Author Topic: Elsie(Elspet) Seivewright Aiken  (Read 11703 times)

Offline aikenoakes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie(Elspet) Seivewright Aiken
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
This is indeed my GGrandmother Elspeth Aitken(Seivwright).

All the accompanying data;  parents, husband age works out.

Thanks to all that helped.

If anyone  has a photo of the monuments there, that would be excellent.

Maybe the monument has other relatives inscribed on it.

Her grandaughter Emma was present at her death. I don't know who she is.

Elspeths daughter Elizabeth b. 1868 is M.I.A. since 1881 Census in Kemnay.

She may have moved to Fife and thats why Elspeth died there instead of Kemnay.

Thanks
Wayne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne

I am going to move this over to the Aberdeenshire Board where most of the family history is based. Also linking the other post you have to keep all your responses together to help everyone www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,588715.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aikenoakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica for helping organize this; I'm new to this chat thing

Thanks again
Wayne

Offline bshewmach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie(Elspet) Seivewright & William Alexander Aiken
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 13 20:20 BST (UK) »
Don't know if y'all are still looking according to their marriage record:      In 1868 in the Parish of Kemnay, county of Aberdeen, page 3, record 6 on 1 August at Glenhead Manse after the bans according to the forms of the Free Church of Scotland, William AIKEN, a day-labourer, widower, age 50 from Dyce and Elspet SIVEWRIGHT, a domestic servant, servant, age 36 from Glenhead Kenmay were wed. Their parents were Andrew AIKEN, crofter, and Christina Aiken ms NAUGHTY (deceased) and George SEIVEWRIGHT, crofter (deceased) and Margaret Sivewright ms CUMMING. The record was signed by James B. Stuneck, Elizabeth Sivewright and William Still. The marriage was registered on 20 Jul 1868 at Kemnay and also, it appears, on 1 August at Kemnay.

His death record from the GRO indicates that  William AIKEN died in 1872 at 9 am. at 53 years of age from 'Phthisis'. He was the illegitimate son of Andrew AIKEN, a crofter, deceased and the spouse of Elspet Sievewright. The informant was his sister-in-law, Margaret Sievewright.

Her death record from the GRO indicates that in 1927, Elspeth Aitken, widow of William Aitken, labourer, died 1927 May fifth at 9h0m a.m. 72 Castlandhill Road, Rosyth, Dunfermline. She was 95 years old, daughter of George Sievwright, labourer and Margaret Sievwright ms Cumming both deceased. The cause of death was senile decay. The informant her grand-daughter Emma Aitken, present.

Some place names may have been misspelled by me.

Although before the parents formal marriage:  Alexander Aiken (aka Sievewright) states that on April Fourteenth 1859 at 7h0m P.m., at Glenhead, Kemnay, Alexander Aiken was born to William Aiken, Day Labourer (Illegitimate) and Elspet Sievewright. The informants were Elspet Sievewright, Mother, Present and William Aiken, father, of St John's Wells, Parish of Fyvie. The birth was registered on May 2nd 1859. (St John's Wells is in the parish of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire County and Banff and Buchan district.)  On 10 December 1881, Alexander Aiken, age 25, a farm servant, residing in Old Macher married Agnes Clark, a domestic servant, age 26 living at 18 Wellingston Street, Woodside, Aberdeen. The groom was the son of Alexander Aiken, cattleman and Jane Aiken ms Gardner. The bride was the daughter of Isaac Clark formerly Gardener and Agnes Clark ms Black. The ceremony took place at the bride's home 18 Wellington Street after the banns according to the established church. [Source: GRO 168/02/0380] On 29 Feb 1912, Alexander AIKEN, age 47, a widower, born in Aberdeen, Scotland, son of Wm Alex Aiken, a blacksmith and Elspeth Severight married Maria ASHTON, age 37, a widow, born in Manchester, England daughter of Joseph Keefe an engineer and Margret Smith in Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada--both were residents of Kingston, Ontario.Witnesses were Margaret S Harrow and Belle Thornton residents of Kingston. He died in Kingston, Ontario, Canada in 1948.

According to the Edinburgh Registry Microfische 203-9 Page 3, Jane Sievwright was the illegitimate daughter of Elspet SIEVWRIGHT, a domestic servant. Jane was born at 6h 0m pm at Glenhead, Kemnay. Her birth was registered 4 May 1861 at Kemnay. Margaret SIEVWRIGHT, her grandmother served as witness by placing "her X mark".  Jane used the name Jane Sievewright AIKEN, we believe she was the natural daughter of William AIKEN, as the record of birth for her brother born two years earlier states he was the illegitimate son of William Aiken, Day Labourer.      The Register of Marriages for the District of South Leith in the County of Edinburgh recorded in 1893 on the 20th of January at the Manse, South Leith, indicates that after publication according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland,  R.D. SHEWAN, gardener, bachelor, age 38, of 17 Baltic Street, Leith (son of Alexander SHEWAN, gardener and Barbara Shewan born BIRNIE, deceased) married Jane SIEVWRIGHT, spinster, age 29, of same residence (daughter of Elspeth SIEVWRIGHT, outdoor worker.) The ceremony was performed by the Minister of South Leith, James Mitchell. The bride's witnesses were Elspet Sievwright, James Main and Bety Bowie. The marriage was registered January 21, 1893.  Jane survived Robert by twenty-five years. At the time of her death she was living at Pilton Avenue in Edinburgh. Elizabeth SHEWAN, Jane's daughter served as the informant. The death was registered on April 13, 1942 in Haymarket, Edinburgh.

