Author Topic: Mackay Mackenzie family  (Read 11543 times)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mackay Mackenzie family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 March 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
1881 Census Glasgow Barony

Mitchell K Allison   50
Elizabeth Allison   46
Elizabeth K Allison   13
Agnes J Allison             9
Margaret N Allison     7
Robertina I Allison     3
Robert M McKenzie   24  Lodger    Drapers Warehouseman     b Assynt (Gaelic)
Hunter Dunlop           22

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
A possibility for his parents are Evander MacKenzie b Assynt 1812 and Ann nee Kelly b Assynt 1814

1861 for Sutherland has a son Robert aged 7 b Assynt and a son called John Kelly MacKenzie b 1832 Assynt

John Kelly  Mackay Mackenzie. b. c.1891 Iverness

Best wait for the marriage cert details in case it's the wrong parents
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jodene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 13 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, i'm trying to find out some info on the Mackay Mackenzie family Myself. This thread popped up on a google search. My Grandfather was Robert Mackay Mackenzie. He was born in Cork and his family moved to Liverpool when he was in his early teens. I'm told that his father was a Shipping Merchant from Inverness and his mother was from Cork where they settled. Her family were wealthy due to connections with the Punch Shoe Polish Company in Cork. My Mum thought her surname was Lauder or something of the like. Not sure if we're talking about the same Mackay Mackenzies who lived in Cork? Would love to hear from the Author of this post to clarify

ps i'm new to this site and have only just started to try and trace my family tree so apologies if i'm doing anything wrong in adding to this post

Offline Jodene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Just verified with my Mum - my Great-Grandfathers name was Alexander Mackay Mackenzie and he was born in Inverness. My Grandfather (Robert) was born 29th sept 1915. I wonder if the Alexander you mention is him and Abigail and Robert are my Great-Great Grandparents?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Just verified with my Mum - my Great-Grandfathers name was Alexander Mackay Mackenzie and he was born in Inverness. My Grandfather (Robert) was born 29th sept 1915. I wonder if the Alexander you mention is him and Abigail and Robert are my Great-Great Grandparents?
Hi Jodene, I did a very comprehensive family history on Robert Mackay Mackenzie who lived in Cork Ireland but was born in Iverness. Their son was Alexander Mackay Mackenzie. I photographed their headstones in a cemetery in Cork also.  If you make a few more posts I will be able to personal message you with my email address.  Will have a look in my "archives" and see if I still have any records/photos.  I was doing the research for a great great grandaughter of Robert who lives in Portugal. I did get great assistance from the moderators on this site and as I live in County Cork I was able to do some research also locally as Roberts only daughter lived in the town where I live. Regards :) PS Who did your grandfather Robert marry?

Offline Jodene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 March 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ballydw, thanks for replying! My Grandfather (Robert) married Madge Sparks. My Mum was born in 1948 and said she had never met her Grandfather Alexander so i would assume he passed away before her birth. My Grandfather died around 1969. many thanks

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 March 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jodene, should have asked if you knew Alexander MackayMackenzie wifes name.  When did they move to Liverpool? Can you give me names of Alexanders children/years of birth. Wonder did he marry in Cork or Liverpool!!
Have managed to retrieve the Headstone photos from the recycle bin and Alexander is commemorated on the stone with his parents and another brother Robert (Bertie).  Alexanders death is given as 1st November 1944 age 56yrs.

There is a good possibility they could be your ancestors as Mackay Mackenzie would have been an unusual name in Cork I think.  Regards Frances

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 March 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Robert Mackay Mackenzie Birth December 1914 Reg District Cork Vol 5 Page 77
www.groireland.ie  if you would like to get a photocopy of his birth cost is €4 it will verify his mothers name.

Marriage for Alexander Thompson MacKenzie Reg District Cork March 1914. Vol 5 Page 7.
There are 3 possibilities for his spouse namely Margaret Jane McIntosh, Lily Evans, Mary Jane O connell.
There is a probate record for Alexander Thomson Mackenzie, 11 The Grove Bebington, Cheshire UK
d. 1/11/1944 (this ties in with date on headstone in Cork) at Port Sunlight hospital Cheshire.
Probate to his widow Ann Elizabeth Mackenzie (this may be Lily Evans above) or do you know if Alexander may have been married twice? :)