Author Topic: Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920  (Read 1960 times)

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Studying South Staffordshire local railway history
    • View Profile
Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920
« on: Wednesday 14 March 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
Trying to get to the bottom of Gladys Maud Rimes and her immediate family who I have a hunch moved down to the Brighton area sometime after 1921.

Walter Rimes b 1874 in Warmington Northants moved to Conwy in the early 1890s as a telegraph clerk. He met and married Jane Ellen Roberts and they had two children in the very late 1890s. Gladys Maud Rimes and brother Robert Edgar Rimes moved "back" to Warmington when Jane died in 1919. Gladys married Rowland Pullen/Pullan in 1920 in Oundle - his parents having moved from Yorkshire after they married in Leeds.

Gladys Maud and Rowland had a daughter Glenys in Oundle Northants in 1921, but the trail in Northamptonshire then goes cold.

There seem to be Pullens/Pullans in Brighton because there are two marriages in the area for Glenys Pullans. 1941 in Hove and 1953 in Brighton. 

Can any kind soul please help

Many thanks
Bartlett -  Hampshire via London to Northants
Rimes - Northants, Llandudno and Birmingham
Garrett - Northants
Thorneloe - Leics and Northants
Jackson, Powell - Staffordshire

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pullans/Pullens in Brighton/Sussex after 1920
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Just been to my local LHC and spent an hour searching.

I have discovered that Glenys Pullan married Edward Salloum in Hove in 1941, then married Samuel O'Neill in Brighton in 1953. The online record shows Glenys' name as "Salloum or Pullan". Might this mean that Edward Salloum possibly perished in the war making Glenys a widow ? If so, perhaps the registrar was unsure whether she reverted to her maiden name, or retained the surname of her (former) husband.
Garrett - Northants

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi wyrleybart
Do you know Glenys' date of birth?  The death of a Glenys O'Neill was registered in the Lewes district in Sep 1999.  Her date of birth was 4 March 1921.
Dazey

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Dazey.
I know it was 1Q 1921 but don't have the exact date. That is looking very positive.

Thanks once again.
Phil
Garrett - Northants

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of Pullans/Pullens in the 1949 Brighton & Hove Street directory, but not a single Salloum. 
Neither does the Commonwealth War Grave Commission have a record of a Salloum fatality in WW2. 
There were however 2 other local Salloum marriages, Albert in 1943 and Violet in 1951 but no children were registered under the Salloum surname and the name Salloum fails to appear in any other UK locality on FreeBMD (1900-1960). 

So could the Salloums be a displaced European family that either Anglacised their rather foreign surname, or returned to their homeland once the hostilities were over?   Roy G

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I wondered if the name Salloum might have Jewish connections which could explain why this appears in the years surrounding WW2 and nothing before, or after. Plus, Brighton and more especially, Hove, has had a native Jewish community for many years. It still does to this day.

There is a birth registration of a Peter J PULLAN with mother's maiden name of RIMES in Battle registration district in the March quarter of 1928.

I am able to do a look up for the marriage etc as I am local to the area.

Jo.

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I wondered if the name Salloum might have Jewish connections which could explain why this appears in the years surrounding WW2 and nothing before, or after. Plus, Brighton and more especially, Hove, has had a native Jewish community for many years. It still does to this day.

There is a birth registration of a Peter J PULLAN with mother's maiden name of RIMES in Battle registration district in the March quarter of 1928.

I am able to do a look up for the marriage etc as I am local to the area.

Jo.

Hi Jo and all
Just returning to this after a breather - gosh it's never been five years !!!!

It seems more than coincidental that Glenys Pullan married Edward Salloum in Hove 1941 and less than two years later Violet Bennett married Albert Salloum in the same town. Then Glenys married Samuel O'Neill in 1953 in Brighton whilst Violet Salloum married Wait in Hove in June 1951.

Joining some dots together would suggest that Albert and Edward were related but little genea information about them. 
Garrett - Northants

Offline rickoneill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It was fascinating to hear from you Phil via the Ancestry website and subsequent finding this thread.
My grandfather was Samuel O’Neill who as you say married Glenys O’Neill in 1953. They had 3 children.
The wedding you mention between Glenys Pullen and Edward Salloum was a surprise to my Dad, who did know he had a half brother who he is in contact with but had no idea that there was a marriage between Glenys and Edward. 
The story within the family was always that Salloum was a Canadian soldier who then disappeared after Glenys became pregnant, and their son was raised by Rowland Pullen and Gladys Pullen (nee Rimes).
We’re also not clear whether Glenys Pullen was born in Oundle Northants or Conwys Wales!?
In addition, it’s worth noting that Glenys Pullen had TWO siblings not one. Her brother Walter James (killed in a Lancaster bomber 1945), and another brother Peter James Pullen.
Probably more to come but fascinating to get into it all.
Rick

Moderator comment: Heavily edited to remove the names of living or potentailly living people in accordance with our policies.

New members are encouraged to read our Guidelines for Posting

https://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow !!!!  Thanks for much for responding Ricky and confirming some of my suspicions at least.  I have Gladys as born in Conwy  on 31st August 1897 then moving to Warmington with her brother and their dad after 1919. Gladys met Rowland Pullen in Warmington and they married in Oundle in April 1920, and Glenys arrived 4th March 1921.  Walter James arrived 13th April 1922, and I presume they moved down to Sussex shortly afterwards, because the sibling Peter was born there as you say.

Apologies if the Salloum marriage came as a shock but I am interested to know whether Edward Salloum was linked to the other wedding in Hove involving Hilda who married another Salloum.  They surely must have been related with such a rare name for Sussex at least.

I would like to recount the rest of the Welsh story here which includes a huge slice of irony. My father was a very keen railway enthusiast and was often hanging around railways when he could, particularly of the LMS railway.  He told me once how he and his brother went to Deganwy very near Conwy to stay at Auntie Gertie's BNB. While he was there there was a terrible rail disaster when the up Irish Mail from Holyhead to Euston collided with a locomotive at Penmaenmawr - a location just across the estuary from where he was staying, and he said he heard the terrible noise from the collision. Several hours late he remembered the wrecked locomotives being hauled onto Llandudno Junction loco shed to clear the line.

Well it turns out that a chap name Charles Whitmill had started work as a teenager i nthe loco sheds at Willesden, then gradually moved up the ranks via Watford Jn and Crewe to become locomotive superintendent at Llandudno Jn where he retired. Charles wife died and he befriended a lady named Gertude - remember that name !!!

Walter Rimes, after seeing both of his children Robert and Gladys settled in Warmington moved to Birmingham and met a lady name Gertrude from Smethwick. they married and lived in Edgebaston for a while before moving to Conwy where Walter had lived previously.  Walter died in a nursing home there leaving Gertrude a widow.  After Charles' wife died he and Gertrude became friendly and married, but he wasn't long for this world and he eventually passed away in the same nursing home   
that Walter saw his days out in.

Twice widowed Gertrude kept the B&B at Deganwy and thus my father and his family stayed there those years later. What was disappointing for me given his love of railways was that he unknowingly stayed with Aunty Gertie who was married to the locomotive superintendent of the shed there. I am sure he would have been totally in awe had he known.

One of those fascinating twists of family history we all love.

Thanks again Ricky for helping with the story.  Much appreciated.   

Garrett - Northants