Author Topic: Davies of llywell  (Read 27196 times)

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davies of llywell
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
hi
 is it possible to find a family tree for the davies of llywell, i believe the families were all closely tide as it was a small village in the 1800,s
 i have been to llywell with my wife and seen the area,  i have been to llandrindod
(i think its spelt) and done some research of the parish records for llywell church,
but i live in norfolk and its a bit far to just pop over, if you know what i mean,
i have traced my family back to william davies son of rees and ann, baptists 1858
looks like 11th Dec,,, page 124 no 987 of the baptisms of llywell

william became a tailor and fathered my grandmother florence grace davies 1902,,
     but i can not guarentee the father of rees or the maiden name of ann.
there are to many rees,s and ann,s from the area, i have all the census back to 1841 but cannot make the connection with out going back to the records office
         any helpers

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of llywell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Well you certainly have got a tricky job on  your hands, because even nowadays the majority of the families in Llywel are called Davies!  Llywel is the parish church of the area and serves not only the hamlet of Llywel but also the village of Trecastle.  Do you have any idea where your Davies family might have lived?    That might help to narrow it down a bit; but I do believe that you are probably related in some way to every Davies in the Llywel/Trecastle area!

Regards
GS (who used to live in Trecastle)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
hi gs
   first of all i am new to the site and looking through other davies request i see you are the favourite for answering the davies questions, so best regards
                         my problem is although i am fairly good with the census because of the shear amount of davies in the area you cannot guarentee the correct family even with the same job title,,
   i have some parish records of families from llywell church which when searching thought they might be my family but on reflection with out a few more marriage certs its hard to tell,, i have a couple of pages from the church registry.
      questions.. are the llywell church records available on cd,,,?    has anyone managed to sort out the davies in some sort of order? that you know about,,,

anyway thanks for your reply,,  we are on holiday soon in prestatyn on some research on the st. asaph convent,,,   will see if i can take a day out to the records office in llandridod and see if a few more pages on marriages help
  best regards for now runmeywoodchippy

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
hi gs 
just reading your question the family so far as i know is as this

llywell parish records

william     Bapt, 11 (dec)  1858  rees & ann davies  Llywell village  labourer
Thomas    Bapt  19  aug 1860      "   "    "         "      Llywell village  labourer
James      Bapt, 10 Aug,  1862     "    "    "         "     Llywell village  labourer
Mary ann  Bapt  25 oct 1864         "   "   "          "     Ca*rly*****     Farmer

i Also have a elizabeth Bapt, 12th jan 1862 Rees & ann Trecastle  labourer
she is not on the census  so could be a different family or she could have died before 1871 

1871 census    Llywell Village
rees davies    head   34      abt 1837   llywell   farmers labourer
ann                wife     36      abt 1835  llywell   """"   ""   wife
william            son      13     abt 1858  llywell                   son
thomas           son      11     abt  1860  llywell                  son
james              son       9    abt   1862  lywell                   son

1861 census  Llywell Village
rees Davies     head      24     abt 1837     LLywell       Ag Lab.
ann                  wife       24      abt 1837    Llywell         "  "  wife
William             son        3        abt  1858  Llywell                son
thomas            son    9/12months   1860 Llywell                 son

i havn,t got rees and ann in the 1851 census yet  ,,

best regards rumneywoodchippy

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
I think you might take some degree of encouragement from the fact that the Davies family of Trecastle/Llywell are all related, so if you can connect with one, you will connect with all of them, and they are all, without exception, lovely people!

Somewhere I have a book called 'Roots and Branches' by T Evans which gives details of the various families of Trecastle/Llywel.  Not sure if it is available generally, I know it was privately published.  I have also some rather extensive research notes which I did when living in the area; I will see if I can find them too.

Llywel village is really tiny - there are only about half a dozen houses there - so theoretically it shouldn't be hard to find out where your family lived.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
anwyl rhymney,
Your family appear on M.I. C22 at Llywel P.Ch. There are about 5 names on the inscription(just checked my survey) The parents  of Rees were William & Ann Davies. This family appears in T.O.Evans book Roots & Branches pp. 126.
Garfydd

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
thanks gs and garfydd,
   seems my new projectwill be book collecting again amazon have the book in listing and on cd but not in stock,, so would presume in time i may acquire a copy,, sound invalueble as a source to famly history..
     if the parents of rees born abt 1837 is william and ann davies does this mean the father of ann is david davies age 80 and she was visiting him with rees and maryann in 1851 Breconshire > Llanfihangel Nant Brane > District 7 > 24 ,,
     its the right age for rees and he seems not to be around in llywell

gs..  not to be to personal,, but are you a davies???......

garfydd..  does anwyl mean something different in welsh than dear,,??
isn,t dear spelt with two n,s, ;D  ::)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Tommy Evans' book 'Roots and Branches' is an interesting piece of work but tends to be rather subjective in places so needs to be treated with some degree of caution.  I have a copy somewhere so I will see what it has to say about the Davies family.... if I can find it since my house move last year.

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 April 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
thanks gs. and thanks for your time
     some of my family lines have been very interesting if not hard to trace ,, my g, grandmother from ireland, elizabeth hughes has been a great mystery for year, and the davies very hard just by the shear amount of families around,,  now you have said that the llywells are related in some form i will start to put together some family chain,,  do you know if there is available on cd copies of the llywell parish records,, from llandrindod record offices maybe? 
     regards for now rumneywoodchipy