Author Topic: Herbert Samuel PALMER b. ca 1900 Bristol COMPLETED thanks to keyboard86  (Read 17562 times)

Offline judyjudy144

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Samuel PALMER b. ca 1900 Bristol COMPLETED thanks to keyboard86
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 July 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Herbert Samuel Palmer is my grandfather.  I would like to contact you.
Judy

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 July 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Herbert Samuel Palmer is my grandfather.  I would like to contact you.
Judy

Hi Judy,  Welcome to Rootschat, Suzanne has not been on-line for some time, and as you can see I have an avid interest in these families!

Would it be possible for you to post what knowledge you have of Herbert Samuel Palmer, and your thoughts on all the previous posts on this thread?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judyjudy144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I do not feel comfortable chatting however I am in need of information concerning my father's side of the family.  Suzanne & you seem to have found a bit but I could fill you in on more accurate information.  I would invite you to my family tree built on Ancestry.ca but this would require an email address and chatting information online for all to see is not the best forum.  Is there not a way to have a private chat?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I do not feel comfortable chatting however I am in need of information concerning my father's side of the family.  Suzanne & you seem to have found a bit but I could fill you in on more accurate information.  I would invite you to my family tree built on Ancestry.ca but this would require an email address and chatting information online for all to see is not the best forum.  Is there not a way to have a private chat?

Hi if you reply to this message, then you will be able to utilise the PM resource on Rootschat, as you would have made 3 posts, just click on my user name Keyboard86, and you will see on the left hand side, "Send PM" this will enable you to send a private message to me off forum, then I will endeavour to assist in anyway I can.

Keyboard86

Offline judyjudy144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 August 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello - Thank you for your quick response.  I'll give this a try :)

Offline judyjudy144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 August 13 03:35 BST (UK) »
As suggested, I am using the forum:)
On the Palmer line, I am sure of Herbert Samuel Palmer born 5 November 1888 in Bristol and died 3 March 1958 in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.  He and his brother Nathaniel Arthur Palmer born 12 February 1891 in Bristol came to Canada – Nathaniel paid the passage for Herbert’s family – Winifred Pretoria Herbert born 3 June 1900 in Plymouth, Devon died 26 September 1953 in Saint John, NB. and their two children Herbert Sydney Palmer and Winnifred May Palmer married. 
Herbert Samuel Palmer’s father was Samuel Palmer as recorded in the 1891 Census about Samuel Palmer:
   Age 27
   Spouse: Elizabeth
   Born: Bristol, Somerset, England
   Civil Parish: Bedmunster
   Ecclesiastical Parish: St. Paul
   Town: Bristol
   County/Island: Somerset
   Piece 1946, Folio 96, Page 20
   Household Members:     Samuel Palmer    age 27
      Elizabeth Palmer   age 22
      Hobert S Palmer   age 1
      Nathan Palmer   5/12

Samuel Palmer was born about 1864 in Bristol and married Elizabeth Mary Sweet – father George Henry Sweet and mother Elizabeth Johns.

On the Herbert side, I am sure of my grandmother Winifred Pretoria Herbert born 3 June 1900 and the place of birth is listed as Plymouth, Devon.  Death on 26 Sept. 1953 in Saint John, NB.
I have her father as James H.F. Herbert married to Eliza Ann and you found Stone as her surname.

The 1891 census about James H.F. Herbert:

Age 12 estimated birth 1879
   Father’s name: James Herbert
   Mother’s name:  Susan Herbert
   Born: Stonehouse, Cornwall, England
   Civil Parish: Egg Buckland
   Ecclesiastical Parish: Egg Buckland
   Town: Egg Buckland
   County/Island: Devon
   Piece 1722, Folio 144, Page8
   Household Members:     James Herbert    age 50
      Susan Herbert   age 49
      George F.   age 18
      James H.F.    age 12

