Author Topic: 71st Regiment of Foot  (Read 7154 times)

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 71st Regiment of Foot
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 21:58 BST (UK) »
You might like to look at this site : http://www.warpath.orbat.com/regts/hli.htm for an insight into the 71st and 74th Regiments. Both amalgamated in 1881 to become the Highland Light Infantry. The site contains a history and the address of the museum, which might have some records of interest.

Good hunting

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill - thank you for the link - I cannot find anything on it other than the 1914 - 18 war at the moment but I will continue searching!

regards
Jim

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Serjeant Thomas Dakers, born Buchan, profession on enlistment given as "shoemaker". Served throughout Peninsula campaign and fought at the following battles - Rolica, Vimiera, Coruna, Fuentes D'Onor, Vitoria, Pyrenees, Orthes, Toulouse.  It is quite possible (though I have no proof) that he fought in South America prior to all this in 1807.
In 1815 he accompanied the regiment to Belgium and fought in the battle of Waterloo. He fought in No 5 (Gordon's Company) and was wounded. The Regiment was not heavily engaged in the battle and was one of only 11 casualties in his Company (nominal strength of 81). In September 1815 he transferred to the 2nd Battalion.  He lived to collect his Peninsula medal (MGS) very belatedly awarded in 1848.

Hope this is of interest. I keep a database of Waterloo combatants so if you have any other info on him I can add I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Regards
Martin