Author Topic: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal  (Read 26047 times)

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
DoireM,

Thank you so much, just what I needed. Presume its from the Derry Journal for Friday, June 21, 1889.

Al

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the correct source Al.
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 June 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
Mods, if you feel this post fits better on the Derry boards or the World War One board please move it.

Continuing my research into the decendents of Robert Craig and Eliza Maginnis of Carrownaffe, Moville, I found the wife and children of their third son, William Craig (1860 - 1889), in the 1901 and 1911 Census of Ireland.

His widow, Georgina (nee Daly) Craig, born Cork, married William Craig in Cork during the July  - Sept qtr 1886. The two surviving sons Robert John Craig b. July - Sept qtr 1887 in Londonderry and George Daly Craig born 8 November, 1889 (ie just over 4 months after his father's death) also in Londonderry; a third child was born (according to the 1911 census) but does not appear to have survived until 1901.

I have been able to find a deal of information about George Daly Craig.  He earned a BA 1912 and MA 1916 from Trinity Col. Dublin. He served in the 6th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) and the Royal Irish Fusiliers during WW1 rising to the rank of Captain. His service is honoured in the Roll of Honour of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, in the roll for Great James Street Presbyterian (see Eddies Extracts http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/index.html) After the war he emmigrated to the United States, married and eventually divorced. He passed away in 1951 in Los Angles.

The Roll of Honour for Great James Street Presbyterian also lists a Captain Robert John Craig M.C. and Mentioned in Despatches and lists his Regt as B N Indian Regt. my research suggests that this is an error either in the transcription to Eddies Extracts or more likely in the original.

The only Robert John Craig M.C. and MiD I can find in the Medal Index Cards or the London Gazette was a Captain in the British West Indies Regiment. This Robert John Craig was a police inspector in British Guiana when he joined up and was born in 1887 or 1888, but unfortunately none of the records I can find give his birthplace so I cannot definitivly say they are one and the same man. What I do know is that after the war he returned to British Guiana and resumed his service as police inspector and that sometime in 1925 or 1926 he left that service and joined the service in Sierra Leone.. In this service, he rose to be Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police and in 1939 was awarded the Colonial Police Medal for  Meritorous Service. Over the years, he made many return visits, mostly to addresses in PortStewart, so there is some connection to Londonderry.

What I am hoping for is that someone with access to the Derry newspapers, might find some mention of him there which confirms he is Robert John Craig son of William Craig and Georgina Daly. The dates of the significant events are

Joined British Guiana police sometime 1911 - 1915,
Commissioned to  British West Indies Regt  21 August  1915, published in London Gazette 14 December, 1915
arrived Plymouth from Demerara 6 September 1915
went with 1st Battalion to Egypt arriving January 1916
Mentioned in Despatches 3 April 1918, published in London Gazette 14 June 1918
awarded Military Cross, award published in the Supplement to the LG 8 March, 1919, the citation published in the Suppl to the LG  4 October, 1919
awarded Colonial Police Medal, award published in Suppl to the LG 8 June 1939

Offline annlbtx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 July 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say a thank you, for helping with the amazing progress on this family during the past week, especially for Anne Craig; I now have passenger manifests for all 3 of her trips from Ireland to Canada and the US, as well as those for her return visits to Ireland. Also her 1924 passport application which gives her birthdate as Dec 11, 1853 and the 1900,1910,1920, and 1930 US census, and images of her gravemarker as well as her husband's and daughter's.  And to top it off, today I found her obit which appeared in the San Jose Evening News of June 25, 1932 which reads in part.

"Mrs Britton was born in Ulster, Ireland, December 11, 1851. She died Thusday at her home.... The deceased was married to William Britton in November, 1892, in Ireland and came to Morgan Hill [a town in Santa Clara Co. California and now a suburb of San Jose]  in the spring of 1893...... Mrs Britton is survived by an only daughter, Miss Irene Britton R.N. ....
She also leaves three sisters, Mrs. Mary Montgomery of New Jersey, amd Misses Elizabeth Craig and Martha Craig of Ireland."

It is especially good to see the mention of Mary Montgomery as this more or less confirms that I have the right Montgomerys. Mary Craig and James Cousley Montgomery emmigrated to Canada within days of their marriage, had 4 children in Montreal then in 1896 emmigrated to Boston where another child was born. Their childrens' employments took them to New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. After her husband's death in 1921, she moved in with her eldest daughter in East Orange, NJ where she resided until her death in 1934.

Al
Do you have any information about the Montgomery family that lived in Moville, Ireland? James Cousley Montgomery is my greatgrandfather and I am looking for more information about his family. My grandfather was the youngest son to be born when the Montgomery family moved to Boston, MA. James's father's name was Robert and his mother's name was Mary Cousley. Any information you have would be helpful.

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 July 13 04:53 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information about the Montgomery family that lived in Moville, Ireland? James Cousley Montgomery is my greatgrandfather and I am looking for more information about his family. My grandfather was the youngest son to be born when the Montgomery family moved to Boston, MA. James's father's name was Robert and his mother's name was Mary Cousley. Any information you have would be helpful.

Hi annlbtx,

I am sorry to say that I have no definite information about your Robert Montgomery and Mary Cousley.   

I have been wondering about the origin of your grandfather's second given name as well as those o his siblings, only his brother's, Robert Craig Montgomery, is obvious. Other generations and branches of this Craig family appear to have used second givens as a way to remember and honour the surnames of mothers, grandmothers and greatgrandmothers, etc. Could that also have been the case in your grandfather's generation of Montgomerys? 

Al C

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 October 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, finally got round to photographing some of the graves in Clar churchyard, Moville and although I didn't see any Craigs buried there I did see a couple of Montgomery graves, not sure if they are of interest, but here is a transcription of the older gravestone:

In Loving memory of Josiah Montgomery died 11th Jan 1921 aged 82 years. And his beloved wife Mary died 26th Feb 1929, aged 79 years. Also sons Robert B died 14th Feb 1919, aged 24 Years. Henry died 15th Dec. 1920 aged 42 years James died in infancy. Also his parents Josiah Montgomery died 15th Nov, 1879. Elizabeth Montgomery died 28th June 1888. Also his daughter Elizabeth died 16th Feb 1966. Polly , died 13th May 1966

Regards

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline wildlifejane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 March 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Robert John Craig MC was the older brother of George Daly Craig and son of William Craig and Georgina nee Daly of Londonderry. I am his granddaughter and am delighted you have so much information about his younger brother and his mother including the date of her death  28/8/1928. Do you have further details of where she died? We know she emigrated to the US in 1920, a year after her son George went to Seattle. My mother (born in British Guiana) always wanted to know what happened to her grandmother, sadly she died 2 years ago. George became a US citizen in 1928 but the family had no contact with him. We think he married a Violet Elizabeth Lawson who also died in California and would love to know of any offspring. What an amazing website - thank you so much!

Offline wildlifejane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Al
Excited to get such a prompt reply to my very first post. You posted Georgina's death date on the Great War forum. A Richard Daly acted as sponsor for George Daly Craig on his naturalisation petition. I guessed it might be Georgina's brother. Will be in touch.

Offline sean mc cauley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
i was born and reared in carrownaffe in the1960s and gathered potatoes for the mc laughlin family their were 2 brothers and 2 sisters in the house at that time they were better known as craigs