Author Topic: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))  (Read 8222 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 April 12 06:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder who was the woman who placed the advertisement  in the WA paper in 1915 regarding the whereabouts of GEORGE KEEBLE.
  I have not seen JOSIAH’s second marriage but perhaps it is there.

The decree for dissolution of his marriage to SOPHIA GANE, GEORGE’s mother was obtained by JOSIAH in 1888 in Wilcania.  The advertisement in 1915, was some years after JOSIAH’s death in 1896. 

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandiebeach44

• RootsChat Member
  • William Hunt and Annie Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 April 12 07:17 BST (UK) »
Wilhelmina was Josiah second wife, they were married in Victoria in 1891.
I am not sure why she would place an advertisment looking for George, so long
after his fathers death.  She died in Victoria in 1960. 

Josiahs first wife Sophia went onto marry the person named in the Divorce proceedings - Charles Grainbauer.
Researching
Hunt, Haddon in Ufford Northamptonshire
Elliston, Barnes in Middlesex
Hogan, Butler in Ireland and Australia
Evans, Edwards, Keeble, Keays, Jamison
and Platten in Australia
Crosby, Dennell and Holdsworth in
Yorkshire

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 April 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
The children bore his name, and by the looks of things, none were biological.  Some have
two birth certificates registered, or have been corrected.

The births were registered as KEEBLE - father unknown or WESTHEAD - father unknown, but the same birth registration number - note the registration numbers and only three certificates have R noted.

According to Lachlan's WW2 service summary he was born after the limit of available birth registrations in Vic.  I wonder how many other children Rachel had?
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.asp?ServiceID=A&VeteranID=545603#summary1

What information leads you to believe that George Henry KEEBLE left Mildura in 1907?

You mention that George's grave has a headstone, someone would have had to organize that.  Perhaps he left a Will with instructions.

Transcriptions of death certificates are available in South Australia at about half the cost of a certified certificate, just in case you even need another one :)

The decree for dissolution of his marriage to SOPHIA GANE, GEORGE’s mother was obtained by JOSIAH in 1888 in Wilcania

Wilcannia.....this looks more and more like George Henry KEEBLE in 1898.

NSW Police Gazette 16th November 1898, page 389.

A George Keeble was tried at the Wilcannia Police Court on 25th Oct 1898 for stealing from a person and sentenced to 3 months hard labour.  Bound over in the sum of £40 and one surety in £40 to be of good behaviour for 12 months and report to the Wilcannia Police every 3 months.

The decree for dissolution of his marriage to SOPHIA GANE, GEORGE’s mother was obtained by JOSIAH in 1888 in Wilcania.  

There is birth in Wilcannie in 1892. Advertisement mentions Wilhelmina "Lena KEEBLE"

1892/38531
KEEBLE Jessie G
Father Josiah W   Mother Lena
District Wilcannia

I don't think you will find any further electoral roll info other than what has already been posted by Sashar and me.

The legal notice was simply a notice that an application would be made to the NSW supreme court to have Josiah's Will probated and George Henry was named an executor.  Well that's how I interpret it ;D

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 April 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
I wonder if  father JOSIAH  and son GEORGE moved around the country together after the end of the marriage of JOSIAH and SOPHIA.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/37566764?searchTerm="george keeble"&searchLimits=

A reference to George Keeble in WA as clearing some land .  Says he was miner 2 years previously.

Sue

Offline Sandiebeach44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 April 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
It is family folklore I suppose you could call it about George leaving before any
children were born.  He was married in 1904 and the first child was born in 1907.
The first childs name has the name McVeigh in it, a clue to his paternal lineage.

Rachel bore 13 children from 1907 to 1930, she was also a midwife.

Georges death fell just outside of the time period where I could get a transcription,
so I had to resort to getting the certificate.

There is a Probate notice for Josiah 1987, the other notice in the paper from Wilhelmina was
from 1915, with her trying to find George Keeble, and was placed in the Barrier Miner Newspaper from Broken Hill,
and we now know he in that area in the 1930's so perhaps he was in that area in 1915 as well.

I hadnt put the Wilcannia occurances together, so perhaps you are right there.  Great find in Trove, I hadnt
come across the George Keeble in Wilcannia!

thanks again  :)
Researching
and Platten in Australia
Yorkshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 April 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
EDIT....The remarriage of the exwife
Sopia KEEBLE remarried......
EDIT

Ferdinand Grambauer died in 1943.  He was a squatter in the Rockhampton district with large tracts of land.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42276955?searchTerm="grambauer"&searchLimits=

Obituary for to Sophia GRAMBAUER who died in  1941

EDIT

Deleted. Incorrect statement. ;)

Sue

Offline Sandiebeach44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 April 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Cool, hadnt yet searched for their obits.

All fits in with the dates I have for them.  :D
Researching
and Platten in Australia
Yorkshire

Offline JohnStephens

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Rachael Vida Keeble (nee Westhead) is my wife's grannie Keeble.  I do not believe she had any children to George Keeble however I do know that she had many men pass through her life.  I also believe that some of those children bare the surname of their father. Eg. Alice Lavinia McInerney Keeble and sister Margaret Rachael Mary McInerney Keeble.  During WWI she communicated with a McInerney who died overseas in action.  I believe Alice and Mary are products of that relationship. Another Harold Keniverus "Campbell" Keeble, another August Victor Foster Keeble.  My wifes mother and 4 of her siblings are the product of a relationship with a "Foster."  The oldest child a boy who died in his teens from a snake bite also bore a surname which I cannot remember for the moment.  I did some research and found that a person with the same surname was in Mildura at the time this boy would have been conceived but eventually ended up in Melbourne where he died.  George Keeble I am told is buried in the Peterborough cemetery.  One of Rachael's grandchildren traced him there apparently many years back and spoke with some old guy who new him.  All the children appear to have been given the name Keeble even though no Keeble appears to have been around at that time.  She had 14 children.  My mother-in-law is Myrtle Eugene Augusta Keeble however her records clearly show her father was Foster.  Some of the men in her life are John Henry McInerney, *** Alexander,  Frederick Foster, Frederick William Kolpin, John B Minford, Claude Lipscombe.  If anyone has any better info please let me know as I am stumbling through this at the moment.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Electoral Roll - Keeble (completed))
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi John :)

Welcome to rootschat :)

Hopefully the OP of the thread will be notified of your post.

If you read through the thread you will see I posted

Perhaps this is him in NSW in 1936 & 1937.

Australian Electoral Roll
KEEBLE George Henry  Middle Camp, Menindee  Labourer
KEEBLE George Henry  234 William Street, Broken Hill  Labourer

Death
KEEBLE George Henry
5 Jun 1968  94 years  Status Widower  No relative noted
Residence Peterborough  Death Place Peterborough   Fro H* 49A/3913

H* indicates he died in hospital or place of care.

Burial record
http://www.peterborough.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?c=8449

The above url is broken....new one

http://www.peterborough.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=240&c=14372

KEEBLE  George Henry  95 years
Cemetery Peterborough  Section Protestant 5  Grave#1374
Last Residence 140 Railway Terrace, Peterborough    
Date of Burial    Friday, 7 June 1968
Minister Officiating    Rev I Barlow
Grave Depth    6
Permit/Lease/Register    0
Burial/Order Number    2413