Author Topic: Walter Robert Leigh or Packman - Brecon  (Read 22081 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Robert Leigh or Packman - Brecon
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 18:08 BST (UK) »
one burial down, one marriage still to find and probably more puzzles to be found. It's possible that the years of marriage from the 1911 census was worked out to be before the birth of the oldest child and the actual marriage was late/much later....

;) 
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
The lovely lady in Powys actually found the burials of the 2 children who died in Brecon as well; all in third class (unpurchased) graves, and no plot numbers recorded, but it's good news for my tree, and a few more loose ends tied up.

Have looked for the Mary Anne/Hannah (Thomas) Leigh ~ Llewellyn James Jones wedding up til 1901 without success (listed as Jones in the 1901 census with Mary Anne's children from her first marriage listed as step-children); then last week found the Oct 1895 baptism of Arthur Godfrey Leigh Jones where the parents are named as Mary Hannah Jones and Llewelyn James Jones, which lines up with an 1894 or 1895 wedding. Will extend my search and name variations, but maybe they never married. :-\
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Pedro Dow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
 : Hello  Deidre 724,  just came across your posts on Roots chat  almost by accident. I was tracing the Leighs about 2 or 3 years ago, but sort of gave up

I'm the guy with the Photos of Walter Roberts Leigh 2nd Warwick 24th Welsh reg of Foot. The title of the News article is Fighting Llanbradach Family. small village near Caerphilly South Wales.

My wife is Irene Leigh, her brother Walter Robert Leigh born 1937. Their father Walter Robert Leigh born 1907 in Pontypridd, died 1985 in Caerphilly. His father Walter Robert Leigh born 22/3/1877 in Brecon died 1925 in Pontypridd, family says he suffered from effects of Gas poisoning etc in WW1
This Walter married a Jennet Herbert born 1889 married 1905 died 1974.
His brothers and sisters are the Albert, Will Charles, John R ( Packman), Thomas Henry ( Harry)and Eliz B Mary, you have found.
This Walter also had his dad with the same name, Walter Robert born in Southwark, Kent 1845 Coachman / Groom  died 1891 in Pontypridd.  All these Walter Roberts must be a Welsh Thing ??
I was as far as Richard Leigh my wife's Great, Great, Grandad.
I have a copy of 1911 Census Walter Leigh, wife Jennet Lee, children Ivor, Robert, Nelly all Lees, Walter even signed the form Lee.
Going back to the Photo, it shows Private Walter Leigh, Private Walter R Leigh (father) Gunner William C Leigh of Sheffield, Private Ben Herbert,of Llanbradach brother in law, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Private Arthur G Leigh-Jones 10th Welsh Regiment (half brother), Private Fred G Burnell of Llanbradach 1st Rhondda Battalion Welsh Reg,(brother in law) and Private Harry Leigh , Pontypridd Welsh Reg.
 How can I send you a copy and the other info I have ??   as I'm not used to this site

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, just going to church but great to hear from you and welcome to Rootschat. I will get back to you later this evening.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 August 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again Pedro Dow, so pleased you got in touch. It will probably be easier to chat via email but you will have to post 2 more messages (you can simply say 'thanks' or 'hi') before we can exchange a private message (PM) on here to swap email addresses.

I was actually sent a copy of the photo a little while back, but it was only a photocopy of a photocopy so not brilliant (but still a thrill to see). The clever photo enthusiasts on this forum were able to enhance it slightly, but we would love a better copy if possible.

We have got one generation further back than Richard - his parents were John Leigh (millwright) and Mary Jarrett. Both are believed to have died in 1827 leaving Richard (aged 10) and 2 other young children, plus older ones.

We have also found info on the original (born 1845, Southwark) Walter Robert's full siblings (John, Elizabeth Caroline - who married Henry Packman 😀) and Mary Ann).

Looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks again for getting in touch.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 August 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Been re-reading all my Walter Robert posts 😀. Amazing to see this one started in April 2012; i only started researching our families (Walter Robert is my husband's great great grandfather) in February 2012. It has become a daily passion, helped hugely by many people on this site.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 August 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Pedro, i see you've been online here again today but you've not posted any reply. I have sent you a personal / private message but not sure if you'll see it until you have posted 2 replies.

Looking forward to hearing  from you.

Deirdre

Offline Pedro Dow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi  Deidre 784.  Delay in replying as I seem unable to get my head around using the Rootschat site.
I Can't find all your previous posts re the Leighs.
Any how will 'E Mail' you direct.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Pedro, only on my phone at the moment but i'll find the other Walter Robert threads and attach links here asap (when on the laptop).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Deirdre