Author Topic: Sligo, Rochford, Roughneen, Rochfort  (Read 4661 times)

Offline thequinns5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sligo, Rochford, Roughneen, Rochfort
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
My relatives lived in Castleconor Parish in the Stoukane area. In the late 1840's they were evicted and went to Enniscrone and Bunnanila. Their name was listed many different ways. Does anyone have information on the subject? I know they immigrated in 1867 to Pennsylvania in the United States. I don't know on what ship or exactly when. Their name changed to Ratchford when they immigrated. I have many church records for their births and deaths

Tom

Offline nett78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sligo, Rochford, Roughneen, Rochfort
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
I am also doing research on the Rochfords from Sligo as my husbands great great Grandfather came from there! He was Edward Rochford and his father was Michael. Edward married Bridget McGloin and moved to Glasgow. I wonder if there is any connection with our families as i have not found a lot of information about them in Ireland?

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, we have martin and michael rochfords, but apparently there was a christopher who i think was my great grandfather's brother, who lived in Sligo. There were definitely rochfords living in Sligo. Apparently someone else has said Ratchford could be a mis spelling of rochford as people couldn't read or write.
there are other childen to do you have names and dates to maybe there are connected ?
SCOBEL,SCOBELL,SCOBALL MILLER,AUSTIN, WARD,

JARVIS, HEADIN, WILSON, COCKBURN, THURLEY

MOODIE, MOODY, WARDLAW, DRYELLY, WILSON, BROUN, DRYELIE, HUNTER, DONALD, CORKRAN, STEPHENSON, WILKLE, WALKER, MASON,  MARTIN, SCOT

LUSTY, PIKE, PAYNE, THORNTON, KILBOURN, TOWN, BROWNHEAD, FULLER, INCH, DALBY, KENNARD, KITCHENER, RAE, LAWS, PENNY, WADDELL, SIMPSON, PERCRIAUX, ARMITAGE, BRICKLAND

BENNETT, MASON, ROBERTS, STEPHSON, MITCHELL,OWEN, HARROP, NORTON, HODGSON, HARRINGTON, ALLEN, FAIRBURN,HIRST, ROMA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, we have martin and michael rochfords, but apparently there was a christopher who i think was my great grandfather's brother, who lived in Sligo. There were definitely rochfords living in Sligo. Apparently someone else has said Ratchford could be a mis spelling of rochford as people couldn't read or write.
there are other childen to do you have names and dates to maybe there are connected ?

You seem to be a bit confused and perhaps think that all people with the same surname might be related.
Information posted for you on LIMERICK board indicates that your Rochfords were from Co. Clare.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670572.msg5160114#msg5160114
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 13 12:57 GMT (UK) »
 :D ;D wow your related to my partner as we have a christopher to wow

MOODIE, MOODY, WARDLAW, DRYELLY, WILSON, BROUN, DRYELIE, HUNTER, DONALD, CORKRAN, STEPHENSON, WILKLE, WALKER, MASON,  MARTIN, SCOT

LUSTY, PIKE, PAYNE, THORNTON, KILBOURN, TOWN, BROWNHEAD, FULLER, INCH, DALBY, KENNARD, KITCHENER, RAE, LAWS, PENNY, WADDELL, SIMPSON, PERCRIAUX, ARMITAGE, BRICKLAND

BENNETT, MASON, ROBERTS, STEPHSON, MITCHELL,OWEN, HARROP, NORTON, HODGSON, HARRINGTON, ALLEN, FAIRBURN,HIRST, ROMA

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 December 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
yes there spelt it rachford because martin couldn't write so someone filled in cense for him well post names in a mo as partner is just popping out to get the shopping so editing xx

Offline nett78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 December 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again. My Edward Rochford married Bridget Mcgloin in Colooney Sligo on the 11/10/1871. I have the marriage certificate for the marriage which has fathers names and occupation. I have also spoke to some of the mcgloin family who now live in America. I have also purchased baptism certificates for 2 of Edwards siblings in Sligo but cant find Edwards.