I have not yet found anything on Eliza Aiken, born 11 Nov 1868 in Kenmay beyond teh 1881 Census. At that time, Eliza AIKEN, age 12 is listed as living at Glenhead, Kemnay with her grandmother, Margaret SEIVEWRIGHT and [her grandmother's] sister, Jane CUMMIN. Margaret is listed as a widow and Jane as an imbecile. [Eliza's parents and older siblings, Jane and Alexander, are not part of the household].

Hopefully this helps some of the folks researching this line.

Bonnie Shewan Machabee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie(Elspet) Seivewright & William Alexander Aiken
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 April 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
(St John's Wells is in the parish of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire County and Banff and Buchan district.) 

No longer so. Banff and Buchan District was created in a reorganisation of local government in 1975, and it was abolished in 1995, the land which it comprised becoming part of an extended Aberdeenshire.

When searching family history, it saves confusion if you ignore the regions and districts created in 1975. Stick to the pre-1975 counties!

BTW, in Scotland we never refer to the county as 'Aberdeenshire County' or 'County Aberdeenshire'. The correct version is either 'Aberdeenshire' or 'The County of Aberdeen'.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bshewmach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 April 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Noted suggested revisions. Will try to remember in future when copy-pasting notes--may of which date back to the late 80s-- from my database to make the corrections and delete references to the locations of places (put there as a point of reference for my own research).

Appreciate your comments.

Offline aikenoakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 April 13 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bonnie
I was under the impresssion that William Still was the son of Jane Sievewright b.1823(sister of Elspet) and Robert Still,b.1813 and William McKay was the son Jane Seivewright Aikenb.1861 (daughter of Elspet) and  unknown McKay. I didn't know that these two William's were the same person.This throws me for a loop. William Still McKay Aiken is going to take a few days to assimilate.

The Alexander Aiken cattleman  that married Jane Clarke(Gardner) daughet of Clarke and Black in 1881?????? Who is that?

Sorry about the confusion cousin( I'm only a Male)Ha Ha

Thanks again
Wayne Aiken

Offline bshewmach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
There must have been two separate Williams as the record of death for the eldest of the two states:  William Still, labourer in quarry (single) died 1878 October Third at 8h 0m P.M. at Glenhead. He was 36 years old; son of Robert Still, Agricultural Labourer and Jane Sievewright, Domestic Servant (deceased). The cause of death was "perforating wound of perineum, internal haemorrhage, 2 hours". The informant ws James Brown, neighbour in the Parish of Kemnay. In 1871, the census states he was in the home of his grandmother Margaret.

The record of birth for the younger William states he was born three months after the death of Robert Still's son.
     William Still McKay Aiken (Illegitimate) born 1879 January second 6h 30m PlM. Old Town Kintore to Jane Aiken, Domestic Servant who also served as the informant.  In the 1881 Census he was recorded as Margaret's g-grandson.

Offline bshewmach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 April 13 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am hesitant to post my database notes here for fear I have misstated something but in hopes that I have not, here is what I have on Alexander, spouse of Agnes Clark. I will split the message in two due to the character limitation.
    On April Fourteenth 1859 at 7h0m P.m., at Glenhead, Kemnay, Alexander Aiken was born to William Aiken, Day Labourer (Illegitimate) and Elspet Sievewright. The informants were Elspet Sievewright, Mother, Present and William Aiken, father, of St John's Wells, Parish of Fyvie. The birth was registered on May 2nd 1859. (St John's Wells is in the parish of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire County and Banff and Buchan district.)
     In 1861 two year old Alexander from Kemnay was with his unwed mother Elspet SEIVEWRIGHT in the home of his grandmother Margaret SEIVEWRIGHT at Glenhead, Kemnay when the enumerator passed. In 1871, the 11-year-old Alexander born in Kemnay was enumerated at Old Road, Kintore with his siblings Jean and Elizabeth, mother Elspet Aiken and [father or step-father--Elspet wasn't wed until 1868 and Alexander's birth record does not state the father's name] William. 
     Ten years later (1881) Alexr AIKEN, unmarried, 23 born in Kintore, Aberdeen, Scotland enumerated as a farm servant at Little Clinterty, Newhills, Aberdeen--the 221 acre farm of George and Margaret REID. Also working for the REIDs as a servant/kitchenmaid was 24-year-old Agnes Clark of Drumoak, Aberdeenshire.  That year, on 10 December 1881, Alexander Aiken, age 25, a farm servant, residing in Old Macher married Agnes Clark, a domestic servant, age 26 living at 18 Wellingston Street, Woodside, Aberdeen. The groom was the son of Alexander Aiken, cattleman and Jane Aiken ms Gardner. The bride was the daughter of Isaac Clark formerly Gardener and Agnes Clark ms Black. The ceremony took place at the bride's home 18 Wellington Street after the banns according to the established Church. [Source: GRO 168/02/0380...note, I imagine, but am not certain, that the word "gardener" was his trade rather than a surname]