Author Topic: Richard Morrison - Sarah Patient -Caleb Patient  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Tony Harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Richard Morrison - Sarah Patient -Caleb Patient
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Richard Morrison and Sarah had 3 children Richard Caleb b 1759 and Bewley and Ann Sophia b 1762. There is a marriage in 1764 For Richard Morrison to Sarah Patient which I am fairly sure is correct as their first child Richard Caleb named his first daughter Sarah Patient Morrison.
However Richard when he was Captain of the East Indiaman "Duke of Kingston" had as Purser a Caleb Patient. Since their first child was called Richard Caleb I think Caleb Patient may be Sarah's father.
Now comes my problem in the SOG index of PCC Administrations 1750 -1800 there is a Caleb Patient who died in foreign parts, date of admin Aug 1771 ( The " Duke of Kingston returned from China in July 1771) I emailed the National Archives and now know that Aug 1771 is in PROB 6/147 however since this covers all of 1771 I have been told "Rather than request a copy of the whole document, I would suggest that you consult one of the published indexes to find out which folios are relevant to your research and then only get those parts of the document copied." Can anyone tell me what indexes are published as I am lost.
Tony
Hackney London   Harrison, Blunt, Norton, Clayton, Callow
Bristol  and Gloucestershire Awre, Jones, Birt, Hawkins
Surrey   Apps, Stone, Jupp, Harrison, Roberson
Lincolnshire   Nidd
Northampton   Blunt,  Marriott, Tero, Wadsworth,
Warwickshire Adams, Griffiths, Davis
Worcestershire   Callow
Cornwall  Tucker, Broad, French
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Morrison - Sarah Patient -Caleb Patient
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

The SOG index as well as giving the piece number should also give the folio number - f then a number which would indicate where precisely within a whole microfilm of administrations for that year the actual administration is. The National Archives is referring you back to the full entry in the SOG index or another similarly published index, if there is another for that period.

Regards

Valda

Offline Tony Harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda
The SOG index does not give folio numbers, I rang them this morning to see if the information is on the card index but they said what was online was all they had. I was hoping some kind soul could guide me to another index that has the information as I have searched without success. I had hoped that if the admins were in date order that the August information would be sufficient to get me a copy. Thank you for your help
Regards
Tony
Lincolnshire   Nidd
Worcestershire   Callow

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Marriage banns published in April/May 1756 St Matthew Bethnal Green Middlesex
Caleb Patient bachelor and Jane Pratt spinster both of this parish married 22nd May. Witnesses John Etchley? and John ?pcany

Caleb and Jane had two daughters baptised at St Leonard Shoreditch - Elizabeth 24th September 1758 born 5th September and Mary 20th August 1760 born 19th July. The family lived in Hackney Road.

Baptism
9th September 1736 All Saints and St John Hertford
Caleb Patient parents Thomas and Anne

Regards

Valda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

That seems to be the only index for PCC administrations for that period unfortunately.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/wills-and-probate-records.htm

Regards

Valda

Offline Tony Harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda
Thank you for your replies I looked at Caleb who married Jane Pratt in 1756 he was the son of Thomas Patient an apothecary (deceased) late of Hertford. Caleb was an orphan when he was apprenticed to a master to become a clothworker the sum was £5 and was paid by charity money from Christ Hospital In 1778 he and his wife appeared at the Middlesex Sessions of the Peace Court (National Archives).
It looks as if the only way to see the admin is to visit Kew and go through PROB6/147
Regards
Tony
Lincolnshire   Nidd
Worcestershire   Callow