Author Topic: Crumps in Lucton Herefordshire  (Read 5187 times)

Offline dadsancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crumps in Lucton Herefordshire
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone living in or around Lucton be good enough to let me know if there are any headstones in St Peters Church graveyard with a headstone with the name Crump engraved on it. Male or Female. My father was George Crump born 1915.
My Grand father and Great Grandfathers and so on were all born in either Lucton or Leominster going back as far as 1789, and I am trying to complete my family tree. Thankyou so much .

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Crumps in Lucton Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
my great grandmother was  Emma Elizabeth  Crump married James Heapey.  Her father was John Crump married Elizabeth Proudman
There are literally dozens of Crump families spread  throughout Hereford most lines are related if you go back far enough. Most of mine resided in Leominster. Lucton  Brampton Bryant, Yarpole
someone kindly took photographs of graves in one Cemetery
unfortunately they weren`t mine. If you can give me your
parents.grandparents name I`ll look through my records for
you.

Offline dadsancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, thanks so much for your reply. My Grandfathers were all named Richard Crump. My great Grandfathers wife was Jane Addis, my Gt Gt Grandfathers married Ann Miles, thats if my research is correct. My Father broke the mold by being named George (or rather his father did) and he was born in the USA whilst my grandfather Richard and his wife Edith were living over there.
Doesnt appear that we are related but in such a small village we may be somewhere along the way. I have been working on my tree for a feww months and cannot get to the bottom as to why all Grandfathers travelled regularly to the USA ? curiousity gets in the way of sometimes of trying to get the tree completed.
I live in Australia and as far as I can tell I cannot access much prior to 1830s.
Regards Lee

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
your research for RichardCrump and Ann Miles is correct from Censuses and Records I could find
He married Ann Miles in Leominster Ap/Mayjune quarter of 1839. i have Richard Crump on all Censuses including 1881
then a death Apr/May/June 1885  Leominster aged 76
yrs vol 6  page 338
On the 1881 Census Anne is still alive aged 67 yrs living with them is William  son 32yrs Agr Labourer and  RICHARD ,grandson aged 13yrs trying to find who he belonged to!!!
Re USA looked at Family Search site lots of Crumps  in America do you know what area they travelled to?
if we can find a State maybe we can trace why they went there could be ancestors were miners or worked on the railroad. Hope this helps!!

Offline dadsancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
your research for RichardCrump and Ann Miles is correct from Censuses and Records I could find
He married Ann Miles in Leominster Ap/Mayjune quarter of 1839. i have Richard Crump on all Censuses including 1881
then a death Apr/May/June 1885  Leominster aged 76
yrs vol 6  page 338
On the 1881 Census Anne is still alive aged 67 yrs living with them is William  son 32yrs Agr Labourer and  RICHARD ,grandson aged 13yrs trying to find who he belonged to!!!
Re USA looked at Family Search site lots of Crumps  in America do you know what area they travelled to?
if we can find a State maybe we can trace why they went there could be ancestors were miners or worked on the railroad. Hope this helps!!
Hello again, I can't believe I have only just found this reply, two years on. I thought I may have had a notification of reply, I didn't realise I had to check in.
Thank you so much for your help, after all this time I hope you are well.
My grandfathers all travelled by ship to Massachusetts. They stayed for few weeks except in my fathers case when His parents Edith Davies and Richard Crump stayed for just over a year. I believe they then separated on the return to the UK. The ships docked in Boston but I have a few photographs of them with Brookline marked on them. My father often mentioned they lived a fifteen minute walk from a big golf course and indeed there is one in Brookline.
After all this time still no leads as to what these trips were for.
I am planning a trip to Herefordshire next year ( belong to a house sitting site) 2015, hopefully between June and September.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
this is pure speculation but, in the time you are referring to, prize Hereford bulls were exported to America regularly, they would, and would need to be, accompanied by their handler who would stay a while to settle them in.

mike

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:36 GMT (UK) »
dadsancestry said:
My grandfathers all travelled by ship to Massachusetts. They stayed for few weeks except in my fathers case when His parents Edith Davies and Richard Crump stayed for just over a year.

I say:
I'm not sure that I have got the correct family here, but looking at the 1920 US census, they stayed for more than a year.  Richard gives his migration date as 1912, with Edith coming out the following year.  Richard gives his occupation as gardener, for private family.  Address of census is HUnter Street, Newton CIty, Massachusetts.  Does this tie in with what you know?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Also, I am not sure that Richard and Edith did separate (of if they did, perhaps it was temporary?) because on Richard's probate record, Edith is named as being granted administration.

On the passenger manifest for Richard's voyage in 1912, he gives his profession as gardener.  His last residence is given as Swansea, so maybe it is worth looking into who he was working for to see if he was shipped out to a family connection.