You said “in 1901 Winifred is 10 months” and that sounds right as I have her born 3 June 1900.
You said her father “James H F Herbert is Frank b Stonehouse he marries as James Henry F to an Eliza Ann Stone Sept qtr 1897 Stoke D 5b 645 Stoke Damarel covered Devonport area”
How does a James H.F. Herbert become a Frank B. Stonehouse?  And the children listed in 1891 are George and James – no mention of any others.  However, I did find a JJ Herbert married to a James Herbert with the names of W. Herbert, Emily, Elis and Frank.  I don’t think they are the same.
In the 1911 census, James HF is 33 married 14 years to Eliza who is 45.  Children listed are Winifred P. 10 yrs, Victoria M 9 yrs and Frank S. 7 yrs.  By the way, Frank S is Frank Sydney and that is probably where my dad gets his name Herbert Sydney Palmer.
Thanks for the marriage of James HF & Eliza.  Since, I found his father was James Thomas Herbert born 1842 in Addlestrop, Gloucestershire.  He is my 2nd great grandfather. Thanks to you I have his father William.  Also, I have James Thomas’ spouse Susan Trevethick.  I find records for Susan Stephens Trevithick (i not e).  Birth 28 October 1838 Stoke Climsland Cornwall.  Her father is listed as William 1814-1873 born Calstock Cornwall and her mother as Susan Stephens 1815-? Tadcaster Devon.  They have 9 siblings for Susan.
Would you be good enough to check the spelling for Susan’s surname – census often showed different spellings.  The Trevithick vein looks good – what do you think?
If anyone can contribute to these findings, I will be very grateful. 
For the Palmer line, I am searching for the parents of Samuel Palmer birth about 1864 in Bristol and his wife’s (Elizabeth Mary Sweet 1869 -?) family George Henry Sweet 1849-1926 wife Elizabeth Johns 1848-1928.
For the Herbert line, I am searching for James Thomas Herbert’s father William and William’s wife.
Any hint is helpful as it can lead to more hints!  Thank you very much.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 August 13 04:08 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi Judy quick reply, "Frank B Stonehouse" means I either typed it incorrectly on my pm to you as it should be Frank was the "F" in James H F Herbert born in Stonehouse, Frank was the pet name his parents gave him, I also suggested his father James Mother Susan, Winifred aged 10 months, has her father as a Frank in 1901 Census ref RG13/2109/59/14
Also as I mentioned via PM the person Samuel & Elizabeth are with in 1891 is a Nathan Palmer 53 b Bedminster, and also showed the previous census returns with Samuel/Nathan snr on.

One further thing, just who then (again via PM) was the Nathan Palmer in a "Home" in 1901 aged 10 and the one departing the UK for Canada aged 14 in 1905 along with numerous other young children?

Also Nathans birth date in Febuary, as the 1891 census was taken on the 5th April 1891 he could not be 5 months old? Rather the 2 months I suggested after looking at the original?!

Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 August 13 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again Judy, this is the trouble when you have to backtrack all the PM  work you have done!

Look re James H F Herbert in 1891 he is with his brother George F.

This is the 1881 with mother Susan:-

Susan 39 occ Marines wife b Calstock
William 10
Frederick 8 ie ( George F)
Emily 6
Frank 2 ie (James H F )
Residing at East Stonehouse
Census ref RG11/2003/59/26
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 August 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again Judy, firstly the parents of Samuel Palmer b c 1864:-

As suggested, Samuel & his new wife are with a Nathan Palmer 53 Widower b Bedminster in 1891.

1881 Census

Nathan Palmer 40 occ Corn Porter b Luxborough, Somerset
Emily H 44 b London St Georges, Middx
Samuel occ 18 Coal Retailer b Bedminster
Residing at 31, Old Charlotte Street, Bedminster
Census Ref RG11/2450/128/44

1871 Census

Nathan Palmer 35 occ Corn Porter b Luxborough
Emily Hannah 38 b London
Samuel 8 b Bedminster
Plus 2 Boarders
Residing at Charlotte Street, Bedminster
Census Ref RG10/2505/132/41

1861 Census

Nathan Palmer 28 (Possibly 23 on original) occ General Labourer b Luxborough
Emiley 26 b St Georges, London
Residing at Still House Lane, Bedminster
Census Ref RG09/1705/73/2

Marriage:-

Nathan Palmer aged 22 Emily Hannah Nicholls aged 26
16th September 1860 Bedminster
Grooms Father Joel Palmer
Brides Father Felix Fenwick

First marriage for Emily H:-

Henry Nicholls 22 Emily Hannah Fenwick 19 19th February 1852 Bedminster
Grooms Father Charles Nicholls
Brides Father Felix Fenwick

Burial Emily Hannah Palmer 21st November 1889 St Mary, Redcliffe, Bristol aged 53 (I believe their is a good reason for this burial place, as I think this is where her family are from when Emily H was a Fenwick)
Remarriage for Nathan:-

Nathan Palmer 54 Widowed Alice Brown 26 Single
7th February 1892 St Paul's, Bedminster
Grooms Father Joel Palmer
Brides Father Henry Brown
Keyboard86