Author Topic: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!  (Read 21412 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« on: Wednesday 28 March 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I stumbled accross some information that is probably something every genealogist dreams of.

Basically, my ggg grandfather Thomas Jones of Trewyddel, Gwenlli (near Synod Inn) had a famous musician cousin who went by the name of Dafydd Siencyn Morgan (or David Jenkin Morgan in its anglesized form). I know this because Thomas Jones' obituary states they were cousins (not gospel, but a good indication of truth).

Now Dafydd Siencyn Morgan, was the son of a well known sexton of Llangrannog. Francis Jones in Cardiganshire Homes and their Families (epic book)  states that the father claimed a proud ancestry from the Lords of Towyn (Gwbert, Ferwig near Cardigan), who in turn claim descent from Gwynfardd, Prince of Dyfed in the 11th Century.

So, you can understand my excitement when I came accross this information. I am close to establishing my family's genealogy for near on 1000 years (albeit not 100% reliable, but still quite compelling nonetheless).

Now this is what I need to do:

Prove that my ggg grandfather Thomas Jones born 1813 was in fact a cousin of Dafydd Siencyn Morgan born 1752. Now this means that I must find a common ancestor between the two. I am not very well aquainted with researching records from this period in history and I was wondering where I should start?

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardgan lineage!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Start with what you do know and work backwards from your GGG Grandfather Thomas Jones born 1813.  You could start looking at familysearch.org and then verifying any information obtained from there with parish registers.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I just went onto Familysearch.org and found a Thomas Jones Christened in Llandysiliogogo to a Joshua Jones and Elizabeth on 24th January 1813. Sounds promising -  I cant believe I found that record in such a short time! Thanks very much.

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
So I guess I now need to confirm this record by finding it in the Parish Register?

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 12 09:01 BST (UK) »
You may wish to try Ceredigion Archives at archives@ceredigion.gov.uk or telephone 01970633697/8.   Alternatively get in touch with Ceredigion Family History Society www.cgnfhs.org.uk/

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Ok I will try thanks.

With fuel costing as much as it does it could very well be an option to pay a 3rd party for undertaking the research on my behalf.

I wonder if such a service exists?

Thanks

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Have a word with the ladies at the Archives, they are very helpful.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Ok well a brief update on this quest for information.

I failed to find Thomas Jones parents. Well the people who I thought they were, turned out to be wrong.

On the other end of the missing link, I have started tracing right the way back.

The highlights include:

Llanborth and Dyffryn Hownant of Penbryn.
Plas Eglwyswen in Pembrokeshire.
The Lordship of Towyn near Cardigan.
Rhydderch ap Rhys (to whom Dafydd Nanmor wrote poetry)
Dafydd ap Gwilym (one of Wales Foremost poets).
Gwilym ab Einon (constable of Cardigan castle),
Llewylyn fychan (constable of Emlyn castle),
Coedmor/coedmawr estate
The Bowens of Pentre Evan

etc etc. Still cant seem to get a primary source connecting my Thomas to DS Morgan though....

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Remember that they could be cousins through a maternal line.