Author Topic: Philip Docherty & Sarah McLauchlan Help please  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Miyam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philip Docherty & Sarah McLauchlan Help please
« on: Thursday 05 April 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
2 of the most common names but I wonder if anyone can help with this one.

They are my g.g. parents and marriage on my granny's certificate states 25/02/1871 in Co Donegal which I think I traced to Milford Inishowen, but have another date which states ""Marriage: Philip Docherty [58786] Sarah Mc Lachland [58787] [MRIN: 19292] on Friday 3 Feb 1871 in Donagall, Ireland.
As you can see there are so many different spellings which is making the searches very difficult.

I can trace them on the  1881 Scottish census address at 13 Brick Row Kilsyth. Stirlingshire.
I have no idea where or when they were born or died.
Dillon,Docherty,McLauchlan,Donegal,Antrim,Cushendun,Ireland,Stirlingshire, Kilsyth
Palmer,Manchester,Warwickshire,NSW Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Docherty & Sarah McLauchlan Help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The two surnames might be very, very common in Donegal/Derry but the good news is that your family went to Scotland so there are other helpful records available.

Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 so the marriage certificate will be the only one of these 3 items available.

You've found the family in the 1881 census which will give a guide to the ages of Philip and Sarah. Have you found them (or their children) in 1891, 1901 and 1911 cesus records yet? the last is the one most likely to have a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Miyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey  and thank you for the very prompt reply. Both relatives were born around 1853 but Scottish census records have up to 5 years difference and also alternate name spelling. On the 1881 census I have found both with 4 children listed. (all born in Scotland)
Philip   1853    28
Sarah  1853    28
Bella    1874    7 
Edward 1875    6 
Philip    1878    3
Patrick 1880    1 
In 1891 both parents and only 2 children at home (presume in service or similar at time)
Philip    1851    40
Sarah    1851    40
Edward    1875    16
Patrick    1879    12
John         1882          9
James       1885          6
Elizabeth  1888          2 (my gran)
After that there is no trace of them or the family, but I can follow my Gran's life only. I know that my mother spoke of HER gran staying with them when she was young. She was born in 1916.
It certainly doesn't help when there are different name spellings and ages.
I have searched an Irish site for the marriage but there are about 3 different couples around that time and not a single 1 on the date in my Gran's death certificate.
Thank for getting back to me though and will keep looking about for some more clues.
 Marian.
Dillon,Docherty,McLauchlan,Donegal,Antrim,Cushendun,Ireland,Stirlingshire, Kilsyth

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I had a look for this marriage and can find a partial match,

Philip Doherty = Mary McLaughlin, 1871, Malin, Inishowen, you said you thought you had a match for Millford, Inishowen for Sarah, but Millford is not in Inishowen, it is in the Barony of Kilmacrennan.

The only Sarah McLaughlin I can find with a marriage in 1871 was married in Millford, actually Rosguill CP, but she married a James McBride

If the first record proves to be correct there was a Philip Doherty baptised Malin RC church in 1852, there was also 2 Mary McLaughlins baptised in the same church that year

Not sure if this helps

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Miyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe.
Thanks for that but she was definately Sarah.
On my gran's certificate it states date of marriage as 25/02/1871.
On RootsIreland.IE there is both a civil marriage and a church marriage that states:
MARRIAGE: 1871 Inishowen Registration District, Volume 2, Page 207.

S. McLaughlin marriage recorded at Millford as a civil marriage.

MARRIAGE: Saturday 25/02/1871 Inishowen Registration District, Volume 2, Page 216.

Would purchasing one of these give more details etc?

Thank you for your help.

Moderator's Note: screen-shot removed- please transcribe information rather than using screen-shot or cut and paste from other sites.

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
1901 census still in Kilsyth
address 30 High Street
Barr Land

the name is transcribed as Dockerty
the family are the same as above
with the addition of a grandson (Patrick Diver) born 1894 Kilsyth
there are a few boarders with them too,
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
hi,

the marriage in Millford Vol 3/386 is the marriage I mentioned Sarah McLaughlin = James McBride, roots Ireland have this marriage also (only sarah mclaughlin recorded for 1871) marriage registered at Rosguill, which is recorded as Millford on the family search site

The other marriage in Malin, Inishowen is Vol 2 page 217, Mary McLaughlin = Philip Doherty

there are only 2 marriage records for a philip doherty 1871 donegal the marriage above and

vol 2 page 207 the second marriage does not have a  sarah mclaughlin recorded on the same page??

confused :-\

update

checked these marriage records again can see:

philip doherty = mary McLaughlin, malin, inishowen 1871, Vol 2, 217, church and CP record in rootsireland also in familysearch

philip doherty = Alice Odonnell, Clonmany, Inishowen 1871, Vol 7, 151, church and CP record in rootsireland also in familysearch

Philip doherty = Bridget --------, Carndonagh, Inishowen, 1871, church record only rootireland

Philip doherty = ------------, Inishowen, 2/207 on familysearch site, (suspect this record and the church record above are for the same marriage, although I don't see a matching Bridget for the CP record)

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Miyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine & Joe.

First Elaine..I have no info on the 1901 census so thanks for that. I do know Isabella married a Patrick Divers so once again an alternate spelling of the surname. It gives me something to work on. Much appreciated.

I have just found Patrick (son)  b.1894 d.1899 who's father Patrick also died the same year.

Joe, Now I am really confused. I know Sarah was sometimes called Sally but it still doesn't make sense here. The only solid info was on my Gran's birth certificate and stated the fore mentioned and the date 25/02/1871. so I really am at a loss as where to look as none of the children were born in Ireland and I haven't managed to find out when they came to Scotland apart from knowing their first born was 1874 according to census records. I want to thank you though for the effort you have gone to as I know how long these things can take. Will keep trying :)Thanks

Offline Miyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Still beating my head but found something that is confusing me.
On Philip and Sarah's info for district of Kilsyth Stirlingshire I found her listed as Sarah "Black" ???
I know it is one and the same as the children match up but why would it have McLauchlan on certificate? This is the first I have come across this surname and there are none in my tree. :-\
Even using this name I can't find any reference to a marriage in Co Donegal in 1871 at all.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.