Author Topic: St Luke's, Cheetham, Manchester  (Read 16663 times)

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Luke's, Cheetham, Manchester
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
Church burial records show on the left of each entry two numbers, written one above the other like a fraction, which I understand are a grave reference, with row (top) and grave number (below).
To the best of my knowledge these numbers are not inscribed on any headstone, which makes finding a grave impossible.

Does anybody know if a plan of the cemetery showing grave locations exists?  And if so where might I obtain a copy?

Regards

Jolyon 

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Luke's, Cheetham, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
I went to the St. Luke's last week.  It is very overgrown and fenced off.  Even if you could find the location of the grave I doubt you could get access.  It is very sad that it has been allowed to get into this state.  The church building appeared to be in ruins which is probably why it fenced off - for safety reasons. I was left wondering if there would eventually be attempts to sell off the land for development.  Does anyone know if MIs have been recorded?

I came away wondering if anything could be done to improve the situation.  I live in the USA and wasn't sure how to go about it.

Offline RonOne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 22:38 BST (UK) »

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
There are alot of the records for St Lukes on Familysearch
In the collection:

England,Lancashire,Cheshire,Yorkshire Parish registers1603-1910

Burials from 1840 to 1932
Baptisms 1839 to 1890
Marriages 1840 to 1915

Heather

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are Monumental Inscriptions available for St Luke's Cheetham Hill.

I ordered the microfilm from the LDS but I would save your money as they were filmed badly and you cannot make them out.

I think Manchester Library has a copy.

The Grounds of the Church have Japanese Knotweed, so it is illegal to enter the grounds.  I did Contact the North West Heritage Trust as they had notices around the grounds when we went.  But they weren't very helpful in regards to records or where to find them and they never returned my calls, when I left the enquiry. :-\

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
First, my thanks to everyone for their contribution but, with respect, there is little new.

Second, some background/further info.  A recent brief 'accompanied' visit to the cemetery to find a family plot was when I noted headstones were not, so far as I could see, inscribed with a reference number so I had little chance of locating it.
(The grave I am interested in [ref 28/13] is for the Parker family).

As an ex member of M&LFHS I am aware of a book of MI's with a note of the first interment (Thomas Albert Parker) in July 1884, but I am also aware three other members of the family were subsequently buried in the plot but suspect only one of them was added to the headstone along with Thomas Albert.
Only viewing the headstone will confirm this, plus other words inscribed, hence my desire to view and take a photo.

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jolyon

I see you drew a blank on the other forum as well  :(

Why not try a different approach in asking a question of Canon Ian Gomersall, Diocesan Archives Committee.

Do a bit of research first on the freedom of information act and quote that at them.

If it was me I would find a way in (broken fence) legal or not  ;)

Mancsman
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Mancsman,

Thank you for the contribution but I don't think there is anyone I haven't contacted over the past 6 months, including Ian Gomersall at the Diocesan Archives Committee. 
I have had varying amounts of success, with M/cr Archives and NW Heritage Trust very helpful and I did, as mentioned, eventually gain access, but had the problem identifying the grave due no reference number on headstones as described.

A lady at NW Heritage is going to look see if they have a graveyard plan in the paperwork they inherited but I'm not holding my breath.

Regards

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
The images of the burial records are on familysearch. The grave number appears to be written at the side of each record. As there are hundreds of records, it will take along time to search them all.
Do you have any idea of the dates of the burials for your Parker family?

Heather