« on: Thursday 12 April 12 01:22 BST (UK) »
answers received thanks

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Hely
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
Rosa Hely,aged 86 buried Douglas Borough cemetry,19th of April 1953, is this one ,

Annie Frederica Hely,aged 76 buried Douglas Borough cemetry 30 th of Jan 1953

do you have no further details ,where did they live on the Isle of Man in  any census
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
James Swift Hely is shown on a passenger list as bc.1850 Calcutta, India - he was a Mariner - married Rosa M'Math 1874 Castleblaney, Co. Monaghan.

You list their children but do not state the eldest child:

Hamilton M'Math Hely b.1876 Castleblaney, Co. Monaghan - he had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy (at one time a 2nd. Lt.) and married a Norwegian girl named Lubie (shown on one record as Thrine Lubie but don't know the surname).    On 1/12/1921 he, Lubie and children emigrated to Auckland, New Zealand - he is shown as a Mariner, with Lubie, and Andrew 15 (Andrew Hamilton McMath Hely b.Montreal, Canada), Arnold 14 (Arnold Stanley McMath Hely b.Birkenhead), Arthur Hubert McMath Hely b.E Southsea, Hants.), and Edna 10.  They left from Southampton on the 'Arawa'.

Sometime between 1901 and 1911 Rosa became a widow and lived with son Richard (a Bank Clerk).   Lived at Greenland, Ramsay, Isle of Man and wonder if the 'Gracelands' you refer to should actually be 'Greenland'.

Have found a marriage of a Frances Mary E. Hely to, I think, a David James in 1905 Liverpool and wonder if this could be Mary Frances Elizabeth Hely?

Have found Rosa and children on 2 census - can give you details if you don't already have them.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

You might be interested in the following site, which indicates that they hold photographs of both Hamilton and James Swift, which can be ordered.

http://www.irishmariners.ie/searchdatabase.php?srch_surname=hely&srch_forename=&srch_identityno=&submit=Search

Also the National Archives have the service records, again for both men, while they were serving with the RNR. Hamilton certainly had a distinguished career, being mentioned twice in dispatches and awarded the OBE for his service in Russia in 1920. According to the WW1 medal roll JS Hely died 9 May 1919.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=last_name%3dhely&catid=50&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Martin

Offline bellmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your answers:

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
1901 Census - The Crescent, Maughold, Isle of Man

Rosa Hely   Marr. 54                           b. Monaghan, Ireland
Mary F E Hely     22                            b. Louth, Ireland
Annie F. Hely      20                            b. Monaghan, Ireland
Rosa B. Hely       15                            b. Rock Ferry, England
Richard M. Hely   10                            b. Lancashire
plus a servant
No occupations

ref. RG13 - 5302 - 18 - 10.

(In 1891 were in Aughton, Lancashire.)

Not allowed to post 1911 Census details but if searching on Ancestry they are indexed are 'Kely'.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berg54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
....married a Norwegian girl named Lubie (shown on one record as Thrine Lubie but don't know the surname).    On 1/12/1921 he, Lubie and children emigrated to Auckland, New Zealand - he is shown as a Mariner, with Lubie, and Andrew 15 (Andrew Hamilton McMath Hely b.Montreal, Canada), Arnold 14 (Arnold Stanley McMath Hely b.Birkenhead), Arthur Hubert McMath Hely b.E Southsea, Hants.), and Edna 10.  They left from Southampton on the 'Arawa'.

This was all useful corroboration for my families oral history from my Aunt ( Andrew H.M. Hely widow) .... Lubie's maiden name was Jorgensen. In addition Hamilton and Lubie had another Daughter, born in Auckland ..Patricia Lubie Thrine M'Math Hely 1925 - 1995 ...my mother. Andrew was also a Mariner, Ships Captain for the Union Steamship Company in NZ 

cheers