Author Topic: BARR Hedwig Caroline South Australia  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BARR Hedwig Caroline South Australia
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
Sashar, I had not checked this site nor FamilyHistorySA passenger lists.
It The 1841 Skjold passenger list can be found here. The BAR family can be found as BAUER.
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1841Skiold.htm

Bound for South Australia, The Ships List – German Emigration to SA, and FamilyHistorySA all use BISA as a cross reference, and BISA is the source of many, many errors.
FamilyHistorySA and The Ships List are more than willing to correct wrong details when shown the correct records.

I’m sticking my neck out here because I dispute the individual who propagated the error of an 1841 arrival. I have yet to see evidence this family were in SA between 1841-1855. The fact is there was NO list of passengers for the Skjold named in the newspaper in 1841, but F BÄR (and family) were reported on their arrival in 1855.

To translate BÄR into BAUER is grossly inaccurate – maybe just an assumption but it shows a lack of understanding german surnames.
Any surname with an umlaut is translated as follows:
Ä = AE,  Ö = OE,  Ü = UE.
Hence BÄR is actually BAER or perhaps BAEHR but . . . . I don’t know how the H came to be in the surname.

In Australia that E was often dropped completely from various surnames.  I think german surnames were altogether too difficult to explain as they were not written as pronounced, not to mention the difficulty in recording BMDs of illiterate Germans. 

Bound for South Australia has one of my families arriving in 1849 as husband, wife and 16 y.o. son. However, the family actually arrived in 1855 with eight children, and seven were born prior to 1849.  I am descended from the youngest child born in Silesia in 1853. According to a family story they attempted to emigrate earlier but were prevented by the serious illness of a child. So I understand the family were in fact planning to emigrate in 1849 but had a change of plans at the last minute.

The Lutheran Archives have a database that names every person recorded in church registers, so the BAHR children should be in their database.

The maiden name for Mrs BAHR was recorded as MARSCH when their only child was born in SA– a variation of MERSCH as recorded when they applied to emigrate in 1840. 
The Naturalisation records of three sons support their arrival in 1855 even though an aged FW could not remember exactly but then he was just a 4 y.o. when he arrived.
Heinrich/Henry [NAA3185727]   
Christian [NAA 3178688] 
Frederick William [NAA 39419] 

Rhonda

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,
It appears Pastor Fritzche's group split up.  They stayed for a few days at Klemzig, then Pastor Fritzche moved to Hahndorf where he married. 
However, it mentions that some of the group who remained at Klemzig moved to Angas's land in the Barossa, which became Bethany.  This happened in 1842.
Pastor Fritzche eventually settled in Lobethal.
Another Pastor Kavel, who was already at Klemzig, moved to Langmeil in the Barossa Valley.   Both Pastors serviced Hahndorf and the Barossa.

I can see where Rhonda is coming from in regards to the family maybe delayting their voyage as the book also mentions a bit about the 1841 voyage of the Skjold and it appears that several people had fallen sick and died just before they planned to embark.  There were many plagues around at the time. This may have caused people to rethink their journey.  There were approx. 3 deaths per day aboard the ship on the voyage out and the ship itself was not in very good condition.
There are many examples of people being refused to immigrate because they gave false reasons to the authorities e.g. claimed they were Lutheran and were not.   To emigrate they were to be accompanied by a Pastor that they already knew.

I agree with Rhonda about the confusion in German names, only recently finding that the "E" had been dropped on the Surname of my husband's family the very day they arrived in Australia and signed papers.   The "E" is on the ships list records but it was not on signatures and the birth of a child just a few weeks after arrival.   The mothers name was recorded as Anna Auguste on the ships list but in Australia she was known and buried as Caroline/Karoline. No mention of that name on the ships list.  Same confusion with Naturalisation records as mentioned by Rhonda.

Maybe Hedwig Caroline was born at sea?

The only mention of Flaxman in the book is that he was Secretary to George Angas and involved in bringing the immigrants to Australia.  Wonder when the town of Flaxman was established?

I'll keep reading,
Sashar

Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 03:54 BST (UK) »
If I remember correctly, Charles Flaxman was the agent for G F ANGAS and arranged the sale  or lease of land to the german immigrants.

Flaxman's Valley was a location to the NW of Eden Valley but never a gazetted town?
http://www.placenames.sa.gov.au/pno/index.jsf
"Flaxman took up land in this area on 26/4/1839 on behalf of G.F.Angas-vide gazette 25/7/1839"

Rhonda

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 04:16 BST (UK) »
You are right about Flaxman Rhonda.

Flaxman's Valley must have been a twinkle in the eye in 1840 as it is mentioned in a letter by Pastor Kavel as a place of future Settlement in a couple of years.

Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline JamesGH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, descendants of George Friederick Bahr and  Anna Elizabeth (Marsch) Bahr
 are fairly well traced by John Bahr here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bahr-165

hope this helps

cheers

James