Author Topic: Alexander Mann  (Read 1268 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Mann
« on: Wednesday 04 April 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
I am interested to know whether Alexander Mann, weaver in Forfar, who died in 1846 aged 84 was one of my ancestors. Any information on his family tree would be helpful.

Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mann
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

FreeCEN http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists an Alexander Mann, aged 70, linen hand loom weaver, in the household of Agnes Clark, aged 20. In the same household are Betsey Peter, 30, and Elizabeth Peter, 10 months.

Ages in the 1841 census were (supposed to be) rounded down to the nearest five years, so Alexander could have been aged 70 to 74, which suggests a birth date of 1766 to 1771. If he was 84 when he died in 1846, this suggests a birth date of 1761 or 1762. So he could have been born any time between 1761 and 1771.

I see from the IGI that Elizabeth Peter, daughter of James Peter and Betty Mann, was baptised in Forfar on 2 August 1840, and there is a 'submitted' listing of the marriage of James Peter to Betty Mann in Forfar on 12 August 1838.

Also from the IGI, Alexander Mann and Martha Peter were married in Forfar on 6 March 1802 and had  had Isabel, 1803; Alexander, 1804; Betty, 1808; John, 1810; Martha, 1815;  and James, 1820.

All this is from online sources not famed for 100% reliability, so it is necessary to check all the details with the original records, which can be accessed at www.scotlandspeoople.gov.uk at modest cost.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. This is just a quick acknowledgement. I will get to work on this later today.
I have an OPR Death Image  Ref. 288/00 0090 0350 FORFAR 16/10/46 but I find it difficult to read.

Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 14:47 BST (UK) »
If you are finding it hard to read, you can post an extract from it here as an attachment and see if anyone can help to decipher it. Or you could contact the staff at Scotland's People, who will be able to help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have contacted Scotlands People and await their response.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar