Author Topic: Stewart family, mid 18th/early 19th centuries, Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld.  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family, mid 18th/early 19th centuries, Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  It is the same family.  Donald Stewart and Catherine Taylor were my husband's 3xgreat grandparents on his Direct male lne.  His paternal grandmother is from another line of Stewarts who,lived around Caputh, parish of Bendochy/Coupar Angus, but who seem to,have originated around Rattray.

There is not much distance between Dunkeld & Caputh so they are more than likely all related  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family, mid 18th/early 19th centuries, Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld.
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 September 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I meant 5x great-grandparents, not 3.  Apologies for the typo.  I'll have a look at potential grandparents for Thomas, following naming patterns and  see who it turns up.  This may take a couple of weeks as I 'm off to visit family down south and won't have time for research until I get back.

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 September 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you! As we live abroad, most of our research is restricted to online availability. I can definitely see that Donald/Daniel Stewart is related to the Stewarts at Strathbraan,Little Dunkeld, but there seems to be no original source material to relate the Thomas Stewart (married to Christian McFarlane) who worked at Luncarty.
1.Thomas Stewart is not on the 1841 census with his family at Farmhouses, Redgorton and familial relationships not noted on this census.
2.Christian Stewart nee McFarlane is a widow and Head of House, according to  1851 Census.
3. Thomas Stewart is noted as the father of nine children with Christian McFarlane - from 1814 (Christian) to 1833, (Thomas).
4. Death   records  of the couple's  extant children named Thomas Stewart, bleachfield watchman as their father.
5. Burial record of a Thomas Stewart at Huntingtower, 1837 MAY relate to this Thomas Stewart.
6. Donald Stewart from Meikle Trochry, Little Dunkeld is working at Luncarty as a bleachfield watchman at the same time that  Thomas Stewart (married to Christian McFarlane) is a bleachfield watchman in the same area. This may be something - or it may be nothing - but it is possible that Donald and Thomas were brothers. Donald was born in 1793 and did have an older brother named Thomas, born in 1789.
7. Thomas Stewart and Christian Stewart's firstborn son was named John Stewart. If this family followed the traditional naming pattern for their children, then Thomas Stewart's father would be named John. This family may have followed the traditional naming pattern as their first child, a girl, was named Christian. Christian McFarlane's mother was named Christian Stewart. Donald Stewart from Strathbraan's father was named John Stewart.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 September 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
I'll also check my husband's other Stewart line, which comes via his great grandfather David Stewart, the father of his paternal grandmother Catherine Stewart.  That branch of the family lived and worked in Huntingtower/Ruthvenfield, in the parish of Tibbermore before moving to Luncarty in the parish of Redgorton.  Many family members were born in Caputh, in the parish of Bendochy, Perthshire which was close to Coupar Angus in Perthshire.  Several lived and died in the Coupar Angus area. This Stewart line had several family members who worked in the linen industry, which was a major focus in Perthshire at that time.  Much of the research I have done, along with other kin in the USA as well as the UK, was on the paternal family line - CRANMER (various spellings) of David Stewart's wife Helen/Ellen Cranmer.

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 September 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for Thomas' marriage to Christian and found a possible marriage - on 1st April 1809 ( in the parish of Dull, Perthshire (in Strathbraan) of a Thomas Stewart to Christian Macdonald, not Christian Macfarlane.  Source: IGI FHL Film No. 1040063 and 1040064.  Not sure if this is helpful, or if it muddies the waters!  If this is 'our' Thomas, he would be aged 20 on marriage.  Conversely, there may be no record, no surviving record of marriage, or the marriage could have been by any one of several irregular (but perfectly legal) forms, or it may have been a non-church of Scotland marriage.  Try Roman Catholic and Non-Confirmist records as well as adjacent parishes.   Indeed, a marriage may not have taken place at all and the 'wife' was simply, in local parlance, a "bidey-in" ( live-in partner) - they had them in the early 19th century too!