Author Topic: Mary Ann Curzon/James Wilshaw Canal Boatman, Stoke Upon Trent  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Curzon/James Wilshaw Canal Boatman, Stoke Upon Trent
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
My family come from Etruria Hanley Stoke on Trent and we had and have many artists in the family. I will ask my cousin for you.

That looks interesting, especially given the location

Since my original post, I have discovered a matching black & white portrait photo which was posted online from a USA descendant of my Grandmother, Martha Ann Barker's (nee Simcock) Brother, Richard Simcock, who emigrated to the USA c1920. They assumed that it was Richard Simcock's Mother, Elizabeth Wilshaw b1861 Trent Vale who was living at 52 Ogden Road, Stone, Staffs. at the age of 50; rather than his Grandmother Mary Ann Curzon b1833 Stoke-On-Trent, who was living at Baddeley Green, Norton in the Moors, Leek, Staffordshire, at the age of 48.

The puzzle deepens.

So, trying to identify the painter named 'Wilton' (or photographic colourist, which I think unlikely due to the artistic quality), makes it even more crucial in order to identify whether a GGGM or a GGM.

Lawrence

Edited: Have since compared the painting to the photo, they are different, with the painting made from the photo, so we're definitely looking for a painter named 'Wilton', and not a photo-colourist.
Curzon, Wilshaw, Simcock, Barker, Bailey, Churchman

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 December 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if you wanted to post the picture on the Date and Restore forum. Someone may be able to date the picture from the style of clothing. It may give you an accurate date and you may be able to ascertain who the person in the picure is...just a thought

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if you wanted to post the picture on the Date and Restore forum. Someone may be able to date the picture from the style of clothing. It may give you an accurate date and you may be able to ascertain who the person in the picure is...just a thought

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion, but had been posted there back in 2012 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=591250.msg4420432#msg4420432

Dated as 1880’s which in fact matches estimated date of its ornate frame.

Their comments about photo colouring or overpainting can now be ignored due to the discovery of the B&W photo which although of similar pose, etc, is different in many other respects, such as size and shape of face and other features, although her rings, the chair, cabinet are all similar, suggesting a painting made from the photo.

I am becoming more confident that this is a portrait of my GGGM Mary Ann Curzon rather than my GGM Elizabeth Wilshaw which my USA distant relatives believe it is; as the former would have been 47 years old, whilst the latter only 19 years old at the estimated date of the portrait. But, of course, as with all these genealogical things there is another possibility that it is my GGGM from another line  :-\   Hence the continued search for the painter named ‘Wilton’, which if successful, may provide a further clue.

Lawrence
Curzon, Wilshaw, Simcock, Barker, Bailey, Churchman