Author Topic: Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920  (Read 1139 times)

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Studying South Staffordshire local railway history
    • View Profile
Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920
« on: Wednesday 14 March 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
Trying to get to the bottom of Gladys Maud Rimes and her immediate family who I have a hunch moved down to the Brighton area sometime after 1921.

Walter Rimes b 1874 in Warmington Northants moved to Conwy in the early 1890s as a telegraph clerk. He met and married Jane Ellen Roberts and they had two children in the very late 1890s. Gladys Maud Rimes and brother Robert Edgar Rimes moved "back" to Warmington when Jane died in 1919. Gladys married Rowland Pullen/Pullan in 1920 in Oundle - his parents having moved from Yorkshire after they married in Leeds.

Gladys Maud and Rowland had a daughter Glenys in Oundle Northants in 1921, but the trail in Northamptonshire then goes cold.

There seem to be Pullens/Pullans in Brighton because there are two marriages in the area for Glenys Pullans. 1941 in Hove and 1953 in Brighton. 

Can any kind soul please help

Many thanks
Bartlett -  Hampshire via London to Northants
Rimes - Northants, Llandudno and Birmingham
Garrett - Northants
Thorneloe - Leics and Northants
Jackson, Powell - Staffordshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Just been to my local LHC and spent an hour searching.

I have discovered that Glenys Pullan married Edward Salloum in Hove in 1941, then married Samuel O'Neill in Brighton in 1953. The online record shows Glenys' name as "Salloum or Pullan". Might this mean that Edward Salloum possibly perished in the war making Glenys a widow ? If so, perhaps the registrar was unsure whether she reverted to her maiden name, or retained the surname of her (former) husband.
Garrett - Northants

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi wyrleybart
Do you know Glenys' date of birth?  The death of a Glenys O'Neill was registered in the Lewes district in Sep 1999.  Her date of birth was 4 March 1921.
Dazey

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Dazey.
I know it was 1Q 1921 but don't have the exact date. That is looking very positive.

Thanks once again.
Phil
Garrett - Northants

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of Pullans/Pullens in the 1949 Brighton & Hove Street directory, but not a single Salloum. 
Neither does the Commonwealth War Grave Commission have a record of a Salloum fatality in WW2. 
There were however 2 other local Salloum marriages, Albert in 1943 and Violet in 1951 but no children were registered under the Salloum surname and the name Salloum fails to appear in any other UK locality on FreeBMD (1900-1960). 

So could the Salloums be a displaced European family that either Anglacised their rather foreign surname, or returned to their homeland once the hostilities were over?   Roy G

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I wondered if the name Salloum might have Jewish connections which could explain why this appears in the years surrounding WW2 and nothing before, or after. Plus, Brighton and more especially, Hove, has had a native Jewish community for many years. It still does to this day.

There is a birth registration of a Peter J PULLAN with mother's maiden name of RIMES in Battle registration district in the March quarter of 1928.

I am able to do a look up for the marriage etc as I am local to the area.

Jo.

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I wondered if the name Salloum might have Jewish connections which could explain why this appears in the years surrounding WW2 and nothing before, or after. Plus, Brighton and more especially, Hove, has had a native Jewish community for many years. It still does to this day.

There is a birth registration of a Peter J PULLAN with mother's maiden name of RIMES in Battle registration district in the March quarter of 1928.

I am able to do a look up for the marriage etc as I am local to the area.

Jo.

Hi Jo and all
Just returning to this after a breather - gosh it's never been five years !!!!

It seems more than coincidental that Glenys Pullan married Edward Salloum in Hove 1941 and less than two years later Violet Bennett married Albert Salloum in the same town. Then Glenys married Samuel O'Neill in 1953 in Brighton whilst Violet Salloum married Wait in Hove in June 1951.

Joining some dots together would suggest that Albert and Edward were related but little genea information about them. 
Garrett - Northants