Author Topic: Roseburgh/Farquhar/Butler  (Read 18816 times)

Offline RachelWLyon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roseburgh/Farquhar/Butler
« on: Sunday 18 March 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm doing some research on my family tree, focusing on the Roseburgh line as it's the least common name. I've gotten quite far back, about 1750, but i'm stuck on John Farquhar (born Circa 1750).

I'm looking for any information on the Farquhar line (it doesn't sound like a very Scottish name, but the two Farquhar's i have were indeed born in Scotland), if anyone could help with this i'd appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate any information on the Roseburgh's. My family consists of a lot of Robina's (an uncommon name) and a Robina Bell Dorrance Nairn Butler is also present in my family (named after the first Robina Roseburgh i have come across - there are about 4 Robina's in my family). My grandmother thought that Roseburgh was a European name (perhaps German, derived from Roseburg, Rosburg) and thought we may have emigrated, but i don't know... i'm at a loss. Any information would be greatly appreciated :D
Roseburgh, Watson, Butler, Traves (Trives, Travers), Crawford, Farquhar, Lyon, Burt

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roseburgh/Farquhar/Butler
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 12 07:31 GMT (UK) »
hello,

There are 20 Farquhar's in Fauldhouse/Whitburn, 8 in Bathgate, and 5 in Uphall, from the West Lothian Burial Records.  No Robina's amongst them, and no Roseburgh's in these areas of West Lothian.    If you have any with West Lothian links then maybe you could post the details.

regards ....  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline RachelWLyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 12 18:04 GMT (UK) »
According to the information i have, the Roseburgh's were mainly from the Linlithgow area. My gran (a Robina herself) was from Melrose and spent her life in Galashiels. I don't live in Scotland, i live in Wales, so access to records is difficult without paying for them and i'm not 100% sure which area the Farquhar's in my family were from, though a relative left the following message regarding Mary Farquhar (C1810 - daughter of John Farquhar) "Residing at Grange House, in parish of St Cuthberts at time of marriage. Daughter of John Farquhar manager of Flax mills at Brinsland" I'm not sure if that helps at all?

Thank you for the information :)

Rachel
Roseburgh, Watson, Butler, Traves (Trives, Travers), Crawford, Farquhar, Lyon, Burt

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Firstly what are the names of the 2 Farquhars in your family and where were they born. Who were their parents?

I presume the Robina Bell Dorrance Nairn Butler you refer to is the Robina Bell Dorrance Butler, born 5/7/1862 in Blythswood Lanark. Parents Robert Blair Butler and Mary Traves. Look like you willl have to invest in some credits from www.scotlandspeople.gov uk to purchase this birth certificate. It should show you the date and place of the parents marriage. Credits are not expensive £7 will purchase 30 credits and if carefully used will give you 5 documents ( birth, death, marriage, census)

An initial look on Scotlandspeople does not show a marriage for this couple, neither does Free BMD for an English marriage. I did not try variations on the spellings of the names.

Regards
Jean

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!

A likely candidate shows on the 1881 census for Scotland:-

82 High Street, Dumfries

Mary Butler, head, widow, Formerly sick nurse, aged 52 born Glasgow
James Robosn, son in law, married, Tallow Chandler, aged 22 born Dumfries
Mary Robson, daughter, married, aged 21, born Glasgow
Robina Butler, daughter, unmarried, aged 18 Tweed Weaver, born Glasgow
Fanny Butler, daughter, unmarried, nurse, aged 14, born Glasgow
Georgina Butler, daugher, unmarried, scholar, agd 12, born Glasgow

Regards
Jean

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
A bit more:-

A search of www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , without spending any money, reveals the death of a Mary Butler, other name TRAVERS who died in Dumfries in 1893. Birth year 1829 +/- 1year. (Birth year taken from the fact that she was 52 in 1881)

Looks like a good bet. If the informant knew her parents names then these will be shown on the death cert. It should also show that she was the widow of Robert Butler, again if the informant knew her husband's name.

Looks like you will have to invest in some credits to get these certs.

Regards
Jean

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Mary's surname keeps changing!

Found the marriage, eventually.

Robert Butler married Mary TRIVES 10/6/1853 in Glasgow.

Just too early for satutory records. So there probably won't be much information on the OPR.

Regards
Jean

Offline RachelWLyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, Mary Traves name is different on the record of all of her children, i'm not sure why. The same problem is also found with my Great-Grandfather who was Thomas Mcready Roseburgh, but it's also spelled Macreadie and Macready on different papers. Mary did indeed marry Robert Blair Butler.

The two Farquhars in my family are John Farquhar (born c1750) and Mary Farquhar (born c1810) i cannot find a record of her mother. The only information i have is that Mary Farquhar resided at Grange House in the St Cuthbert's parish in Edinburgh at the time of her marriage to James Crawford and that her father was a manager of a Flax Mill in Brinsland (though i'm not sure where this is)

I do have a copy of the marriage certificate of Robina and William (which i've attached) and a few other certificates from ScotlandsPeople (a brilliant website, just wish it was free)

Thank you all for the information, it's helped fill in a few gaps!!!

Offline RachelWLyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I found a death record for Mary Farquhar (Crawford at the time of her death) but i cannot read it very well, especially the name of her mother (which i still don't know) is anybody able to decipher it? I have attached it for someone who thinks they can :)