Author Topic: 1911 - No. 2 Gillygate, York  (Read 1659 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1911 - No. 2 Gillygate, York
« on: Thursday 29 March 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Tom Powell (a waiter) and family living at this address - he is listed as working for a hotel - looking on google it now appears to be a hi-fi shop but the building on streetview looks like it was a much larger building in its own right

any yorkies out there know about this building?

many thanks from a Lanky crack-pot

lol

;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bobb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Bourbon, gambling, The Fall, YCFC, quantum physics etc. Politically homeless.
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 - No. 2 Gillygate, York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I know this is a very old post but hopefully you will see my reply.

I believe my late father was born in that house. Im not sure but I think it was probably the whole building that his family had. His surname was Johnson. He was born in 1921. I was told it was a boarding house that his mother ran. It apparently accommodated amongst others, many actors who were appearing at the nearby Theatre Royal including some famous names of the day.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 - No. 2 Gillygate, York
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob & welcome to Rootschat.

Just to say I put a post up very recently & had contact from someone who like yourself, had never been on RC before.

He was doing a google search for an area which took him to my post!

I'm sure plimmerian will be pleased.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"