Author Topic: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890  (Read 11729 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I am a real "newbie" when it comes to searching Irish records.  Believe I have found a possible Co. Tyrone death on Family Search Irish Civil Registration Index but really don't know where to go from here.

I have had a "brick wall" - not finding the death of my elusive gggrandfather Francis McNab.  1864 Scottish Poor Law Application and 1871 Glasgow SCotland census are the only real records for him - thereafter he and wife disappear from Scotland. We have thought for some time, that he and his wife could have returned to Ireland. The Scottish records for a possible brother (?or cousin), Michael McNab lead me to a possible birthplace of ?Segully Co. Tyrone, so am hoping that a death in 1890 for Francis McNab in Omagh, Co. Tyrone, found on the Irish Index could be him.  There are also two possible deaths for a Mary McNab, (?his wife), in Omagh, first in 1885, second in 1889.  So, after much deduction I am thinking that I should try to obtain the 1890 death entry for Francis. 

I have read the information page on familysearch re the Ireland Civil Registration, but am confused as to whether the Index information (Volume number, page number and digital folder number), they give refers to the GRO or the GRONI records.  Who do I order from?

Help - I am confused and going around in circles!  Anyone - any advice?
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I have read the information page on familysearch re the Ireland Civil Registration, but am confused as to whether the Index information (Volume number, page number and digital folder number), they give refers to the GRO or the GRONI records.  Who do I order from?

For BMD records before 1922 it's the same index and records for GRO or GRONI. You can use the references from the index to order a cert from either.

The folder/film reference is for LDS use and not relevant to GRO records.

Note that Irish death certs do not give a much detail as Scottish ones - see link below

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Ordering Certificates for NI counties

Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »

Thank you very much Shane for such a prompt response.  Glad to know that the GRO and GRONI records are the same.  I am still a bit confused about your comment "The folder/film reference is for LDS use and not relevant to GRO records.  When I have obtained previous records via LDS they always have a microfilm number whereas the info I have found on this Index states

"Francis M'Nabb
registration district:   Omagh
event type:   DEATHS
registration quarter and year:   Apr - Jun 1890
estimated birth year:   1816
age (at death):   74
volume number:   2
page number:   201
digital folder number:   4200678"

So I am presuming these volume and page numbers etc. are the ones I have to use in ordering from GRO or GRONI? 
Again thanks for your help - will have a good read of the links you have sent.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Francis M'Nabb
registration district:   Omagh
event type:   DEATHS
registration quarter and year:   Apr - Jun 1890
estimated birth year:   1816
age (at death):   74
volume number:   2
page number:   201
digital folder number:   4200678"

for ordering a civil cert from GRO, all you need are the details I've highlighted in your post.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Again Shane - many thanks

Here's "fingers crossed" that finally I will get somewhere with my elusive ancestors!  It's a never ending learning process!

Cheers

Maggs

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Before you order any certificates have a look at www.proni.gov.uk

"The Will of Francis M'Nabb late of Segully County Tyrone Farmer who died 3 May 1886 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Michael Grogan of Greenan Farmer and Andrew Moffitt (Junior) of Legfreshy Writing Clerk both in the County of Tyrone the Executors." Will mentions daughter Annie McNabb, daughter Mary Kearney, son John McNabb.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 11:55 GMT (UK) »
HI Aghadowey,

Thanks for your input.  I will have to resurrect my old "dead ender" pieces of info on Francis McNab, because I think I remember finding this will and discounting it - the name of children not being right etc.  But it didn't click that this particular FRancis was from Segully - quite a specific area of Tyrone.  I doubted even that he would be a cousin or relative of my Francis, - who was so poor on migrating to Glasgow that he applied for Poor Law Relief in 1864.  He had travelled to Glasgow early 1864 and within 5 or 6 years, four of his six adult children had died.  His ?brother/cousin Michael McNab died in the Poor House in 1893 (have his death entry), - but we have totally failed to find any records for Francis McNab and his wife Mary (Ms McCue), after 1873. 

Will give more deep thought and consideration - have been knocking on this "brick wall" for years, so who knows - miracles may happen!!

Cheers
Maggs

Offline Rimond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggs. I am interested in your McNab connection. I am researching my own McNabb connections, in particular my great grandfather Francis McNabb who married Catherine Farnan in Country Tyrone around 1865. I believe Francis' father was named Michael.

Francis and Catherine had four children when they emigrated to New Zealand from Co Tyrone in 1873, arriving in Lyttelton in January 1874 they settled in Canterbury. They had a further five children in New Zealand, the youngest John James being my grandfather.

It has been difficult to trace the Irish records for these ancestors. I have found records of births of three of their children with the surname spelled differently on each occasion, ie Mc Anabb, McNabb and McNab. Their first child was probably born in Glasgow in 1866 (Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland) their second in Drumquin, Tyr, Ireland in 1868 and I am advised by the owner of a McNabb family tree that this child was born in Magharenny, Longfield East, Co. Tyrone (unknown to Google Maps) which brings my family and yours into very close proximity. I live in Australia. I would like to share information. Can you PP me?

Rimond

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I am advised by the owner of a McNabb family tree that this child was born in Magharenny, Longfield East, Co. Tyrone (unknown to Google Maps) which brings my family and yours into very close proximity.
Magharenny is the name of a townland in the civil parish of Longfield East, Co. Tyrone and in the Poor Law Union/registration district of Omagh. This registration district (Omagh) would have covered a wide area).

www.familysearch.org has extracted birth records for several of the children-
~ Catherine McNabb born 4 Aug.1870 Drumquin [registration sub-district] Co.Tyrone (page 280 in civil register). The actual birth certificate will list as exact place of birth. You mentioned the birth of "their second [child] in Drumquin, Tyr, Ireland in 1868"- the extracted record on FamilySearch are not complete but as in Catherine's birth Drumquin is likely to be the registration sub-district.

~ Jane Mcnab born 31 Jan.1866 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarsk[shire], Scotland. Scottish birth certificates contain far more details than Irish ones and Jane's should list date and place of parents' marriage (may just say Omagh but there's a chance it will be more exact). See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see about getting credits to view the certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!