Author Topic: Royal Sussex Regiment  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Royal Sussex Regiment
« on: Monday 12 March 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for more information about the above regiment in WWII particularly the 'Black Cats'.  A Google search has revealed very little except that the 'Black Cats' was the nickname of the 56th London Division.
My late father joined the regiment as a regular soldier in 1942 & bought himself out in 1948.  He served as a radio operator & served in Italy during the war.
I'm sitting here wishing I had asked more questions when he was alive but I would like to know where in Italy he might have served & what battles he might have been involved in,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Sussex Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Your post is a little confusing?
Did he transfer regiments during the war?

The 56th London Division was a Territorial unit?

The 56 (London) Infantry Division was a pre-war, first line Territorial Army formation. It landed at Salerno in Italy on 9 September 1943, having come from Libya. It was involved in the battles to recapture Naples in September 1943, the Volturno Crossing in October 1943, and Monte Camino in November and December 1943.  In January 1944, it was involved in the battles for the Garigliano Crossing. As the position at Anzio deteriorated, the division was transferred from X Corps to the U.S. VI Corps at Anzio. The division fought in the battle to secure the bridgehead, sustaining heavy casualties. It was withdrawn from Anzio to Egypt on 28 March 1944 to refit. The final offensive in Italy commenced on the 13 April 1945, with the division involved in forcing the Argenta Gap. The division remained in Italy, until it was disbanded in 1947.

The Royal Sussex Regiment doesn't appear to be linked to the 56th (London)?

The Royal Sussex raised 14 battalions for the Second World War, although only a few saw active service during the war. The regiment won one Victoria Cross during the war, that of Lionel Ernest Queripel
[edit] 1st Battalion

The 1st Battalion was based in Egypt at the outbreak of the Second World War, where it was attached to the 4th Indian Division, with whom it remained for the rest of the war. The battalion took part in the Western Desert Campaign, the Italian Campaign, where it was involved in the bloody Battle of Monte Cassino. During the battle the elements of the 1st Battalion were ordered into an attack in which they sustained over 50% casualties. In 1944 it was shipped across to Greece with Scobie's III Corps where it stayed until 1946.
[edit] 2nd Battalion

The 2nd Battalion was based in Ireland at the out break of war. They were joined with the 4th and 5th Battalions of the Regiment in the 133rd (Royal Sussex) Brigade as part of the 44th (Home Counties) Division. They were sent to the France in 1940, taking part in the fighting and rapid retreat to Dunkirk where they were evacuated. The brigade was sent to North Africa in 1942 where they fought in the Battle of Alam Halfa. The 44th Division was reported to have performed badly during that battle and was disbanded afterwards, the Royal Sussex Brigade was attached to various units after this. They fought at the Battle of El Alamein. In 1943 the 2nd Battalion and volunteers from the 4th and 5th Battalions were formed into the 10th Battalion, Parachute Regiment which landed with the 4th Parachute Brigade at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden in 1944. Captain Lionel Ernest Queripel, from the Royal Sussex won the Victoria Cross posthumously, at Arnhem. After the battle the battalion was dispersed.

A new 2nd Battalion was raised again, after the old one became 10th Para, and along with the 4th and 5th Battalions, was reformed with the 133rd Brigade which was sent to the forgotten theatre of war in Iraq and Persia in 1943 with the 6th Indian Division where they remained for the rest of the war.
[edit] Rest of the Regiment

The regiment also raised the 6th and 7th Battalions (both 2nd Line Territorial Army battalions) which were both in the 37th Infantry Brigade, part of the 12th Eastern Division. They also served in France in 1940 but suffered heavy casualties during the fighting. The 6th Battalion served as a Home Defence unit for the rest of the war and was disbanded in 1946. The 7th Battalion was disbanded in 1942.

The Royal Sussex raised another six battalions, mostly for home defence or as training units, but the 9th Battalion was sent in 1943 with the 72nd Infantry Brigade to fight in the Burma Campaign with the 36th Infantry Division. The battalion saw action in the Arakan, was airlifted into Myitkyina and fought its way to Mandalay by April 1945. It was in Burma when the Japanese surrendered.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad for your very full answer.
I don't remember him saying he transfered regiments.  We have his badge which says Royal Sussex Regiment (my brother has it so I'll check with him) & he always said it was the 'Black Cats'. He also said he was briefly in Egypt which seems to tie-in with the movements of the 56th which you say had no connection with the Royal Sussex  :-\
Did the Royal Sussex have training facilities in Brighton?  I ask as I have a photo of him in uniform but with no insignia on the uniform (plain khaki) taken by a Brighton photographer.  I've always thought this might have been his initial training (boot camp)  There's another photo of him with his unit probably taken in foreign parts as they are all wearing shorts.  The beret badges & any other identifying insignia are too small to be of any use.
The only certain path to take would be to get a copy of his service record.  But the last time I looked it seemed a bit of a palaver not to say costly.
Thanks once again,

Jane

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 12 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I think the Royal Sussex have a museum/archives place in Brighton.   Worth a look.  The Brighton History Centre may have records too.
Andrea

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 12 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Garisson and HQ were in Chichester.
Nicknames: The Orange Lilies, The Haddocks, The Iron Regiment

The Museum is in Eastbourne:
Redoubt Fortress & Military Museum, Royal Parade, Eastbourne
Run by Eastbourne Borough Council
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks one & all for your replies & links.
I checked the MOD site for service records & it all seems quite straightforward, although costs 30 pounds whether they find it or not  :-\
Spoke to my brother about the cap badge & he doesn't have a clue where it is  :( so that line of enquiry yielded nowt.
What would have been the minimum age for sign-up to the regular army in those days?  He was born in October 1927 which would have made him only 15 in 1942.  Seems a bit young to me.
Best bet is to get his service record then all will be revealed.  Has anyone applied for records?  If so did they take long to come through?

Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I have now realised what the 'connection' is between The Royal Sussex Regiment & The Black Cats.  After studying some photographs especially a portrait of my grandfather in Home Guard uniform.  I zoomed in on his sleeve insignia & saw that it was '25 Sx'.  Zoomed in on the cap badge & saw it was Royal Sussex.  Did some Googling & found that the 25th Sx Home Guard battalion was badged as Royal Sussex!  This battalion was a Southern Railway unit & my grandfather worked for them.  My father probably joined his father in the same Home Guard battalion hence his reference to The Royal Sussex Regiment!  Later he must have joined the 56th (Black Cats) as a regular soldier.
I'm quite chuffed I've unravelled that particular puzzle  ;)
Thanks for all of your help,
Jane