Author Topic: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 January 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
The maps are fascinating, thanks Shane.

I've been googling schools and have found that there were Christian Brothers schools in Waterford.

Just wondering where William may have had his education (he was born in Essex, his father was a gradener, and the rest of the family lived there all their lives). There's a later link to Waterford where at least one of William's descendants went to try out their vocation / or train for the priesthood.

There's so much I'd love to find out, sorry for all the questions. Waterford and Greenville are definitely on our list for places to visit when we retire.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 January 13 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Was there a census in Ireland in 1861? Or travel records?

I can't find William and Margaret in the UK in 1861, though their son Edward was born in Essex in 1859 and they were in Bristol by 1862. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 January 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Was there a census in Ireland in 1861? Or travel records?

I can't find William and Margaret in the UK in 1861, though their son Edward was born in Essex in 1859 and they were in Bristol by 1862.

There was a census taken in 1861, but it does not survive. It was pulped in the early 20th century - apparently during a paper shortage in WW1.

All of Ireland was part of the UK then, so there are no shipping or immigration records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 January 13 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, shame about the census.

Stupid question re travel, sorry - just didn't realise people could travel distances so easily in those days.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 October 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Returning to the Meany family, is there any way I can find out what churches were in Greenville in the 1840s and 50s. Would there be any church records anywhere?

Looking for Margaret's birth around 1839/1840, her father's death before the marriage in 1858, and her parent's marriage. She had a brother Edward too.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 November 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Dunkitt Church of Ireland Parish would include Greenville - some C of I parishes are defunct or amalgamated with others - However looking at my listing of surviving C of I parish records Dunkitt is crossed out which usually means the records are lost but there is a note to say
"see copy in Kilmacow Vestry Minute Book "
Looking at Kilmacow which is a different parish their records seem to be held In Waterford C of I Cathedral archives .
Suggest you contact the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin - website
http://ireland.anglican.org/information/63 and they may be able to clarify if records have survived and where they are.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 November 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much annclare, that's great.

Not sure what religious denomination they were - William was baptised in the CofE but at least 2 of their children were Catholics and I eventually discovered that W&M were buried in a Catholic cemetery. Before finding their marriage at the register office, I'd assumed Margaret was a Catholic.

But I'll definitely use your link and see what I can find out. At least I know the area I'm looking for - another branch of my family is simply recorded as being from Ireland! Thanks again.

Update: have sent them an email.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 January 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Quick update to say that I've been in correspondence with several people now starting with the RCB library in Dublin who referred me to the Dean of Waterford. She couldn't help but forwarded my message to a parishioner in Tramore. They suggested I try Kilkenny Cathedral, who have suggested I try the Family History Centre in Kilkenny or .... the RCB library in Dublin, so I've gone full circle ;D.

While no-one was able to help, I should add that they were all very friendly and responded quickly, but I guess this will be a dead end  :'(

Still can't find out how (or why) William was teaching in Greenville :-\