Author Topic: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range  (Read 48110 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range
« Reply #90 on: Friday 25 May 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Those photos look like a younger version of your original photo of Mary Walsh.

I'm a bit confused as to who the man is with Mary Walsh is that your father in law?  I think the man, Mary Walsh and the child all have a likeness.  Could the man and Mary be brother and sister and perhaps Owen a child of Mary's or a nephew.  He seems very comfortable with all the adults, as if he's very close to them.

Offline CherylP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 25 May 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
LizzieW Yes the man is my Father-in-Law and I don't think he was related to Mary at all. The only link with Mary Walsh is that my Mother-in-Law used to work for Mary and then adopted one of the babies - my husband. Unfortunately my Father-in-Law died when my husband was 7. We have no idea who Owen is.

Offline Erika fidler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
My mum had a boy at Doris Court but has no birth cert or adoption cert for him. Anyone any idea how I could find out anything about him?  He was born in 1961 and her name was Norma Ridgeway.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Was Ridgeway your mum's maiden name?  If so, there is no birth registered for a baby born to a mother called Ridgeway between 1955 and 1965 in the correct area, unless she registered the baby with a different surname.  I had a baby at Doriscourt whilst unmarried and the birth is clearly shown on FreeBMD, so I know if the baby was born at Doriscourt it would have been registered there, as the registrar came to the nursing home to register all babies (not just the ones of unmarried mums).

In any case, even if you get the birth certificate it will only show that the baby was adopted and there is nothing you can do, apart from your mum registering her interest with the Adoption Contact Register www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register  and hope that the child has also registered.  Mums cannot find adopted children, only the adopted children can find their mums.

Unless, of course, you try a programme like Long Lost Family and see if they can help.

ps.  I haven't got my daughter's birth certificate, but I could get it if I wanted to as I can see the reference on FreeBMD.  I know my daughter got her birth certificate so she could trace me, which she did about 12 years ago.

Offline Erika fidler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 22 October 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie. Thank you for answering my question. Where did you look to check the surname?  She could have also registered under Whalley (her married name - but baby wasn’t his.) Or Singleton. Who I suspect the baby was fathered by?
Xxx

Was Ridgeway your mum's maiden name?  If so, there is no birth registered for a baby born to a mother called Ridgeway between 1955 and 1965 in the correct area, unless she registered the baby with a different surname.  I had a baby at Doriscourt whilst unmarried and the birth is clearly shown on FreeBMD, so I know if the baby was born at Doriscourt it would have been registered there, as the registrar came to the nursing home to register all babies (not just the ones of unmarried mums).

In any case, even if you get the birth certificate it will only show that the baby was adopted and there is nothing you can do, apart from your mum registering her interest with the Adoption Contact Register www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register  and hope that the child has also registered.  Mums cannot find adopted children, only the adopted children can find their mums.

Unless, of course, you try a programme like Long Lost Family and see if they can help.

ps.  I haven't got my daughter's birth certificate, but I could get it if I wanted to as I can see the reference on FreeBMD.  I know my daughter got her birth certificate so she could trace me, which she did about 12 years ago.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
I looked on FreeBMD, which as the name implies is free to search - www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   Just click on births, put in the name Whalley, mother's surname Ridgeway and under District click on Manchester (from 1939), leave Counties as All Counties.

There is a Robert Whalley, mother's surname Ridgway registered Apr-Jun quarter 1961, reference Manchester, vol 10e page 127.  If you want to buy the certificate you need to go to
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp and follow the instructions.  If you are not registered with GRO you will need to register, free to register, certificate will cost you £9.25. 

Of course, you don't need all that information to find a birth, marriage or death, just put in what you know, which is usually just a name and dates.  If that is not the right child, just do a search with every combination of names you've given me.

Offline Erika fidler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 22 October 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Oh my word Lizzie. Thank you. The name Singleton that I gave you is my dad (who I’m pretty sure is baby’s dad) Was called Robert!

I’ll do some more investigating
Many thanks Erika xxx

I looked on FreeBMD, which as the name implies is free to search - www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   Just click on births, put in the name Whalley, mother's surname Ridgeway and under District click on Manchester (from 1939), leave Counties as All Counties.

There is a Robert Whalley, mother's surname Ridgway registered Apr-Jun quarter 1961, reference Manchester, vol 10e page 127.  If you want to buy the certificate you need to go to
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp and follow the instructions.  If you are not registered with GRO you will need to register, free to register, certificate will cost you £9.25. 

Of course, you don't need all that information to find a birth, marriage or death, just put in what you know, which is usually just a name and dates.  If that is not the right child, just do a search with every combination of names you've given me.

Offline simark

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I'm one of twin boys that were adopted from DorisCourt in August/September 1958.
Does anyone remember anything about twin boys or DorisCourt generally at this time?

Offline Poppy’sMum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 20 February 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I was very interested to read the accounts and info on this thread. I was born at Doriscourt Nursing Home, Whalley Range in April 1961. My birth mother was pregnant as the result of an extra marital affair. Her husband was prepared to forgive her and the keep the family together (they already had a daughter) on condition that she gave the baby up for adoption. They went to Marriage Guidance and were referred to the Manchester and District Child Adoption Society in November 1960. I don’t know how long my birth mother was confined at Doriscourt but at 9 days of age I went to stay with a lady in Bramhall, for payment, foster mother? I was there for three weeks when I was transferred to my adoptive parents. They had already adopted three babies through the Adoption Society and had expressed a desire for a fourth (girl) baby so had been waiting for a suitable candidate! It appears from my records that it was all quite well organised through the appropriate channels. I contacted my birth mother through a post-adoption agency 15 or so years ago but sadly she didn’t want to know. She was still with her husband so probably not the easiest situation.  Any comments welcome!