Author Topic: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
I have tried to reply to this 3 times, I hope it goes through this time!
I was looking up Martin Collins of Kilcommon today as he now appears on my own family tree.
I have searched for him in the parishes of Kilcommon, Newport, Cappamore and Doon and he is not in the birth records for 1852, 1853, or 1854.
Martin married Johanna Carey of Reachurch (also known as Coonmore near Kilcommon) at Kilcommon Parish Church on 9th February 1891. They had the following children:
Edmund 1892, John 1893, Michael 1895 Patrick 1892, Bridget 1891, Mary 1900 and Annie in 1901.
The family appear on the Census for 1911 at House 2 Knockshanbrittas, Glengar. On the census Martin is aged 51 so born in 1860. I have searched again for Martin in 1860  in all of the parishes with no success. Very curiously the family don't appear in the 1901 census. Whether the document has been lost I don't know. Only one of the children appears and that is Patrick who is aged 3 and staying with his maternal grandmother Mary Carey.
My relationship with this family is through Martin's wife Johanna. Her paternal grandparents are my great, great, great grandparents.
It is possible that Martin whether born in 1853 or 1860 was in Australia to marry Eliza Tedford in 1881. Did she die soon afterwards so that he was widowed? Did her Martin dissappear for over 20 years to go back to Ireland? Was he a bigamist or just someone else entirely? If you ever find out I would love to know. Wishing you the best of luck with your search, Fiona

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
After reading the posts I had a look in the births etc.
They may not have returned their 1901 census information as it would have been listed.
All the children were registered in Tipperary as in Tipperary town.
Looks like they all stayed in Ireland.

What I did see was this record for County Tipperary people going to Australia.

COLLINS   Martin      1841   29   Cloghjordan   Patrick / Mary   xx   Protestant  {husb of Mary,24.}   Ship =   Canton
COLLINS   Mary      1841   24   Cloghjordan   "deceased"   xx   xx {wife of Martin , 29}   Ship =   Canton

Looks like 2 Martin Collins, 1 went to Australia and the other stayed in Ireland....no Relation.
Maggsie

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.
I agree there could have been 2 Martin Collins.
Martin died in 1939 & Eliza in 1943, both in Qld. They are buried together in Drayton Toowoomba cemetery. They had children in Qld in 1884, 1886, 1889, 1890, 1894 & 1897. His death certificate gives his parents as Martin Collins and his mother as Margaret McCarthy, and his birthplace as Kilcommon, Tipperary, Ireland. It also says he had been 72 years in Qld, so he came to Qld about 1867. He could have come to somewhere else in Australia before that but he is listed as 86y at death, & 28y at their marriage in 1881, so was only born about 1853. Their marriage certificate says again that he was born in Kilcommon, Co. Tipperary, Ireland and had those parents. It also says he was a bachelor. It also says Eliza was a spinster, but it does have a marginal note that she was actually a widow. She had previously been married to William Fox and was married as Eliza Fox.
I wonder who the Martin and Mary were who came to Australia in 1841.
These are the Martin Collins people I've found who came to Qld as assisted immigrants:
Martin 21y on the Rockliff in 1863, with Maurice 24 and Daniel 25 from Plymouth
Martin 11y on the Earl Russell in 1864 with John 39, Margaret 33 (or 13?), Simon 14 (together on list) Patrick 23, & Cornelius 24 & John 22 (together on list) from Plymouth
& Martin 20 & James 20 on Great Britain in 1873 from Liverpool

By the way, there are posts about Martin's sister here:
http://boards.ancestry.com/SearchResults.aspx?db=mb&gss=ancMB&hc=10&rank=0&adv=&p=surnames.ryan&csn=Ryan&cst=board&gskw=collins+kilcommon&psrch=&_F00029CB=&_F00027E2=&period=&_F0002BF1=&_80004003
and
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.collins/5944/mb.ashx
She married 4 times in Qld:
1875 C997 Michael McLauglin Margaret Collins
1878 C183 Margaret McLaughlin Michael Carroll
1887 C556 Margaret Carroll William Hayes
1902 C701 Samuel Muckle Margaret Hayes

Offline nicolaagnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 July 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was John Collins Kilcommon and he is the John Collins outlined in the family you named.I can update you on all his family members. I am his granddaughter and I never met him as he was older than my grandmother and died before I was born.He lived on the farm at Glencar Kilcommon and this was  sold in the 1960 hence there are no Collins in Kilcommon at this time,

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi Nicola,
Thanks.
Do you mean the John Collins in the family Fiona named, John b 1893 with parents Martin Collins & Johanna Carey?

Offline nicolaagnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the John Collins I was talking about parents Martin Collins and Johanna Carey.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Oooh!
Good luck to you all, but I seem none the wiser about my Martin.

Offline helnjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 February 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am currently researching my Great Grandmother Margaret Collins. I have seen other posts here and yes, I cannot find the birth/baptism of Margaret. She came to Australia on the Indus, I think, arriving in Brisbane on 29th Dec 1874.  Records show she was 19. Her 1st marriage was 10th Jan 1875 to a Michael McLaughlin and her age at that time showed she was 20.
Her parents were Martin Collins and Margaret McCarthy and her marriage certificate shows both she and her husband were born in Kilcommon Tipperary. Their witnesses were Timothy and Mary O'Neil.
After much searching and reading, I found previous chats on RootsChat to discover there was another Martin Collins and must have been Margaret's brother as he had the same parents and from Kilcommon. I have found his marriage certificate and he was marries to Eliza Fox, a widow, and formerly Tedford. I also have a copy of his death certificate and he is buried in the Toowoomba Cemetery.  To think I lived in Toowoomba for many years and did not know any of this! It just means I cannot find anything on either of them in Ireland.  I feel Martin came to Australia on the "Great Britain" arriving in Moreton Bay on 1st Jan 1874 as I can see his name on the passenger list for that ship. Naturally there were many Martin Collins who came to Australia so on looking at the ages, the one on the Great Britain seems the most likely one. If anyone can throw more light or ask any questions, that would be great. Thanks Helen

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I can't investigate too much right at the moment but will get back into it again soon. It's wonderful that someone really is connected to the one I'm connected to.