Author Topic: UNSWORTH AND CLEWS FAMILIES  (Read 3559 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
UNSWORTH AND CLEWS FAMILIES
« on: Friday 23 March 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm searching for information on Harry Clews and Kate Unsworth' family.  Kate was my Dad's first cousin, I think, and married Harry 1930 in Manchester North.  This is the only marriage for Kate Unsworth (born 1907 in Manchester), anywhere in England during a 70 year period, so I think this must be her.

I know Kate Unsworth born 1908  manchester and was a child of George Howley Unsworth born Reddish Stockport and Martha Smith born Gorton.
George and Martha's other children were Annie born Manchester 1907, John born 1911 Manchester, and Arthur born 1913 Manchester.

As far as I'm aware Kate and Harry Clews had only 2 children; Joyce born 1931 and Samuel born 1932 both in Manchester North.

I have found  burials in Manchester for Kate Clews parents George and Martha Unsworth so the family still in Manchester at this time. George Howley Unsworth buried 31/12/1947 age 59 and Martha buried 10/10/1936.

Does anyone have any information on the Clews family or Kate's siblings Annie, John and Arthur Unsworth please?  I think Annie and Arthur died young but not sure.  Possible marriage for John Unsworth could have been to Ann Dolan in Manchester 1934 having children Gladys, Maureen and Beryl.
Many thanks
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: UNSWORTH AND CLEWS FAMILIES
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Martha Smith and George Unsworth married, St Barnabas ,Openshaw,Manchester 1906
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Kate's death reg??

Kate Clews
age 36
Dec qtr 1944
Manchester
8d 495

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:36 GMT (UK) »
It seems Annie and kate were b. Openshaw - so births would be Chorlton reg dist

There are 2 birth reg's for Annie Unsworth Mar qtr 1907 and Sept qtr 1906 so don't know which is the correct one

There is a marriage
Annie Unsworth
Lawrence Arrandale
Sept qtr 1928
S manchester
8d 325

there is a death reg
Annie Arrandale
Dec qtr 1947
age 39
Manchester
10e 173

and
Death reg
Lawrence Arrandale
age 26
Sept qtr 1931
S Manchester
8d 135

Think Lawrencs was b c. 1905 Openshaw

There is a birth
Fred Arrandale
mother's maiden name Unsworth
Dec qtr 1928
manchester S
8d 181

and a death reg
Fred Arrandale
born 4 Dec 1928
death reg Jul 20002
age 73
Manchester
D67B
0061D

a marriage Sept qtr 1954 Manchester
10e 743

can't opost wife's name as she may still be living

They had 2 sons in 1955 and 1956

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Samuel Clews born 28th July 1932 died November 2002 North Shropshire.
There is a marriage for Joyce Clews in 1957 at Oldham St Pauls. Its on Lancashire bmd.

Heather

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
thank you both Radcliff and Suzard for your help and information and wow, Suz you've found out such a lot!  It has given me something to go on now for a living relative.  I hadn't seen the death for poor Kate at all, I wonder what happened to their children Joyce and Samuel? I wonder if their father Harry survived and looked after them or they were fostered out to family?  Just checked out death for Harry and it appears he died in Salford in 1989 March.  No wonder I couldn't find his birth initially, he was born Cyril Harry Clews in West Derby.  So maybe I should stretch my search for the children around the West Derby area also.

I had seen the marriage of a Annie to a Arrandale but wasn't at all sure if that was her or not but its certainly worth chasing up to find out if its them, so if it is correct poor Annie died young too along with her husband even younger! So thats why neither Annie nor Kate had more children!
Thanks again for the help.
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Joyce Clews had 4 sons in the Blackpool area. I will send you a message with the details.
Heather

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Heather, I'll check that one out, I wonder what he was doing in Shropshire? One of my other ancestors (not related to Samuel) is also from there and I'm having a job finding her there on the earlier cns'!!
Catherine

Offline Carol8181

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm searching for information on Harry Clews and Kate Unsworth' family.  Kate was my Dad's first cousin, I think, and married Harry 1930 in Manchester North.  This is the only marriage for Kate Unsworth (born 1907 in Manchester), anywhere in England during a 70 year period, so I think this must be her.

I know Kate Unsworth born 1908  manchester and was a child of George Howley Unsworth born Reddish Stockport and Martha Smith born Gorton.
George and Martha's other children were Annie born Manchester 1907, John born 1911 Manchester, and Arthur born 1913 Manchester.

As far as I'm aware Kate and Harry Clews had only 2 children; Joyce born 1931 and Samuel born 1932 both in Manchester North.

I have found  burials in Manchester for Kate Clews parents George and Martha Unsworth so the family still in Manchester at this time. George Howley Unsworth buried 31/12/1947 age 59 and Martha buried 10/10/1936.

Does anyone have any information on the Clews family or Kate's siblings Annie, John and Arthur Unsworth please?  I think Annie and Arthur died young but not sure.  Possible marriage for John Unsworth could have been to Ann Dolan in Manchester 1934 having children Gladys, Maureen and Beryl.
Many thanks
Catherine
I may be able to help you with some information about Sam Clewes and his sister Joyce which is my mum every one called her Dorothy dot for short as she never liked her first name so every body called her by her second name ,I’m carol the youngest daughter of 4 my mum past away on the 14 November this year 2017 her funeral is on the 9 jan 2018 mum was 86 .