Author Topic: St Michaels Garston  (Read 3811 times)

Offline suzi1302

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Michaels Garston
« on: Friday 23 March 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello All, my first post! I have just found my Great, Great, Great Grandmother Rosanna Tart and Spouse and some other family members in St Michael's Church Garston. Most of my other family are buried in Ford Cemetry so I've never ventured out to Garston, I live abroad now and planning to visit Liverpool next weekend, so trying to piece things before my trip, Does anyone know how to find the grave or plot numbers? Will i be able to read them is it worth me visiting the church? is it still open to the public? Lots of questions!! Thank you :-0

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Garston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Suzi
Welcome to the forum.
St. Michael's CofE Church has a graveyard open to the public, although its gates may be closed at night.  I do not know if there is a plan and it might be difficult to find out, as there has been no vicar for about seven years! (soon to be remedied, I believe.)
The best time to catch a church official would  be when a service is held - Sundays of course, and 10.00 on Wednesdays.
A

Offline suzi1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 03:46 GMT (UK) »
That's great! thank you. :)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Many of the burial records for both are on Ancestry - it might be worth taking advantage of their free trial for a couple of weeks if you have a lot. 

Ford was the main RC cemetery for Liverpool.  St Michaels is in what was the heart of Garston village, many old graves - many with readable headstones if they happened to have one.

You may find this page useful for Ford
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~liverpoolindexes/maps.html

I dont' know of a map for St Michaels - if you happen to find one, let me know! Might be worth giving them a call see if they can help.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:02 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at a Roseanna buried in 1881in St Michaels?  Doesn't say a plot number/section I'm afraid so it'll probably be a case of tramping round unless you give them a call and they can help you. It's not a huge cemetary though, only a small church yard, so it won't take hours. 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Suzi...lovely sunny day here....in Garston...my family church is St Michaels..I will have a look later for you ...PM me a mobile phone number that I can MMS any photos I take on my phone ......I will go about 11am wish me luck...I will go for a Sunday pint so should be back online about 3pm
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Suzi...I had a good look - was there about an hour - no sign of Roseanna .....I would say 85% of the graves have headstones which are readable and there are about 45/50 with no headstones...the gras was cut yesterday and the grounds are well maintained...I am in Ireland on friday and saturday and am free on sunday if you wish me to help look for Roseanna...she might be on a headstone and I have missed her ....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline DaveJoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzi,

Just noticed your post. Rosannah Tart (nee Evans) was my 3rd great-grandmother also! Buried at St Michael's, Garston on 7th March 1881. I've a family tree on Ancestry, if you're interested. Cheers, Dave.