; Year: 1911;

1 result

1911 MACNAIR JOHN M 50 CAMLACHIE GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/02 060/00 001

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bruce but no good I'm afraid.  ???

I was determined to believe that the family remained in Springburn/Dennistoun so used your m*nair in these two districts to get 24 hits (so just one credit) and yes, you guessed it...

Jane, out of the blue, is JEAN aged 46 and John has somehow aged 16 years in a single decade to become aged 58!  To add insult to injury there are three occupants of the household in Springburn but as John and Jean were at the bottom of the page I had to use yet another 5 credits, only to find that it was Jean's niece Annie, aged 22 and not Isabella.  ::)

Isabella wasn't one of those 24 McNair occupants of Springburn so either she's in service elsewhere or she has died pre 1911.  So once I've picked myself up and retrieved my bottom lip up off the floor I'll begin to plan my next move.  ;D

If anyone has any other suggestions they'd be most welcome.
Cheers, Sage.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Her death is recorded Sept 13 1905 Springburn Road, Glasgow

Isabella Armstrong Arnott, known as Jeanie McNair, illegitimate, aged 11
Mother - Maggie Arnott, domestic servant.
Cause - Heart Disease
Informant - Jane McNair, Guardian, present.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 12 10:00 GMT (UK) »
With further investigation of the 1911 McNair census I've established that Jane/Jean had 2 children and neither of them was still living in 1911.

I looked for an Isabella McNair, then Armit and finally Arnott.  She died of heart disease aged 11 in 1905 under the name Arnott (known as Jeanie McNair) so there ends a very long winded saga.  I'm satisfied that the child was whom I believed her to be even though the evidence is somewhat circumstantial.  

With thanks, Sage.

P.S. Just saw your post gnu...thanks!

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: *Help* with 1911 search for McNair *COMPLETED*
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have a John McNair (1857-1922) and Elizabeth Cardwell (1858-1920) their daughter Jeanie Cardwell McNair (1891-1962) was married to a Robert Armit, found one son John Simpson McNair Armit (1921-1965)
Wondering if any connections?

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: *Help* with 1911 search for McNair *COMPLETED*
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwicol,

To the best of my knowledge there's no connection here with respect to the Armit clans.  Your Robt was the son of Wm Armit and Eliza Bett (Inverkeithing) and I have found no connection (thus far) between this clan and the one that moved from Fife to Newmains, Lanarkshire that I research.  However, I couldn't say if there's a connection between the two McNair families mentioned here as I haven't researched them at all.
Regards, Sage.