Author Topic: Isaac Moses, b. 1738, of Fenton, Cumberland  (Read 20652 times)

Offline tomk92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Moses, b. 1738, of Fenton, Cumberland
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Here is references to documents on "Old" John's marriage to Margareth Etherington etc.
I have found this on Ancestry and I don't know which archive they reside in. It is definately "old" John, as there are references to "late of Christian-sound, merchant, now of Kingston upon Hull" and "Thomas Moses, George Moses and Isaac Moses at Christiansound".

Ref No. D/X 649/193
 24 January 1763
 (1) John Moses of Kingston upon Hull, merchant
 (2) Margaret Etherington of Kingston upon Hull, spinster
 (3) Henry Etherington of Kingston upon Hull, Esquire; John Porter and Thomas Wilkinson of Kingston upon Hull, Esquires Articles of Agreement for the marriage settlement of (1) and (2). Each party bringing in £5000 to be settled on (3) in trust for (1) and (2) and their issue as specified.

Ref No. D/X 649/194
 Consent of John and Margaret Moses to the sale of stock by the trustees of their marriage settlement, 6 March 1766
 (1 paper)

Ref No. D/X 649/195
 Probate of the will of John Moses, late of Christian-sound, merchant, now of Kingston upon Hull, dated 2 February 1771 devising: Old Park, Broadwood and Stanner Close and other lands in the parishes of Wolsingham, Stanhope and Lanchester; Kings Meadow and the fishery in Northumberland, near Newcastle, upon trust for his daughter Jane Moses as specified with remainder to the issue of his nephew George Moses and cousin Thomas Moses of Newcastle upon Tyne. Codicil devising his house at Ferraby, Yorkshire to his wife for life, 24 April 1773
 [The testator drew up the above will himself and expressed considerable distrust and dislike of lawyers and more particularly his wife's kinsmen and his nephew George. There are stringent conditions regarding marriage in general, continued residence in England, marriage to women of English nationality and an obligation to take the surname Moses incumbent upon the tenant in possesion of the settled estates]
 (parchment, 3 membranes)

Ref No. D/X 649/196
 Volume containing:
 The will of John Moses of Kingston upon Hull, Esquire 2 February 1771; queries and answers of counsel regarding the terms of the will; various estate accounts, lists of rents etc., miscelleaneous bonds, agreements, promissory notes; the will of Jane Etherington of Kingston upon Hull, spinster, dated 13 June 1766; inventories; surrenders of property in the Manor of Wolsingham miscellaneous correspondance between Thomas Moses at Wolsingham, the Rev. John Coxon at Sunderland, Henry Etherington at Kingston upon Hull, John Philipson at Broadwood, Thomas Moses, George Moses and Isaac Moses at Christiansound, Norway etc; bill of complaint and answers in John Coxon, clerk, and others v Thomas Moses of Newcastle upon Tyne and others, in Chancery, 1773 - 1783
 (1 volume, vellum bound)

Ref No. D/X 649/197
 Hawthorn estate rentals 1774-87 examined at the request of Sir Henry Etherington, Bart. with regard to money invested under the marriage settlement of John Moses, 24 June 1787
 (1 volume, card bound)

Ref No. D/X 649/198-199
 Copy of the case concerning the will of John Moses with the opinions of R. Osborne and Thomas Plumer of Lincoln's Inn thereupon, 17 November 1800 - 1 January 1801
 (2 papers)

Ref No. D/X 649/200
 'An account of the receipts of rents and for other effects late belonging to John Moses, Esquire, and payments therefrom,' n.d. [1770's - 1780's]
 (1 booklet)

Comments on the documents about his will seem to understate his strong mind/character, also found in letters to his nephews.

Tom Kaasen

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
The Moses family seem to have been strongly rooted in Weardale, County Durham - large numbers living in both Stanhope and Wolsingham, as shown by the legal documents you have found. There are records of Moses' baptisms etc. going back to the early 17th century. Isaac is a common name, as is Frances. An Isaac Moses was baptised in Wolsingham in 1738 (son of Thomas Moses), the same year as your Isaac.
This would suggest that they were farmers and lead miners originally, like so many families (including mine) in the North Pennines.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline tomk92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Geordie Mag!

