Author Topic: BLAXELL Family  (Read 3350 times)

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLAXELL Family
« on: Wednesday 14 March 12 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my great grandmother's family - the Blaxell's.  She was Margaret Blaxell born in Newcastle, Australia in 1884.  Her father was Allan Blaxell (born 1838, Portsea Island, Hampshire, England) who was the son of John May Blaxell born 1801, Devonport, Devon & Frances Chappell (born c. 1805, England).  Allan  & his brother Henry Rous Blaxell both emigrated to Australia as young men. Their father John May Blaxell was a shipwright & a carpenter with the RN. Hid forefathers were the Blaxells from the Stoke Damerel area.  I have managed to find ancestors back to William Blaxell born c. 1680.   Margaret married George Wilson born c. 1879 (Son of James & Sarah Wilson) from the Yorkshire area.

I would appreciate any help about finding more on the Blaxell family.

Thanks Vicki
Blaxell (from Devon, Eng), Gledhill (from Eng), Grace (from Wiltshire Eng), Hoy (from County Antrim, Nthn Ireland),  Simon (from Nassau, Germany), Wilson (from Cambidge, Eng), Brown (from Oakham, Eng & later Scone, NSW), Newling (from Cambridgeshire, Eng & then Scone, NSW), Ball & Eatons from Worcestershire, Eng), Burris (from Wiltshire, ENg)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blaxell Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
What sort of 'help about finding more on the Blaxell family' do you need? If you can tell us exactly what you've already found it will save others searching for information you already know. Also, if you let us know exactly what you are looking for it will be easier, and quicker, for us to help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 06:58 GMT (UK) »
As I said I have managed to get back as far as William Blaxell who was born abt 1680.  I would like any further information on him for starters.  I don't know where he was born & when he actually died.  It is assumed he died after 1715 as the last child that is listed for him was born that year (Bridget Blaxell).  I only have his wife's name to be Elizabeth & no further info for her. 

His son Robert was born 1705 at Stoke Damerel, Devon & married Sarah Condy on 6 November 1728 at Stoke Damerel.  The only info I have for her is that she died abt 1730 the year after her only son William was born.  Robert then remarried Lydia Whitton 14 Oct 1732 at SToke Damerel.  She was apparently born same year & same place as Robert.  I have no more info on her & Robert apart from 2 more children (Robert born 1734 & Elizabeth born 1736).  I saw something that assumed she died in 1734 but this was before Elizabeth's death. 

I would also like info on Allen Blaxell who was born in 1838 at Portsea Island to John May & Frances Blaxell. I know he was married to Elizabeth Jones in 1863 in the Macleay River District, NSW, Australia.  I am missing when & what ship he came to Australia on.

Some answers or help with these questions would be good for starters. 

Thanks Vicki
Blaxell (from Devon, Eng), Gledhill (from Eng), Grace (from Wiltshire Eng), Hoy (from County Antrim, Nthn Ireland),  Simon (from Nassau, Germany), Wilson (from Cambidge, Eng), Brown (from Oakham, Eng & later Scone, NSW), Newling (from Cambridgeshire, Eng & then Scone, NSW), Ball & Eatons from Worcestershire, Eng), Burris (from Wiltshire, ENg)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:50 GMT (UK) »
hi,,a snippet,,,,there is a record in the national archives re your family,,you would have to visit to see the full record (9documents} unlikely if you live in Oz,,,  or you may be lucky and find someone who is visiting Kew one day who would look it up for you.

Thomas William Blaxell. When admitted to Greenwich Hospital School: Not Stated.

Parents' names: John May and Frances Baxell.

Applicant born 8 January 1846. Includes applications for brothers Allan Blaxell born 31 October 1838, and Henry Rous Blaxell born 9 September 1836.

so it seems an application was made by Thomas to enter Greenwich hospital school,,,and also by his brothers Allan and Henry.  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I have some BLAXELL transcriptions from Stoke Damerel Church if they are of interest:
24 Mar 1805 James Clements BLAXELL s/John & Sarah Ann (born 8 Dec 1804)
17 Apr 1808 Sarah Ann May BLAXELL d/John & Sarah Ann (buried 28 Dec 1809)
15 Apr 1810 Sarah Elizabeth BLAXELL d/John & Sarah Ann

John BLAXELL married Sarah Ann HARRIS 30 Mar 1799. However, I haven't been able to locate a baptism for John May BLAXELL. A John May BLAYD was baptised at Stoke Damerel according to the IGI 3 Aug 1800, s/John & Sarah Ann. (Possibly a bad transcription).

Robert BLAXELL was buried 19 Jun 1810 aged 79 - so born ca 1730/1. (Stoke Damerel)

Have you seen your family in the 1851 census at St Peter's port, Guernsey? HO107 piece 2530 folio 385 page 19
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BLAXELL Family
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 12 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou gortonboy & DOB7.  Both lots of info were very helpful.  I now have a dob for Allan & those 2 brothers.  I have actually seen the info from the 1851 Census.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the Greenwich Hospital School?  I know the family lived at St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands in 1851 & then later moved to Rotherhithe in Surrey.  So where was the school?  I am not well up on where places are in England as yet, but I am getting better.

I am also wondering when John May Blaxell(jnr) - born 1830, died.  I have his wife's approx yr of birth & her date of death in 1872 at Medway, Kent.  Her name was Ellen Jane Rye.

I also have no dates of death for his sisters Sarah Frances Blaxell (bn 1832, Woolwich, London) & Harriet Blaxell (bn 1840, Portsea Island, Hampshire).

If anyone can help with this it would be great.

Vicki

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I appears to be Frances who died in 1872 aged 65 according to FreeBMD

and Ellen Jane was still alive in 1876 as this report shows I assume this means this was John Blaxell Jnr's death

31st January 1876 Administration (with the Will) of the effects of John May Blaxell late of Woolwich in the County of Kent, Master Mariner who died on or since 19 January 1874 at sea was granted at the principal registry to Ellen Jane Blaxell of 187 Parrock St Gravesend in the said county, Widow the Relict the Universal Legatee.
Effects under £200

I don't know if you have these details:
John May Blaxell bap 28/3/1831   Woolwich St Mary
Sarah Frances bap. 15/5/1833   Woolwich St Mary
Henry Rous Blaxell bap. 10/10/1836 Deptford St Paul

Ellen Jane Rye b. 25/3/1845 bap. 1/5/1850 parents William & Sarah occ. musician? Lambeth

Still trying to find Ellen on any censuses, I can't find a remarriage but that is possible.

Jacqui

Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 March 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you to all who have contributed answers for me or info on where to find answers.  It is very useful & I am sifting through all this.
 It is very much appreciated,

Vicki