Author Topic: Joseph Willis West Butsfield 1797  (Read 10912 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Willis West Butsfield 1797
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Think of Lanchester as the "Mother Church".  Satley is one of those parts  Baptisms Satley St. Cuthbert:

20 Aug 1797 Joseph, 1st son of Thomas Willis, of West Busfield by his wifre Sarah Willis late Grey, born [blank]

Note a the botton:  Thomas Willis of Lanchester and Elizabeth Gray of Stanhope were married at Stanhope 12 May 1797

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry should have said birthplace is Lanchester, believe West Butsfield is there.

Down as Staindrop on some - not familiar with the area, is that Lanchester as well?

I'd suggest you take a look at a map of County Durham - Staindrop is some 23 miles south of Butsfield  :D

West Butsfield is a couple of miles west of Lanchester (it was in Lanchester Registration District, which is why is shows up as in Lanchester on Durham Records Online.)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=410500&Y=544500&A=Y&Z=126
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
So Sarah and Elizabeth are the same person?

It does sound like what I was looking for, thank you very much.  :)
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
JenB I think we crossed posts.

Very confused now...

Joseph's censuses give 1851 Lanchester, 1861 Romaldkirk, 1871 Lanchester, I suspect he was born in Romaldkirk and that Lanchester was more like a borough??? This is where maps aren't that helpful. Reeth where Joseph and Mary married is very near Healaugh.

Think West Butsfield is a red herring  :(

Here are the details of the two marriages.

Healaugh is not far from Romaldkirk

11 Nov 1820 Romaldkirk
Joseph Willis of this Parish bachelor and Ann Kipling of Baldersdale and of this Parish spinster. By Licence with consent of those whose consent is required.  Thos Bligh, curate.  Both signed. Witnesses: Samuel Blair and Thos Robinson, both signed. (both also witness at other marriages)

Burial Ann Willis on 10 May 1838 age 41 of Lowg… (could be Lowgarth? though it did look more like Lowgenthe), Romaldkirk.

Banns:
Joseph Willis of this Parish and Mary Bagshaw of the Parish Reeth Swaledale – 25 April, 2 May & 9 May 1841. (the vicar/curate wrote Bagshaw)

Marr 13 May 1841:
Joseph Willis of age Widower, Hind, of Romaldkirk. Father – Thomas Willis, farmer.
Mary Bagshow of age Spinster, of Healaugh in Grinton. Father – Joseph Bagshow, miner.
Both signed. (Mary signed Bagshow rather than the Bagshaw written in the Banns entry)  Witnesses – Leonard Holme, Thomas Raine, both signed. Vicar J Mannier.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 March 12 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I suspect he was born in Romaldkirk and that Lanchester was more like a borough???

Not quite sure what you mean by this?

Lanchester and Romaldkirk were two totally separate places, some distance apart.

Here's Lanchester (scroll down for the map) http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kxi/

Here's Romaldkirk (likewise - scroll down for map) http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kxj/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 12 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I suppose what I am saying is that there are two places on the censuses for Joseph's birth, Romaldkirk and Lanchester. I thought maybe Lanchester was a borough (or whatever they called it then) and that Romaldkirk was located in the borough.

I understand that the family come from round Barnard Castle (which is Romaldkirk) so thought Lanchester was maybe the borough name.

If that was the case, the birth at West Butsfield was probably not my Joseph.

The alternative is that Romaldkirk was put down in error because he was living there at the time or that Lanchester was in the borough of Romaldkirk.

Both of these options make the West Butsfield option more likely as it is near Lanchester.

Does that make any sense?

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
From IGI: Thomas Willis married Sarah Grey 31 May 1796 at Wolsingham.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Looked at the Stanhope marriage on a microfilmed transcript of the Parish Register with only these few details:-

Stanhope 12 May 1792 (not 1797)
Thomas Willis of Lanchester and Elizabeth Gray of this Parish. Wits:- Thomas Gray and Maddison Gray.

Stanhope to Romaldkirk is about 5 miles. 

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you tillypeg, I am more confused than ever now!

I can't find Joseph on the 1841 census, not sure it would help but would satisfy my curiosity. He married Mary Bagshaw in 1841 May, not sure if before or after census.