Author Topic: Denehy, Thomas, Daniel  (Read 2938 times)

Offline timothydenehy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denehy, Thomas, Daniel
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any real information on Denehy but particularly I am looking for info on my Great Great Grandfather, I know his name was Thomas from his son Daniel's death cert born possibly about 1835. Daniel was born in 1858 and emigrated to Youngstown Ohio in 1887.

Any info at all would be awesome, if there are any other Denehy's out there in Ireland any info would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=necarter&id=I23145

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Denehy, Thomas, Daniel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 12 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Without having specified their religious denomination it is difficult to advise.  Also, is there information that your ancestor was from Cork, and did not just emigrate out of Cork.

General civil registration did not start until 1864, so church records are a source of birth information.  For RC church records there are south and southwest records freely available online at http://irishgenealogy.ie .  This site also has RC records in Co Kerry and also some Kerry C of I records. The Cork genealogical project covers RC records in the Cork city area but they aren't online; you would have to contact Cork library.  For north and northeast Cork, there are church records online free to search but pay to view at http://corknortheast.rootsireland.ie/

More Cork genealogy basics here:
www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/genealogy.html

If the birth year for Thomas Dennehy is accurate or close to being accurate, he would have been a rather young father in 1858 which makes me think some of his children could have been born after 1863 and would have fallen under civil registration.  The Mormon Family History Library does have a special index of Ireland births and baptisms that cross-references some births to the parents.  There are a number of entries for a parent Thomas Dennehy in Cork in the collection but the collection is not exhaustive.  See:  Ireland Births and Baptisms.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline timothydenehy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I think they were Roman Catholic my father was raised Catholic as his father was so I would guess Daniel Denehy was as well but not sure. I have no solid info on if they were actually from Cork just family stories a census and when I was in Cork I was told the name Denehy was from that area. So many inconsistencies in death certificate and census' that it is hard to tell for example Daniel's death certificate says he was a widower but yet his wife died in 1950 and he died in1912 very odd and hard to track.

I will check out the links you provided and thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it.

Tim

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I just read your information on the link to World Connect.  There is a lot of conflicting information.  I think your search needs to be focused more on Ohio and on how and when the family came into the US.  If it is clear Daniel and Ellen emigrated together, they should show up together on a ship manifest.  Have you found one?  The 1900 census shows that Daniel emigrated in 1887 and Ellen emigrated in 1887, but they could have come over on separate ships.

I tried searching http://www.castlegarden.org, but without success.  What was their port of entry?  Could they have come through Canada?  When you can establish a firm immigration path into the country, you have a better chance of finding family records elsewhere.

The 1900 census shows the children Maggie, Daniel, Garrett, and Ivea as born in Ohio, only Thomas was born in Wales.  However, your relative? Terry stated that Thomas, the oldest child, was born in Ireland, around 1886.  Census records are not error-free, and Terry could be right.

I do not know whether children immigrating to the US, in the late 19th century, had to file naturalization petitions as they got older.  (I am aware of cases earlier in the 19th century when they had to do so, and they also had to renounce allegiance to former countries.)  I would ask about a search of Ohio records for a naturalization record for Thomas or his father Daniel, having lived in Youngstown, Mahoning County.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/natural.html

The naturalization records might state what ship they immigrated on and when, however, that applies more for records after about 1900. That is why I am asking whether the child Thomas had such a record.

From the information it sounds like Daniel and Ellen were married in Wales maybe around 1883.  Have you found a marriage record there?

If Terry is correct about Thomas's birthplace, Thomas's birth should be in Ireland civil registration.  Here are some possible matches:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AThomas~%20%2Bsurname%3ADennehy~%20%2Bbirth_place%3ACork~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1883-1886~&collection_id=1408347

However, it is best to work backwards.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline timothydenehy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I know for sure is they were from Ireland, on one record it says Daniel was born in Northern Ireland on another it says Irish Free State so I am not really sure where to go now.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I know for sure is they were from Ireland, on one record it says Daniel was born in Northern Ireland on another it says Irish Free State so I am not really sure where to go now.

So it sounds like there are census records for Daniel after 1922 that cause confusion with Irish free state / northern Ireland.  If he was still alive in 1940 those census records will soon be available.

A neighbor could have supplied the census taker with info and have given some bad information.  Go by the weight of the evidence and don't let one errant census sway you.

Sounds like the Ohio sources (court records, newspaper obits, naturalization recs, etc) are a good place to start.

Offline timothydenehy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
They were census and death cert.

Offline timothydenehy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
One more thing, I looked at the Ohio link you posted but couldn't figure out where to search at.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 05:59 GMT (UK) »
One more thing, I looked at the Ohio link you posted but couldn't figure out where to search at.

After reading their pages you may have to contact somebody there and/or visit their library collections.