Author Topic: Please help me find a London, Ontario 1950s death  (Read 4137 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find a London, Ontario 1950s death
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 April 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
You mentioned Find A Grave.  I don't believe "too many" Canadian headstones have been recorded, to date.  You might continue to check, as there's a chance you may eventually find the headstone.

Do you know when and where Bessie passed away?  Could he have lived near her?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 April 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa. I'm on the road so can't check. I recall that there is a Bruce tree on A. It has death info for William Laurence Bruce; none for Bethina Elizabeth Bessie Wilson. (I sent them a msg to see if they know anything abt her brother but am not holding my breath as they've not been online for over a yr).

Once I'm back at my desk late Sun I also need to check to see if John came to Canada from Scotland in both 1922 & 1923.

Tx again for your help.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

TX again for your help.

I'm wondering if the Detroit border crossing John Wilson is a different fellow from mine.   ??? :P  There was a John Wilson of approx the right age on the 1922 ship that was noted on the border crossing info, but the manifest says he was Irish.

(I couldn't view the form on my laptop while I was away, so very much appreciated you providing a bit more of it in this thread. :))

Could it be a coincidence that the Detroit border crossing fellow also had a sister named Bessie - same as my JFW - & that my JFW's 30A form from 1923 stated he was going to Manitoba to be a harvester, and the Detroit crossing fellow says his last address was in Saskatchewan. Darn!  ??? ::) ;D

There is an available wedding certificate for Bessie Wilson marrying a fellow, surname Bruce, & her parents are the same as those belonging to my JFW. Sooooooo, my thought is that I have the right sister, and the 1923 30A form for JFW is definitely correct. It's an uncertainty that the Detroit crossing is the same fellow.

Back to the drawing board to find this death date.

I've been trying to figure out the Ontario death certificate process. Do I have this correct in that if the death is after 1939, then one has to be able to prove the family connection in order to receive the certificate? If one doesn't know the exact year of the death, is it possible to have the government do the search within a 10 year period?

Many thanks for any additional direction as always. :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi  there.

There is another border crossing for John F Wilson 24 May 1924 ( on *A*). The heading says the crossing was at St Alban's Vermont but the image says Detroit Michigan ( this appears to be a common occurrence on *A*).

John F Wilson 26 Auto Worker going to Detroit Michigan for 4 months. Last perm address Saskatoon Saskatchewan. POB Gillingham Kent. Canadian contact his sister Besse Bruce of Downsview Ont. Detroit is not far from Downsview (Toronto) and it is entirely possible that John could have visited Bessie on his way to Detroit.

I don't see too much of a problem with John starting out in Winnipeg and then ending up in Saskatoon. His first job may not have lasted long or, in fact, not worked out at all so he moved on. The Form 30A certainly seems to point to an auto-related occupation. (Maybe he just said he was willing to work the harvest as a way to get into Canada?)

I think the border crosser is quite likely your man.

You are correct about the death cert process in that you have to meet certain eligibilty requirements due to privacy laws, although I'm not sure if the 1939 index has been publicly released yet (?) ... up to 1938 is though. I don't know the answer to the question about not knowing the exact date.

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much polarbear

TX for weighing in! I'll look up that second form.  :)

The challenge with the first border crossing into Detroit, 1923 is that all the info aligns except for the ship he came in on and the year he came. It specifies arrival in 1922 & I can't find an arrival for my guy in that year. I can clearly see him on a 30A form arriving on the Megantic in Aug 1923.

However, I'm shifting back to thinking the 1923 Detroit crossing is for the right fellow, just with the wrong arrival data.

I found a travel form in the 29 Apr 1928 for Bessie Bruce returning to Canada with 2 year old daughter, Isabella (she'd been away 4 months). She lived at Russell Farm, Downsview, Ont. I think, like you, that's the same sister.

The death of JFW occurred sometime in the 1950s. Unfortunately, as he ran off never to re-appear on the Scottish side of the pond, the grandchildren don't have anything to prove their lineage. My connection is that he was a great uncle to my husband, so I don't have anything to prove lineage either.

At least it's encouraging to know that he had family in Ontario, so there may have been an obit if I keep digging. Alternatively, I may live long enough to see the 1950s will become a public document. ;) ;D

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Here is a link to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid. If you put John F Wilson and Middlesex for the county (London is in this county) in "search" you should get a number of Johns and one John F. The John F is buried, I believe, in Parkhill, which is just outside London. Once you have the info from the search you can follow the link to the "contributing organization" (line below search on the home page) for contact info to get the particulars. A small fee is usually charged.

http://ocfa.islandnet.com//

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like the John F Wilson in the Parkhill cemetery died in 1933.  There is a photo here

http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/ONP12755/index8.html

RK

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Oh, too bad. Great find RK!

PB

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks RunKitty & Polarbear.

I had been casting about on the site & was about to ask if there were tanscripts or photos. RunKitty beat me to the post & answered the question.

While we haven't nailed the info, I really appreciate your assistance.