Author Topic: MOREY -Help needed to know if Jewish in origin  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOREY -Help needed to know if Jewish in origin
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi List

We have Isaac Morey who married Jane Stoneham 3 March 1829 Alverstoke and lived in Portsea Hants before moving to Cowes and he is our 2 x Great Grandfather who was son of a James Morey and Ann nee Knott (sometimes) Nutt or Knutt from the Isle of Wight.  We descend from Isaac/Jane's son Benjamin Morey (a Pastrycook and Baker) B 1848 Cowes and he married Emma Jane Roads Floyd.

What we are trying to establish is that the family descent way back has some Jewish origins because of the names used by Isaac (who incidentally was a Ship's Biscuit Maker in Portsea) and who manufactured biscuits (the hard black sort!) used on the old War Ships in Napoleonic Victorian eras to feed the Sailors/Mariners etc. crewing.

Isaac had  sons Alfred B Cowes 1838 and one called Samuel B Cowes 1842 and other children (not all survived - (but a Baker's dozen emerged from Benjamin and Emma's union)!

We know that the origin of the Morey went back to Yapton Sussex in the 1600's. but need to know where they started out if there is sks out there or anyone researching the same line of Anthony Morye in the early 1600's.
McMinn Clark Sproat Milroy (Millroy) Scotland
Ohara Cantwell McMinn  Ireland
other names and locations are *Trew *Biddlecomb Jeffery NobbsMorey Attrill Morris Pain Drudge Flux Day Hiles/Hailes/Hayles** IOW & **USA

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MOREY -Help needed to know if Jewish in origin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 12 12:57 BST (UK) »
Have you traced Isaac's father, James?  And connected his ancestors to the Sussex family?  Or is it just that the name seems to have originated in Sussex?

Since Isaac and Jane married in an anglican church, I think it unlikely that Isaac was of Jewish origin. Many families used biblical names, like Isaac, Esau, Abraham, Benjamin, but were not of Jewish origin.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
No reason at all to think that he may have been Jewish. In my ancestors I have coal miners from the Forest of Dean, all married in church, with the names Enos, Enoch, Samuel and Job.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to |Hackstaple and Little Nell for your swift response.  I was told by someone in the family that the origins were Jewish.  Strange because maybe they did originate from some origin like France before 1500 era and nobody seems to know how the spelling of Morye came about.  Perhaps this was just because the latin was written this way and possibly nothing to do with any jewish connection or link.

So, it wasn't just the names and we do believe the rumour on this is possibly genuine as somehow they originated in Yapton Sussex but we don't know where they were prior to this time.

Thank you so much  John
other names and locations are *Trew *Biddlecomb Jeffery NobbsMorey Attrill Morris Pain Drudge Flux Day Hiles/Hailes/Hayles** IOW & **USA

Offline enwau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to |Hackstaple and Little Nell for your swift response.  I was told by someone in the family that the origins were Jewish.  Strange because maybe they did originate from some origin like France before 1500 era and nobody seems to know how the spelling of Morye came about.  Pe
well, McIlroy, McIlveen, McKinney, Medina, Meehan, Mello, Melo, Meloni, Mendelsohn, Mendes, Mendia, Mendoça, Meneses, Menezes, Mentler, Mercês, Metello, Miller, Miranda, Mohr, Montanha, Montay, Monteiro, Mooi, Morais, Morbey, Moreira, Morey, Morgado, Morris, Mosso, Mota, Moura, Mourão, Mueller, Muguet, Munell, Múrias.
N Nahon, Nahum, Nascimento, Naypliotou, Nazareth, Nesbaum, Neto, Neumann, Neves, Nogueira, Noronha, Nunes, Nuñez.
O Olazabal, Oliel, Oliveira, O
I may be able to help you there.I am personally fairly convinced that Morey is a jewish name.I have a link to a dictionary of sephardic names see above

Offline enwau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Firstly i apologise for an abortive attempt at a reply. I have found this link and personally remain convinced of Morey surname jewish origins

Inquisição | Literatura e Vida Judaica em Português
https://euroenigma.wordpress.com/tag/inquisicao/
Translate this page
Dicionário Sefaradi de Sobrenomes – Dictionary of Sephardic Surnames .... Montay, Monteiro, Mooi, Morais, Morbey, Moreira, Morey, Morgado, Morris, Mosso, ...  Hope this helps

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 February 15 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi enwau

Thank you for your reply which I have just read about Morey and likely Jewish origin of the name.  Is there any source which may also give clues on the name of Adhimar being linked to Jewish origin?

I think you may be more well versed in finding anything than I possibly could, having tried before.

I would appreciate any searches for further data available on this to try to enhance and enliven the research which has been shelved since 2012 because of the brick wall of the origin on names.

John