Author Topic: Ewen Cameron Bruce -distinguished soldier, convicted felon- died Cheltenham 1925  (Read 12132 times)

Offline andrew bruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ewen Cameron Bruce -distinguished soldier, convicted felon- died Cheltenham 1925
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
TO THE MODERATOR
                               Thank you for allowing my reply, it was a nice surprise! It does make me feel better. On a general note I believe I am right in stating that the soldiers shot for cowardice during the great war have now been pardoned as we have come to know more about post traumatic stress!
 when QUEEN VICTORIAS ,PRINCE ALBERT Was involved with the setting up of the VICTORIA CROSS HE Personally insisted that NO  person who was in receipt of it could ever have it taken from them no matter whatever in their future, occurred!  It was appreciated by the prince, that at the time of its award the person was Deemed "worthy"
                                                I believe this consideration should be afforded to ALL THOSE "DECORATED" CHAMPAIGHN MEDALS AS WELL!  Any crime deserves but ONE punishment!
 Regarding my Grandfather, he was one of the many" REMITTANCE MEN "Who came back from abroad to Defend his country in its time of need! OUR NEED"!
                                                                                      MAJOR EWEN CAMERON BRUCE Was a Brave man but definitely not a team player! Openly defying orders! IF  he felt it could be done he would usually Achieve it! But of course that made some jealous enemies! Especially regarding how much he was decorated! In such a short space of time!
                                                                              Once again moderator I thank you for allowing at least, another point of view! And at best !For a light of illuminating understand! To be SHED! On those who BLED!
                                          Yours sincerely,(This time)
                                          ANDREW BRUCE

Offline andrew bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ewen Cameron Bruce -distinguished soldier, convicted felon- died Cheltenham 1925
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 14:39 BST (UK) »

I felt to conclude this rather emotional issue I should give a loving closure on my brothers lives and perhaps to give some comfort to the people who knew them I cannot post in the way I normally would so my poet name is Andreqw bruce that's right spelt with a  Q! if you key  this and go to allpoetry.com you will see my poems for them, there. One is called" freefall" for Nish Bruoe ,the other is!  Vince Bruce, Wizard of whips and Ropes! At end of!  Au Revoir Ewen Bruce. I hope  Their friends and fans will gain some small comfort from them as I did writing them!
                                                             Goodbye,
                                              Andrew Gordon Cameron Bruoe

Offline garybrixton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 October 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

I’ve just joined this forum, I’m not sure if this thread can be revived, but here goes.

It seems that Ewen Cameron Bruce wasn’t the only member to bring scandal or disgrace on the Bruce family  -  I think his half-brother,  Allan George Cameron Bruce was the focus of a much larger scandal which involved Winston Churchill.

Allan Bruce was a ‘colleague and rival’ of Churchill at Sandhurst  (Lavery, p. 12)
On passing out of Sandhurst, Churchill was commissioned as a subaltern in the 4th Queen’s Own Hussars in February 1895.

‘When it became known in the spring of 1895 that Bruce intended to join the 4th Hussars, a group of subalterns in the regiment, including Churchill, tried to keep him out’ (Russel).
‘Churchill and his cronies had decided that.............Bruce was unsuited to join their ranks’, and with Churchill acting as spokesman Bruce was informed that he was not wanted. (Rose, p. 33)

Bruce refused to be browbeaten and joined the regiment, where he was boycotted by Churchill’s group.

Under the pretext of meeting a veteran of Balaclava, Bruce was lured to the NCO’s mess, where he raised a glass to the health of the mess. Three days later Bruce was arrested and charged with ‘improperly associating with non-commissioned officers’ and condemned as unfit to serve with the 4th Hussars. He left the regiment and the army.

The cause of the hostility towards and harassment of Bruce is unclear, but it’s alleged that Bruce had knowledge of a homosexual relationship between Churchill and another cadet at Sandhurst (Morgan pp. 81 – 83)

Bruce’s father (Allan Cameron Bruce-Pryce) advocated on his behalf, and the culture of snobbery and bullying in the 4th Hussars became a national issue, debated in Parliament and condemned in the press (Coughlin).

Bruce-Pryce went so far as to allege that his son knew that Churchill had participated at Sandhurst in ‘acts of gross immorality of the Oscar Wilde type’. Churchill sued, and accepted a settlement out of court.

The affair didn’t die easily, being repeatedly raised by the journal ‘Truth’, and ‘....caused a scandal that very nearly ruined Churchill’s career’ (Russell).
Churchill's career was saved, but Bruce's was over less than a year after graduating Sandhurst.

I’ve become interested in Bruce since I bought his sword at auction on Monday. I can’t help wondering where the sword’s been for the last 120 years – it must have been a bitter memento of a very short and sad military career.

References:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bruce-Pryce-1
Coughlin,Con. Churchill's First War: Young Winston and the Fight Against the Taliban
Gilbert, Martin. Churchill: A Life p. 61
Lavery, Brian. Churchill Warrior: How a Military Life Guided Winston's Finest Hours p.12
Morgan, Ted. Churchill: Young Man in a Hurry, 1874-1915 (1984)
Rose, Norman. Churchill - An Unruly Life
Russell, Douglas S. Winston Churchill Soldier: The Military Life of a Gentleman At War
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3093439/Was-Winston-secretly-GAY.html

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 October 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,

Welcome to RootsChat, yes by replying to topics on RootsChat yes they are indeed revived :)

All the other members have been notified of your reply and the originator was online earlier this afternoon so hopefully you should receive a reply very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk