Author Topic: Davies of llywell  (Read 27230 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of llywell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
I have found my copy of Roots & Branches now: here is an extract of the piece referred to by garfydd:

"William Davies born 1858 was a tailor at Canolmaes.  He married 25.4.1879 Ann daughter of Rees Davies and they had issue: 1879 Margaret Ann, 1880 Walter James; 1882 Mary Louise; 1884 Walter Rees; 1886 William John, 1888 David James."

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
thanks gs.

on the 1911 census william is on his own with 4 children including my grand mother florence grace,  the 1911 census asks how many children were born and how many are still living,,. i was quite shock to find william had seventeen children,, i only have nine at the moment in my tree,
    The book has added a couple of more children from the early days, thankyou for the information,,,   unfortunately in 1911 only ten children were still living,, but we all know life in the old days was a bit harder, without the meds we have today..
    i,ll send of for the marriage cert now i have a exact date,, couldn,t do it before there is about lots william davies marrying an ann davies..

thanks for you help, will post some more soon
                                                      regards rumneywoodchipy

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have an address for the family in 1911?  I see from Roots & Branches that Tommy Evans gives their address as Canolmaes, which is a house in the main street of Trecastle.  If you google Canolmaes, Trecastle you can see a picture of the house as it appears to be for sale!

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
hi gs.
  i thought canolmaes was a house name,, who does tom say is living at the  house in trecastle , william 1858 is living at no4 king str. brecon with
Elizabeth A Davies    41
William J Davies    14
Elizabeth P Davies    10
Susannah P Davies    9
ivor e Davies    4
Llewelyn t Davies    9 Months

in 1911 he was living at 4 Maendu Court. brecon.with
William Davies    53
Ivor Edgar Davies    14
Llywellyn Tom Davies    10
Florence Grace Davies      7
         elizabeth is no longer around wonder if she died..

have sent of for another birth and marriage cert today from brecon will see what turns up,, must be a headache for the registrar he.he. so many same davies,, with same names,,   

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 April 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
In Trecastle, because so many people have the same surname  they generally don't use surnames; it is like that today so presumably it has been that way for a very long time.    To differentiate between families, they used the name of your house or farm.  Thus if William was living at Canolmaes he would most likely be known as  William Canolmaes.   Thus when we lived at Bear House in Trecastle, my husband was known as Mike the Bear.  We always felt rather sorry for a friend of ours who had bought a cottage next to the village public lavatory.  The locals referred to the house as Toilet Cottage (not its real name) and consequently the hapless owner became known as Dai Toilet.

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
hi gs
 thanks for all the informations one of the baptizms i was unable to read and now im awear of the name its writen very much the same,,
     still waiting for another marriage and birth cert,  but  just received a copy of roots and branches  by T evans,  had a flick through,, very interesting book specially at the beginning where he explains how children are name after grandparent  ,,  the copy of the book is on cd and came from ireland of all places,
   you are right some heaving reading,,
                            again thanks for your help
                                     regards for now rumneywoodchipy

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 April 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Roots and Branches can be rather heavy - as someone in Trecastle commented "It reads rather like Genesis in places".  There is, however, an awful lot of useful information in there but as I said before, some of it needs to be treated with a little bit of caution.

Enjoy the reading of it though - as a matter of interest the family I was researching was the Nicholas family, and there is a chapter devoted to them in there.  They are not family, but the house we owned was their home in years gone by.

Regards,
GS

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
hi gs

i thought the same that the book was like reading the bible as well, but we could say its the bile of llywell, he has certainly done some research from the area to put the book  together, and some good clues to other parish records,,
   am i right in thinking that canonmaes is a house name only, reading the book it sounds as if it is a place, it mentioned several times in the chapters im reading,, also is Gilfach a place  south of brecon (roughly) or could this be a houe name,
      you said canolmaes was a house in trecastle but i could not find it on google maps i hade a stroll down the main street but couldn,t find the house, any help with what it looks like,     as i enter trecastle there is a cafe on the left   with red 40 mile speed limit on the road,,      further up i come to the first row of houses before the bend  on the bend there is Pendre cottage on the right and further round a few farms on the right.
   coming back in to town there is the pub the castle coaching inn now on my left..    now most of the small cottages are now on my right is it one of them

hope you are well     best regards rumneywoodchipy

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
hi

no worries have found farm just past llywel church,,
     on the census its spelt with a y in the name,, canolymaes
also spotted a gilfach  this side of trecastle   a road which goes up to a house/ farm it would be more likely to be the gilfach  t. evans is talking about

regards all best wishes rumneywoodchipy