"My" Isaac, b. 1738, is from Fenton. I may have mentioned it earlier, that I saw the template for the engraving on his tombstone, at the National Archive in Trondheim, Norway. It read " Isaac Moses of Fenton..." His date of birth was 29. June 1738. He established himself in Kristiansund appr. 1768. He may of course have settled in Fenton before the emigration to Norway, but I think someone found a record of his baptizing in Hayton by Brampton.

Tom Kaasen

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:30 BST (UK) »
Yes - I realise that your Isaac was from Cumberland, but the fact that two boys with the same surname were being given the same slightly unusual Christian name in the same year suggests that there was a  link between the two families - probably fairly recent. Perhaps their fathers were brothers? Your  Isaac's branch obviously retained lands in County Durham, which suggests it was their place of origin.

Offline tomk92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Maybe I misunderstood.

IF the Berwick-upon-Tweed thesis has something to it, I think that these brothers

Matthew Moses, b. appr. 1694
Samuel Moses, b. appr. 1703
John Moses, b. 1713 ("old" John)
Thomas Moses, b. 1724

may have been born there; at least Matthew, Samuel and John (it is John who is said to be born in Berwick-upon-Tweed).

Thomas, b. 1752 was from Newcastle (Even though I guess

It seems Samuel, b. appr. 1703, moved to Cumberland/Fenton and established a living there.

Tom Kaasen

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 14:48 BST (UK) »
I had failed to find them in Berwick - so yes, they could well be his immediate family.

I should explain why I am getting interested in where the Moses family come from. I am rather interested in the way in which families moved around before the late 18th century. The usual opinion is that before that time families stayed put within a very small area (once they had got over the invading/looting/pillaging stage of the 5th to 9th centuries, that is!). However, I think people were far more mobile, at least in northern England, possibly because of the importance of mining, fishing, trade by sea. The Moses family seem to be a very good example of a very mobile family - Weardale, Berwick, Newcastle, Cumberland and then, of course, Norway. So, did they start in Durham and move to Cumberland etc, or did they start in Cumberland , move into Durham because of lead-mining opportunities?
Sorry - these are my interests, not yours, though their restlessness within England probably explains why one branch felt able to face the challenge of moving to Norway,

Offline tomk92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
I find this intersting too. As explained earlier, my main goal is to find descendants of "young" John Moses, but it gets interesting to see a wider picture.
The reason I think there has to be a Scottish connection, is that when "old" John Moses settled in Kristiansund, there were already several Scotsmen running prosperous businesses. Significant names are: John Ramsay, the first to settle in Kristiansund, William Gordon of Cullen, George Leslie of Banff, John Ord and Walter Miln. "Old" John Moses went into business with some of them.

Ramsay, Gordon and Leslie are held to be the real founders of the clipfish-industry of Norway (Bacalao -salted and sundried codfish)

Tom Kaasen

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Well, in a world of very bad roads, the important links were by sea and I guess the families of these Scots and the Moses family may well have  got to know and trust each other already through trade down the east coast of Britain. You would need to trust people, if you were taking the risk of setting up in business in another country. But I am probably thinking of this in the wrong way. The trade between England, Scotland and Norway etc had gone on for centuries, so merchants and traders in these countries probably knew each other very well and wouldn't think of it as a huge risk.

Offline vrachleri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 19 February 16 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Maybe muddying the waters, but the will of Thomas Moses of Stanhope - 1730 is viewable as part of Durham University's archive at:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6X7S-JQ9?i=1&wc=9PQL-TZY%3A1078442178%3Fcc%3D2358715&cc=2358715

he mentions a brother Samuel Moses and family  "of Fentons in the parish of Hayton, Cumberland"

The index Durham University family records archive of Bishops Transcripts; marriage licences and pre-1858 wills/admin/probate is searchable on line at:
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/
leading to online free access to images of the relevant record
Anderson; Jeffs; Becker; Loader; Allan; Meggison; Kirk; Giles; Beale; Clark; Wareham; Willcox; Stirling; Bow; Wilkinson; Walker; Wilson; Fisher
Co Durham; Birmingham; Feckenham; Derbyshire; Scotland; Dorset; Somerset

Marris; Hunter; Williams; Townsend; Agnew; Steven; Robinson, Illiffe; Howkins; Cufflin; Hunt; Aucott; Childs; Grant; Smith
Leicestershire; Wales; Scotland; (Brazil); Co Durham;