Author Topic: BRIERYSHAW, Ewes, Dumfriesshire  (Read 6604 times)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRIERYSHAW, Ewes, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Gosh thanks so much to everyone for all the helpful answers. MUCH appreciated. 

I have another 'general question :)  what is the difference between for example 'James Scott IN Brieryshaw' and 'James Scott OF Brieryshaw' Is it significant?  Is this a way of differentiating between an owner and a tenant?

As a matter of interest after posting my query I found a Valuation Roll for Ewes 1897/97 (much later than my ancestor's period of 1789-ish) but there is a Margaret Scott, widow, and Jane Aitken, widow, living at Brieryshaw and they are tenants of The Duke of Buccleugh, per M C Yourstoun, Irvine House, Canobie.  Does anyone know how to access the Buccleugh estate records?  My ancestor was reputedly related to the Buccleughs but I am more inclined to think his family were tenants of the Buccleughs.  I KNOW there is a connection somewhere in all this but I just can't quite link all the dots yet. so frustrating!  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I have another 'general question :)  what is the difference between for example 'James Scott IN Brieryshaw' and 'James Scott OF Brieryshaw' Is it significant?  Is this a way of differentiating between an owner and a tenant?

I always believed they were the same thing. Monica may know for certain.

I can't help with your other question I'm afraid, but have you checked A2A?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 March 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Like Ruskie, not sure about a definite meaning between in/of of a place unfortunately.

Also, without knowing where you are based and how realistic local searches are for you, hard to say what is best. For this period you are looking at in the late 1700s, in respect of ownership of land and tenancies, you might have to consider personal searches of estate records, sasines (/www.nas.gov.uk/guides/sasines.asp) etc.

Not sure what the local resources and archives in Dumfries-shire would hold as this would be a good first check before checking at the NAS, which has now become the National Records of Scotland (NRS).

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 12 15:48 GMT (UK) »
hi,
      dont know if this is any help if you go to scotlands places and click on dumfries then put in search box brieryshaw up comes a discription brieryshaw was a fort also if when in the dumfries section click on historical taxes/horse tax vol 8 you will find scott listed as paying horse tax at brieryshaw ewes in 1797/8 also there is another scot listed paying horse tax at diferent place in ewes could be relation to the brieryshaw one

harrywrag

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 March 12 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Searching the NAS online catalogue for Brieryshaw also brings up this for example:

Writs and legal papers of lands of Brieryshaw in parish of Ewes, sheriffdom of Dumfries.
With inventory, 1792

www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Also, http://195.153.34.9/catalogue/details.aspx?st=1&reference=GB234/GD224

Likely more around...

Monica

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the links and I must admit the NAS links are very tempting but unfortunately I live in South Africa. 

One think I am excited about and thought you might find interesting is a photo I found at the following link

http://www.langholmpicturearchive.com/register.php

It is in the category "Houses", amongst George Irving's collection and the number is 2922. It is dated 1988, called Brieryshaw, Ewes. I wanted to post it here but am not sure about copyright infringements.  Considering the farm seems to have been demolished in the 1990's this is a great find :)

Jenny

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
That is a great find, Jenny  :)

Monica

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I could not see it on your link, but I found it via other means. Lovely photo. Makes your heart bleed to think it was demolished. I wonder why? People leaving the area perhaps, but it still seems drastic to destroy it. It looks like a lovely part of the world - I'd like to live there.  :)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Me too Ruskie :)  It's a strange thing but I was born in the then Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) and have only had 2 visits to the UK but I have such a STRONG emotional reaction to anything Scottish.   I'll never forget how my 17 year old South African born daughter literally fell in love with The Scottish accent and everything to do with Scotland and we both still get that emotional weepy reaction to bagpipe music so no matter how diluted  the Scottish genes are, they are definitely dominant ones :) (My dad's father was born in Aberdeen and his mother's grandfather was this "Scott' guy I am battling to trace :) )

Jen