Author Topic: hoping for information  (Read 8689 times)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hoping for information
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 12 12:04 BST (UK) »

Mary Wing Naylor married Larner Maidwell  mar quarter 1843 Thetford 13   475

Thetford is a reg district of Methwold

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

If you're going to Hilgay - you may find this link useful.  Memorial Inscriptions in Hilgay churchyard.
There are a few graves for the Wing family.
Sorry I don't have a churchyard plan, but the numbers may help.

http://epitaphorigins.info/Xhilgay.htm

By the way, is it parish baptisms, marriages and burials you are searching for?

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline allatlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Yorkslass

Yes, I've seen the headstone inscriptions on line and we are meeting one of the bellringers there tomorrow. Looking for anything to help fill in the family tree and get a picture of the people mentioned on the parchment Will I have (signed with a cross).

Bev

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bev,

Could you tell us what information you already have on these families?

For a total novice, you haven't done badly going back to 1749  ;D

I wonder if you have seen the Norfolk parish registers which are online and free to view.  Many Norfolk parishes are there, with images of the registers, which is brilliant.

Do you have Larner Maidwell's baptism - it's a pretty unusual name, and this baptism would fit with the census that Pam found. (it's right at the bottom of the second page) -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11587-90502-54?cc=1824688&wc=6895482

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 April 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
And here's Philip Maidwell's marriage - in 1808, again Methwold, to Ann Larner.
If you didn't know already, that's where the unusual Christian name comes from.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11587-89849-29?cc=1824688&wc=6895482

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline allatlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 April 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Yorkslass thank you again for that - it's amazing!

No I haven't personally slogged to get back to the 1700's, I just happened to find a box of documents and photos when clearing out my aunt's bungalow. I have been looking for  information to fill in the many gaps in the tree and was hoping to locate an ancestor in the USA who would find the family photos, letters etc. of interest.

I'm thrilled to say that she found us first, via Ancestry (and a lot of hard work). When I sent her copies of the photos and letters she didn't know existed, between her grandmother and mother it .. to quote her 'knocked her socks off' . (her grandfather was a Maidwell).

She arrives Mid May and I'd like to get this in some order before then. We are continuing to search which is great fun, but as I am a novice to the computer and ancestry sites, I have a lot to learn. ???  It takes me about 15 minutes to get to your reply when you send one!

Thank you and Pam for your kindness and all the help.

Bev

I am truly grateful

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 April 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
I couldn't resist looking a little further into this family.

Hilgay parish records are online, and you may well want to search them yourself - as you say, it is fun, but sometimes frustrating!

Can I just ask about the birth date you give for John Naylor of Lakes End?  You say 1878, but looking at the censuses etc. - looks more like the late 1700's.

This family seemed very helpful, in giving their children Christian names from their mother's maiden name, which can be a "clincher". 

Like this one - a baptism of Mary Wing Naylor, daughter of John Naylor and Sarah, baptised Hilgay September 7, 1819 -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12584-97402-61?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-QR3:n597948680

Another interesting thing is that John Naylor is shown as a publican.  I don't know what pubs were around in 1819, but it would be good to know which one he was the licensee of.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline allatlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 April 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Yorkslass. I do have the post code for the Rose & Crown at Hilgay, to put in the Satnav. My husband would be up for a tour of the area looking for pubs! I might be in the church on my own.

It's so nice that you are interested in this family - do you have a connection? When I get time to spend a few quiet hours going over them and their dates I'll try to draw up more of the tree. Yes it's helpful when they remarry and take past surnames with them but, not so, when generations are all names after each other.

I think I managed to forward these emails to my cousin in the US successfully, she is a Maidwell descendent,  but there are rules to this site - have I broken any?   :-\

Enjoy the rest of the Easter break - but maybe not the weather.

Thanks again

Allatlo

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 April 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I hope you have a good day at Hilgay tomorrow, and the rain eases off ...

I thought I'd have a look at a later census for your John Naylor - and was amazed to find him still alive in 1861 - aged 103!! Still living in Hilgay with his daughter Sarah. I'm sure you were aware of this, having some papers relating to him.

I thought - this must have been in the newspapers!  And I had a look online, and found ( on the 19th Century British Library Newspapers) the following report - from the Bury & Norwich Post, dated November 14, 1865 -

Headed - "One hundred and seventeen years old
The late Mr John Naylor of Hilgay, who died on the 30th ult., and was supposed by his eldest son to be only 110 years of age, appears from the parish register of Welney, to be 117, he having been born on the 29th May, 1748.  In 1825, the deceased retired from his business as a publican, he having kept the Crown at Downham, and the George and Dragon at Hilgay in succession, and has since lived in a small property of his own in the latter village.  He was always a smart, active man, and constant in taking his walk up to October, 1860.  Since that time he has been confined to his house, but used to sit up in his chair for some portion of the day, until June, 1864, when he did so for the last time.  His sight failed him of late years, but his hearing was so good until recently, that he could distinguish the voices of his friends, and he was rational until within six weeks of his death."

Apologies if you've already seen, or know of this.  What a marvellous man he must have been!

I can't see that you have broken any rules - the site has what they call "moderators" who would tell you (in the nicest way possible) if you had  ;)

And no, I have no connection to the family, but I am very interested.  Now off to see if I can find John Naylor's baptism, which the newspaper helpfully indicates.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire