Author Topic: book on pre 1841 Census  (Read 5856 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
book on pre 1841 Census
« on: Thursday 29 March 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have loaned the book on the pre 1841 census, from my library. The following villages are listed
1801 Eakring, Kinoulton and Welbeck Abbey.
1811 Gotham, Kinoulton,  W Retford, Laxton and Worksop.
1821 Gamston, Gotham, Kinoulton, Laxton, Radford, Syerston and Thorpe.
1831 Beckingham, Blyth, Car Colston, Edwalton, Gotham, Mansfield, Torworth and Walkeringham.
If any one wants a lookup let me know, the details are limited mainly to main householder, but it does give the number of people in the house.

SORRY BOOK NOW RETURNED TO LIBRARY.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline paulib03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: book on pre 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 12 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I would like to know if you have a Joseph Hallam,born in Gotham 1806 to Joseph Hallam and Mary Harrison.He was transported to Australia in 1829.I have the story of his crime and court case which include his half brother,but would like more info on his family.

Pauline

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
The early census were not as detailed as the 1841, mainly just giving the main head of house and the number of people in the household.
1811 Census Gotham Notts Archives Ref PR21,408
Jos. HALAM--
1 house 1 family.occupation T = Trade. 5 males, 3 females, 8 people total.
Wm. HALAM--
1 house, 2 families. occ T =Trade.2 males, 2 females. 4 people total.
other occupier Robert GREG T=Trade 1 male, 1 fmale 2 people total.
Mos. Halam Junr==
1 house 2 families. T=Trade.3 males, 1 female 4 people total
Mos. Halam senr. Trade 1 male, 1 female. 2 people total.
Richd Halam--
1 house 1 family L (?) 3 males 1 female. 4 total. made the 12th day July 1811. John Kirkby rector William Fedfern John Draper churchwardens.

the 1821 census just lists the population as such
109 inhabited houses
118 families
44 families employed in agriculture
73 families employed in trade, manufacture or handicraft
1 other not listed in the preceding classes.
319 males
306 females
625 total.
the 1831 is the same but the population has risen to 748.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
Baptism in Gotham, St Lawrence
Joseph HALLAM 26 Dec 1806 parents Joseph and  Mary. Do you want the other baptisms that possibly relate to this couple?
Baptism Gotham
Joseph Hallam 1 Dec 1771 parents  Moses and Ann- possibly the older Joseph?
Marriages Gotham
Moses Hallam / Anne Hogg 22-May 1770.
Joseph Hallam / Mary Harrison 12 Feb 1793
Burials Gotham
Moses Hallam 21 Jan 1813 aged 72
Mary Hallam 23 June 1816 aged 44
43 other Hallam burials.

Offline paulib03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

Thanks for the lookup on the Hallams,that gives me a bit to go on with.

Pauline

Offline paulib03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 April 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again Larkspur,
You looked up some info for me about the Hallams in Gotham,there seem to be a lot of Hallams there I am getting a headache trying to fugure out who is who.That book you have  is it readily available for purchase and if so where could I order one to be sent to Australia.
I think I could find out a lot from it without bugging you all the time.

Pauline

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 April 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
The book is- Notts Family History Society records series vol 95 Nottinghamshire pre 1841 census.
I borrowed it from my library as it does not seem to be available to buy.As I said earlier it has very limited details and the only Halams in  Gotham are the ones I previously mention.
The other info is from the  CD of NFHS Burials Baptisms and Marriages, which is where the main info came from. You can purchase this CD I think it was around £50. I usually use S&N genealogy supplies.
Iam assuming your Joseph is the one who felonously killed a ewe sheep in Rempstone , he was sentenced to death, his life only to be spared if he was sent out of the country!! The Standard March 26th 1829.Another article in the Morning Chronicle states Joseph and Thomas Hallam did the dirty deed, and Elizabeth Hallam- wife of someone recently deported "dobbed"them in!! On Sep 12 1829 it seems they went from Nottingham Gaol to the "Retribution hulk, Sheerness".

Offline dave-the-rave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 April 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
hi larkspur is there any clarks 1811 worksop ie thomas born 1779 george 1814 mary 1809 john 1804 thomas 1803 if you dont mind having a look please thanks again dave
willmore,clark,hedley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 April 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Potter Street, Worksop 1811
Thos. Clarke 1 house, 1 family. 4 males,2 females 6 persons total. 1 member of the family employed in agriculture.