Author Topic: Baptisms in Pwllheli  (Read 4648 times)

Offline mineraite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptisms in Pwllheli
« on: Friday 13 April 12 13:30 BST (UK) »
Please does anyone have access to any baptisms for the following all born in Pwlhelli  ???
JONES William b.12 8 1891 d.1942
JONES John b Aug Q 1894 d 1 4 1895
JONES William Barker b.abt Sept 1895 d.18 11 1895
JONES Sydney(fem) b.19 4 1897 d.1980
JONES Ellen b.23 10 1905 d.5 10 1906
JONES John b.23 10 1905 d.28 9 1907----Parents were William Barker & Jane Jones
The William Barker Jones b.1891 always used the middle name Barker and it seemed strange to name the one in 1895 the same so I have presumed he added it to his name sometime after WBJ 1895 died. Would appreciate any help Regards Tom

Offline mineraite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms in Pwllheli
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
I have now realised the possibility of William Barker Jones born Pwllheli 1895 died aged 2 months is probably the son of Robert Barker Jones born 1865 Pwllhelli and who married Margaret Griffiths in St Catherines Church Criccieth March Q 1894.-I was told he was elected Deacon @ Tarsis Chapel abt 1920. I would apprecite His marr and Death Details if they are available anywhere-Thanks Tom

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello; what information do you already have ?

Have found loads of census entries for the famil - I've gone back to 1851 through the census for Robert and William's mother Ellen and also forward to 1911 for both of them.  Can't trace the parents in 1861 nor the grandmother but they are there in 1851 and 1871.

There are a couple of entries in the London Gazette for Robert when he was appointed Postman in 1895 and when he was awarded the Imperial Medal in 1925.

Robert Barker Jones' death was registered in the March quarter of 1937 and William Barker Jones' in 1924.

Let me know what you have.  I believe there are copies of the Church Records in St Catherine's.

There are also some records for the Calvinistic Methodists in Pwllheli at the Archives in Caernarfon - Capel Tarsis was one of the CM chapels in Pwllheli.
Nesta

Offline mineraite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the info re death of Robert.--I do have all the census info inc 1911. I did find several of the family had just added Barker to their name as and when it suited them--including my own father who died in 1943. Everyone in my family presumed he was baptised William Barker Jones but this does not seem to be the case. I have had one or two baptisms and burials from the Vicar at Pwllheli Church, which has helped in a big way, but I do not want to outstay my welcome so to speak. My Grandfather William Barker Jones died in 1924 and I have a pic of his headstone in Deinio was a brother to Robert. I have also purchased Part 1,2,3 & 4 of M/Is for Deinio Cemetery which has also given me some valuable info. I have always expected to come across a relative in the Pwllheli area but no luck so far. Thanks Again Tom  ;D

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 12 18:35 BST (UK) »
No problem at all.

I think the Barker came from Ellen who was William Barker Jones' mother she was Ellen / Eleanor Barker before her marriage.  Her mother Ann Barker lived next door to them in 1871 and Ann is living in Custom House Square with 4 daughters as a widow of a sailor in the 1851 census but I can't find any of them in 1861 - have you ?

On ancestry there is a marriage for Ellen Barker and William Jones in Pwllheli in 1858.

My husband's family are the same with their middle name which was his grandmother's maiden name which my F-in-law was given as middle name; he began using it as part of the surname and so did my husband's sisters we gave it to our son who also uses it as part of my surname my husband tends not to and I definitely don't ....too much of a mouthful !

If you want me to see if the Criccieth Registers are available for perusal - let me know.
Nesta

Offline mineraite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Nesta, Thanks again and I also failed to find them all in the 1861 Census but I must admit that was a few years ago. William Barker was drowned off Milford Haven while serving as a mate on a ship named "Sisters". aged 37 Years. in 1849.- I wrote to Trinity House and had a wonderful response with copies of the original widows petition for financial assistance. I also have details of William Jones m. to Ellen Barker on the 23 12 1858 in Pwllheli Parish Church-Witnesses Robert Morgan & Mary Barker---Ellen was still living in Custom House Square in 1858 and William was living in Pentrepoeth in 1858. I would like to know if there are any records available in Criccieth but do not know if I would be able to  visit personally.  ::)Thanks Regards Tom

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
fascinating stuff  Tom, I tried both FindMyPast and Ancestry and couldn't see them, one of them usually tends to come up trumps.

I'm from Criccieth and will make enquiries and if the registers are here I will go and have a look through for you...........can happily spend hours going throught the Criccieth Registers there are so many entries related to my family - including my own wedding !  I assume you would like some info on the Robert Barker Jones marriage .....

sorry to be a bit dense but what was his occupation - William's that is - setter maker ?
Nesta

Offline mineraite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for that,--When I started abt 5 years ago I was purchasing Census discs and a quick search reveals I do not possess the 1861 for Caernarvonshire--so maybe there was a problem with the Pwllheli Census etc  I have a pic of some workmen in a Quarry in Pwllheli and a sett maker was the man who shaped or trimmed small pieces of rock(preferably granite) to the correct size to make cobbled streets such as Coronation St etc. The old cobbles were much deeper than modern ones and would have been almost the length of a brick stood on end as they made them to last in those days. I will welcome anything on the Barker Jones Family from Criccieth Church--I would have liked to see the entries from The London Gazette  :o But not sure how to go about it--Thanks Regards Tom

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I will see what I can do .............

Here are the London Gazette entries; you can search it free but it is a bit fiddly I learnt how to search it by trial and error when I was researching a more moneyed (very rare) section of my husband's family.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26612/pages/2004

the last line on the first column

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33112/pages/8126

and about two thirds of the way down the second column

Nesta