Author Topic: St Helier parish records: George LAKE, ca. 1807  (Read 4560 times)

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helier parish records: George LAKE, ca. 1807
« on: Saturday 17 March 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to identify a George LAKE, who, according to the 1851 census, was born abt 1807 at St Helier. The 1861 census gives birth data as c1808 in Jersey. Have not found him in any other census. Would anyone be able and kind enough to check the St Helier baptism register from, say, 1805 to 1809?

Thank you

Xanthe

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier parish records: George LAKE, ca. 1807
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
I presume the George Lake you are talking about was the one married to Nancy in the 1851 and 1861 census.  In the 1841 census, George must have been away at sea (he was a seaman). 

1841 census Nancy Lake 30 years  lived at St. Quen/Ouen, Jersey
                     George 5 years son
                     John 2 years son
                     Ann 5 months daughter

There was also in the 1841 census a Richard Lake b: 1781 and Jane b: 1786 at St. Peter Port (could they be Georges parents)

Also on the 1851 census there was a George Lake (servant) 36 years - however when you look at the actual page it says LEAK

If you look at Roots web where we are, they are saying that there are a lot more births added to LDS for the Channel Isles.  I will have a look at the 1871 census.

sabrina

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
1871 census Nancy LAKE 63 years WIDOW charwoman b: St. Ouens  address St. Ouens
                     Elizabeth LAKE 23 years dressmaker - daughter

It would appear that George Lake died between 1871 and 1871

sabrina

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sabrina,
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I do actually have all the census data. Sadly, Richard and Jane Lake are not George's parents: they did not marry until 1811, in Hampshire, and they had their children in Hampshire and later in Dorset. I think that I have to get hold of George's baptism data - probably by paying for some research. But I do appreciate your input.
Thanks again
Xanthe

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the research site called Jerripedia. This is the best site I have found for feasibly records in Jersey and I do know that StbHelier births are there.Its a site which is growing every day and even if you don't find your record there it's an amazing site to look at.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ringrose,
No I didn't know about Jerripedia, and you're right - it's a treasure chest. Although George Lake isn't there - yet - I've already found a couple of later Lakes that I knew nothing about. And it's wonderful for background information about Jersey. Thank you for alerting me to a great source.
Xanthe

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 04:15 BST (UK) »
There are two  Merchant Navy entries on 'Find My Past' for George Lake, but I don't know how to attach them for you on this site, unless I contact you personally.  One is his Registration number, and the other describes him and gives a birth date but no parents.  It says that he was born St. Helier, and lived in Ouen when at home.

sabrina

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 05:04 BST (UK) »
A record which might come in handy one day.

Nicholas LAKE married Gathrood MOSES  02.04.1808 St. peter Port, Guernsey.  From the old LDS records

sabrina

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sabrina

I've had a look at all the baptisms in St Helier from about 1790 to 1820 and there are no George Lake baptisms.

I have also checked the baptisms in other parishes and again found no George Lake.

What I can tell you is that there was a marriage of a George Lake and a Nancy Syvret on 7th Feb 1833 in St. Ouen. There are no mention of either parents.

I can confirm the baptism dates of:

George - &th Oct 1835
John - 16th Dec 1838
Ann - 29th Dec 1840

St Ouen is a hot-bed of Syvret's!! However there are very few Nancy's so I can see that Nancy Syvret was baptised 18th Apr 1813, daughter of Pierre (son of Jean) and Esther du Val.

Stewart