Author Topic: William McGowan Ballyshannon  (Read 5742 times)

Offline emeraldmaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McGowan Ballyshannon
« on: Tuesday 27 March 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandparents were William McGowan a fisherman and Winifred Boyle b. c. 1802 from Ballyshannon. Winifred's father was Edward Boyle a blacksmith and her mother was Mary Tierney. I found Winifred and six adult children - Patrick, William, Matthew, Anne, Margaret and Catherine in the 1861 Scottish Census. They were not in the 1851 Census, but I did find a marriage certificate for her son Patrick who married Margaret McMillan / McMullen in 1856, so I would imagine the McGowans moved to Glasgow sometime between 1851 and 1856. I have been unable to find any record of William in Scotland so feel he may have died before they moved.

I know records were not kept until 1864 in Ireland but maybe someone may know this family.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William McGowan Ballyshannon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

you can also still get on the Ballyshannon site if you go through www.google.com or ask geeves

and type in the search box - growing up in Ballyshannon

McGowan still leaving in Ballyshannon so have a look at the list and get in touch with one of them.

I think I am relatived to the McGowan on of the McGowan was a my Birth.  I was born in Ballyshannon but brought up in Lancashire.

Offline emeraldmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rathmore,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this message for me. I have also answered your pm.

I found a Winifred McGowan in the Griffith's Valuation in Ireland living in Bishop Street and presume she is my ancestor who moved to Scotland in the mid to late 1850's. I did make contact with some McGowans in Ballyshannon last year but they were unable to confirm if we are related or not.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
in 1846 in Ballyshannon - James Boyle, Black & White smith, on Back Street.

Boyle family's are still living in Ballyshannon.

in 1939/40 electors list Tierney family living at west port ballyshannon, Castle Street.

Offline emeraldmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 13 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rathmore,

Thank you for your pm which I have replied to by e-mail. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks also for this information. I had already found James Boyle, Blacksmith and thought it possible that he could have been a son of Edward Boyle, as James was a name used down through the years by the McGowans. The information regarding Boyle and Tierney families living in Ballyshannon in 1939 / 40 is very interesting. Thank you for notifying me of this. Your help is much appreciated.

Offline monte118

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am also related to the McGowans. Winifred who died 02/06/1878 in Glasgow was my gggg grandmother.

Offline monte118

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have William marrying a Mary McCafferty. They had a daughter Margaret McGowan who married a John Traynor. I think Margaret had a son but don't know if it was to Mr Traynor as he seems to have died in his late 30's.

Offline emeraldmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 September 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Monte118,

Yes, this is the same family. William and Winifred McGowan were my ggg grandparents. Margaret McGowan was the daughter of their son William. She and John Traynor were my Great Grandparents.

I will send you a pm.