Author Topic: Proud and McMahon  (Read 6958 times)

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Proud and McMahon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
hi.
Yes it looks like Coxhoe on the death certs.
They were married in a Church of England Church but then the children were baptised catholics and Daniel was buried from a catholic church. Eleanor Proud was originally from Evenwood and Daniel was lodging in Evenwood in the 1881 census.
Delighted with all the info so far
eleanor

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 12 21:28 BST (UK) »

From familysearch.org

Burials Register
St Joseph, Patrick and Cuthert's Cornforth
Durham

Margarita MCMAHON aged 5 years. Buried 17th Oct 1885. Born about 1880

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 April 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
thanks - that might be one of the daughters.
I am wondering where I could get a copy of Daniels will given that i now have the number from the index
Eleanor

Offline Andy D

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 September 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
The West Cornforth building/church was demolished due to mining subsidence and the Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph’s was built in Coxhoe in 1966.  I believe burials of RC were carried out at the grave yard at Metal Bridge.  With Church of England burials in the grave yard at Cornforth.  There were McMahon still residing in Cornforth in recent years.

West Cornforth War Memorial
Denholm/ Denham - East Lothian
Denholm - Fife
McKenzie - East Lothian
McKenzie Redcastle, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Hudson - County Durham
Hudson - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Smart - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Sidaway - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Parry - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Billingham - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Dowler - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Hall  - County Durham and North Yorkshire
Gorst - Liverpool
Gorst - Cheshire Wales

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 May 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Eleanor,

My great grandfather Timothy McMahon was a brother of Daniel McMahon. He was born in Core, Feakle, Co Clare. I have carried out a lot of research on the McMahons of Core over the last 12 months and have a detailed family tree that I can send you. I have many letters that were sent from your grandfather John Ernest McMahon to my great grandfather Timothy McMahon. His sister Margaret Eleanor married a man from Core called John Moroney and they had children. I have details of this family including a photo which might be of some interest. I'm not sure about Mary Sarah. I have seen Ernest ask about Minnie in his letters but im sure he referred to here as his cousin. I will have to check up on this.

Regards,
Noel.

Offline BarbiMcGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 August 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Eleanor and all, I was visiting my first cousin yesterday and his wife asked if I could help her find her great grandmother's side from England/Ireland, I have ancestry and she needs help with computer searching...  Margaret Proud from England married McMahon (from Ireland) both died young, the McMahon husband born in Ireland, moved to England and became a policeman  : three children, Mary, Ernie, (John Ernest) and Cissy (they don't know her given name just went by Cissy)..  her great grandmother is Mary McMahon, when the parents died the three children were sent back to Ireland.    The child Mary emigrated to New York.  Mary married John Kelly.  have that info. My email is (*).  I'd love to learn more as I am just piecing this together for the granddaughter of Mary McMahon and great granddaughter.  Lovely to meet you!

P.S. she said the family thought Ernie was a Butcher. and he went back to family in County Clare.

BarbieMcGrath,
Norwalk,Connecticut,U.S.A.   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 August 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you!!!

Daniel McMahon (1853-1887) born Core, Feakle, Co. Clare moved to Durham England where he became a police constable. He married Margaret Eleanor Proud (1860-1886). They had 3 children,
Mary Sarah (Minnie) B. 1881, John Ernest B. 1883 & Margaret Eleanor B. 1884.

After their parents death in 1886/87, the children were returned to Ireland. Minnie and John Ernest went to Daniels brother John McMahon in Cappa, Tulla Co. Clare. Margaret Eleanor went to Daniels sister Bridget Hayes in Caher, Feakle, Co. Clare.

Margaret Eleanor married John Moroney from Core, Feakle and had 3 children, Daniel, Packie and Mary Kate. She died at a relatively young age and John remarried. John Ernest married Mary Burke, worked as a customs officer and had 11 children. (his grand daughter is on this forum)

I had worked out that Mary Sarah (Minnie) emigrated to New York and married John Kelly. I have 4 children that they had, May, Elizabeth, Frances and John Ernest. I haven't any more information on her so it would be nice to get an update on what became of the family.

As to where I fit in, My great grandfather Timothy McMahon (1856-1938) was Daniel McMahon's younger brother. The house where they were born still stands and is in good shape. I am hoping to renovate it some day.

I will forward on any relevant information and photos that I think might be of interest to you.
I also have a detailed McMahon family tree going back to the early 1700's.

Regards,
Noel McMahon.

Offline BarbiMcGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 August 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Noel,

What a surprise and a delight you are to have sent the info. I can't wait to send you back something good as well.  I have Aunt Alice looking for photos to scan and send you, I live around an hour from them but we'll be back & forth, I'm the worker bee haha! Love to all, I replied to your email with some details but am gathering more for you.  Thank you so much for the detailed response, this is very exciting!
Barbie

Offline PeteTheMag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this old thread and I wondered if there was any update on your research into Daniel McMAHON and Margaret Eleanor PROUD?

Noel, I notice that you have found eleven children for John Ernest McMAHON and Mary BURKE.  Could you tell me their names, as I only have ten.

Best regards
Pete Beardmore
Derbyshire: BEARDMORE; RADFORD
Staffordshire: BEARDMORE; OULSNAM
Co. Durham: McIVOR; PAGE
Co. Clare: BURKE; McMAHON