Author Topic: Bensons Sweets Bury  (Read 10940 times)

Offline Llenrap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bensons Sweets Bury
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching the Bury area through my grandmother's diaries and found a reference to the family going on a tour of Meadowcroft's Sweet Factory in Bury in January 1905. Perhaps this became Benson's?

Hope that helps
Martin

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know the history of this sweet makers?
I believe my grandma went to work for them age 10 in 1892.She could eat as many sweets as she wanted. Sounded wonderful.
Sue.

A friend and a family member worked there in 1970s/1980s. They both stopped helping themselves to sweets before the end of 1st week.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
A member of my family once had a stop-gap job at White Hudsons in Southport, a sweetie and stick of Rock factory, and said no-one ever wanted to eat the sweeties made after the first few days. Think it must have been fairly general.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)